[GUIDE] Off-roading!

logo.png

You're probably saying "What the F%^#? Isn't this Geo guy supposed to stick to RageMP Guides?!". I know, I know.. 

As an avid Off-roader and the founder of the Los Santos 4x4 Freaks, I thought I'd make a guide to assist players in Off-roading RP. What to do, what vehicles work, what vehicles don't! With the new Hunting system implemented, I feel it is necessary to provide some information for those wanting to off-road. Alas, here you go! 

Section One
Know your vehicle! 

Spoiler

The physics in Grand Theft Auto games is often a laughable quality. In GTA:World, you can climb Mount Chilliad in a Dinka Blista Compact, granted you have the necessary Engine, Transmission, and Turbo upgrades. In this segment, here are some of the few Off-Roading vehicles offered in GTA:W, with the links to them attached! 

Vehicles
Bobcat

Bodhi

BeeJay XL
Bison
Caracara 4x4
Contender
Dubsta

Duneloader

Everon
Guardian

Hellion
Kamacho
Mesa / Mesa Off-road
Patriot
Rancher XL
Rebel
Riata
Sandking
Seminole Frontier

These are a few of the capable Off-roading vehicles that are offered in the game. The prices vary, but they are mostly the same in trait.

Section Two
What do I need to Off-Road?

Spoiler

It is not uncommon for individuals to pack the following, for this can be rped, and utilized if a situation occurs!

Equipment you should consider!

First Aid Kit

Emergency Water

Emergency Food

Two-Way radio's (Not Walkie-Talkies)
A Spare tire

Recovery kit (Tow Straps, Snatch Straps, etc.)

LED Work Light / Flashlight

Tire Repair Kit

Jump Starter

Hand Tools (Wrenches, Socket Sets)

Navigation system (One which utilizes both L1 and L2 frequencies of GNSS / GPS / Beidou / Galileo and GLONASS Satellites)

These are some of the common things I bring, and what I see others bring as well. A good rule of thumb is to pack what you need. Chairs, tables, and BBQ's take up a lot of space, and is unwise to pack in a vehicle.

Section Three
Riding Alone.

Spoiler

In the four years being a Trail Leader, I always advise against travelling alone. Complications with you vehicle's engine, tires, and transmission are not uncommon when off-roading. If you were stranded in the middle of a remote location and you were stuck, chances are no one is coming to save you unless you have provided details to someone else. 

In the case of riding alone IC'ly, always let someone know where you are going, how long you are going to be there, and to let authorities know if you do not come back at a certain time. Although /changechar exists, it's always nice to RP a scenario where you didn't cover your own butt. 

Section Three
Riding At Night.

Spoiler

Riding at night is equally dangerous to riding alone. If your headlights short out and you're stuck without a light source while driving, you're stuck until sunrise. Natural light goes a long way for an Off-Roader, hence why most trails are commenced during the day. For recovery missions, most Trail Safety members travel in three's if not six'es. If one vehicle fails, they abandon it, note the coordinates via GPS, and ride with someone else.

In GTA World, the mountains get dark. Luckily, the moon provides some light if you are out in the open. If swarmed by tree's, rocks, and other natural boundaries, one must exercise extreme caution while overcoming these obstacles. 

Section Four
Vehicle capability comparison.

Spoiler

The driver must know their vehicle's capability prior to enjoying the unpaved road. More specifically, the engine of your vehicle provides enough reasoning to base your IC knowledge off of, and RP events accordingly. I will be comparing two vehicles below, so you are able to see the thought process I take when determining what my vehicle can and can not do.

In this segment, we will be comparing the Sandking and the Canis Seminole.

Sandking 

VTWxvWE.png

In real life, the Sandking is based off of the Ford Super Duty. I know that the FSD is a V8 Engine, and takes Diesel gas. Find a picture of the FSD Engine Below.

wB0ObAC.jpg

In this case, the Sandking has a high payload, power, towing, and overall good off-road capability. The Sandking's obvious lift and driveline maintenance tells the driver that it can easily clear taller obstacles. Here are some concerns that I see with the SandKing

- A truck of this size is heavy, even if you air down the tires, the ride will be stiff, bouncy, and jittery.
- The weight will also force vehicles down in mud / water, risking a bottom-out
- Although a 6.7L Powerstroke Engine produces a lot of power

Here are some things I like about the Sandking
- The 6.7L Diesel engine is massive and powerful. Thus, creating a lot of Torque
- Its high towing capacity can be used in Recovery.

- Diesel Engines can be put under a lot of stress, ensuring the driver that the vehicle can handle most High-RPM situations.

Verdict?
 The Sandking is an excellent off-road vehicle. The buyer must be weary about its flaws and RP them accordingly. All in all, a good vehicle to take on the elements! 

Seminole Frontier

TNWaypR.png

In real life, the Seminole Frontier is based off a 1st / 2nd gen Jeep Cherokee / Wagoneer. I use a 1995 Jeep Cherokee myself, so I have a lot to say about these. Here are some of my dislikes.

- Unless lifted, the Seminole lacks in wheel clearance. Mud / Sand deposits can break integral parts of your vehicle.
- The Seminole (All older Jeep Cherokees) are bound to have Coolant issues. Making it an unstable vehicle unless cleaned regularly. 
- The Seminole wheel well size would only be able to fit 31" tires with no Driveline adjustments. Anything larger would rub against the wheel well.

Here are some things I like about the Frontier

- The In-line 6, 4.0L engine is virtually indestructible, it will only fail if you want it to.

- The in line six produces the most torque out of all V6 / V8 engines, making it a zippy vehicle. 
- The Manual transfer case is desirable, as electrical problems are ruled out.

