[LSNN] We meet the ‘Trail Doc’ as the State Senate passes hunting legislation and hunting fever takes over San Andreas

books

5yHwzO3.png

We meet the ‘Trail Doc’ as the State Senate passes hunting legislation and hunting fever takes over San Andreas

As the state passes new legislation on hunting, we gauge reactions from seasoned hunters and delve into the issues the regulation seeks to ameliorate 

By PHOEBE HOLTER

WOUJ9Pj.png

Los Santos, SA With a unanimous vote of support, the Hunting & Animal Protection Act of 2021 sailed through the State Senate last week. 

The new act will provide a fresh legal framework to regulate hunting in the state.

Species restrictions, the creation of an exam for those seeking a permit and bans on leaving carcasses are all just part of the new list of rules that hunters must follow in order to hunt legally within the state.

The new legislation comes after calls in the community for more oversight as an influx of shooters have flocked to the famously scenic area around Mount Chiliad from Los Santos and beyond.

xe0AhgO.png

The area around Mount Chiliad is renown for its stunning scenery

Regular hunters in the area and organizations for those who partake in the sport, like Dr. Maverick McKay and the Los Santos 4x4 Freaks (a outdoors group for off-roading and hunting hobbyists) of which he is Head of Hunting at, largely welcome the new legislation. 

Sitting perched upon the mountainside alongside his instantly recognizable 4x4 clad in ambulance-like red and white, complete with the license plate "TRAILDOC"; the rugged Canadian born outdoorsman shared with us his own personal experiences with the problematic elements of the hunting community who have been causing issues in the area as of late.

"Recently speaking, I have seen hunters come from the city