Verdict?
I will always have bias in favor of the Seminole as it is what I drive IRL. Alas, it is an excellent off-roading vehicles. Capable of any obstacle you throw at it, so long as you have the necessary modifications. 

All in all, this is to provide you with some insight on what you should look for in your vehicle. Most of the information can be found online, and is severely fun to implement this in your RP. 

Section Five
Realism.

Spoiler

To be curt, anyone can fully maximize a vehicle at Garages in GTA World. In reality, one should be careful on how they off-road. Just because your vehicle is equipped with a Turbo and Engine upgrades does not make it able to climb steep slope mountains without the Engine overheating. You should always be sure that you are driving a vehicle as you would in real life. GTA physics are comical in the way where vehicles are capable to do extraordinary things, if you RP dropping gears to climb steep slopes, then you can accelerate up the mountain in game, where you would slowly creep up in a real life setting. 

Seeing Willard Factions scurry up a hill is a comical sight. Please do not be the one to ruin the RP for everyone else. Exercise judgement and realism when you decide to partake in Off-Roading RP, even if you're doing it alone. 

I hope this has provided you with some basic knowledge on Off-Roading in GTA World. It is a blast if you exercise realism into the Roleplay. See you on the Trails!

Your friend,

Geo.

Edited by Geo.
  • Upvote 8
  • Applaud 4
  • Geo. changed the title to [GUIDE] Off-roading!

My character ran an off-road business and honestly, the most dejecting thing was people not roleplaying for the environment and vehicles, really frustrating to see, so a guide is nice to see.

Me and a group of folk went camping, some spot only really accessible by air or water realistically, yet two hunking units came smashing down a mountain and call it "extreme off-roading".

Yes, certain vehicles when kitted out, CAN handle pretty extreme terrain, but there's a limit to that.

I just hope people read this or do some research for it. Going up Chiliad on a Sanchez when your character wouldn't be a proficient rider or know the trail, is unrealistic, imo.

28 minutes ago, Protheus said:

Fantastic guide, @Geo.!

It made me think over a few extra things, and you may even have swayed me from buying a Kamacho to a Seminole Frontier.. Great looking car, and a trusty partner out on the road🤠

Hah! Thanks for your feedback! IRL, I lead massive rigs around the mountains, and my vehicle only has a 4 inch lift kit. Not so much the size, but what's in it! 

Here's an image, mine is on the right, my twin sisters is on the left! We love older vehicles, and we twin in that regard! 

hxDNOGr.jpg

• Applaud 2
On 4/12/2021 at 4:19 PM, Geo. said:

Equipment you should consider!

First Aid Kit

Emergency Water

Emergency Food

Two-Way radio's (Not Walkie-Talkies)
A Spare tire

Recovery kit (Tow Straps, Snatch Straps, etc.)

LED Work Light / Flashlight

Tire Repair Kit

Jump Starter

Hand Tools (Wrenches, Socket Sets)

Navigation system (One which utilizes both L1 and L2 frequencies of GNSS / GPS / Beidou / Galileo and GLONASS Satellites)

These are some of the common things I bring, and what I see others bring as well. A good rule of thumb is to pack what you need. Chairs, tables, and BBQ's take up a lot of space, and is unwise to pack in a vehicle.

This is a great guide overall, and this section has helped me to at least know where to start researching what my character would need for her 4x4 vehicle.

Thank you.

Thank you @Geo.!

I’ve gone off roading in my stock 2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 approximately 3-4 times. Had to drive two states away for it, making it a 3 hour drive total. Anyways, most people think that because they have a raised vehicle, that they can just plow through off road trails. While it’s true that those Dune Buggy vehicles are literally designed to rock climb or surface climb, not many people’s vehicles can. I go about 1 mile an hour when driving over rocks IRL. It’s a mix of gas, then brake once I hop the rock so I don’t slam down. Of course, this is because my IRL vehicle has a standard height, though its clearance is good for a green (beginner) trail. Too many people just race through obstacles at speed.

Im also glad you mentioned some cons with heavier vehicles. Seeing the guardian on the list made me think ‘who would ever want to take that to a trail’ lol. Thing is massive and heavy.

I’ve gone with two other friends to the Land Act Dam to off road in game and we actually roleplayed climbing some hills and rocks. Actually roleplaying it instead of just driving is a really nice experience, because it’s passive RP with your friends and you can just enjoy yourself.

Anyways, I’m rambling on. Thanks for the guide!

14 minutes ago, Zani said:

Thank you @Geo.!

I’ve gone off roading in my stock 2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 approximately 3-4 times. Had to drive two states away for it, making it a 3 hour drive total. Anyways, most people think that because they have a raised vehicle, that they can just plow through off road trails. While it’s true that those Dune Buggy vehicles are literally designed to rock climb or surface climb, not many people’s vehicles can. I go about 1 mile an hour when driving over rocks IRL. It’s a mix of gas, then brake once I hop the rock so I don’t slam down. Of course, this is because my IRL vehicle has a standard height, though its clearance is good for a green (beginner) trail. Too many people just race through obstacles at speed.

Im also glad you mentioned some cons with heavier vehicles. Seeing the guardian on the list made me think ‘who would ever want to take that to a trail’ lol. Thing is massive and heavy.

I’ve gone with two other friends to the Land Act Dam to off road in game and we actually roleplayed climbing some hills and rocks. Actually roleplaying it instead of just driving is a really nice experience, because it’s passive RP with your friends and you can just enjoy yourself.

Anyways, I’m rambling on. Thanks for the guide!

Hey Zani! I LOVE the 4Runners! I had a '98 sr5 for my very first vehicle, it will always have a soft spot in my heart.

Black ice came out victor, that 4Runner saved my life. 

Iyat7pb.jpgy2Hw6V2.jpg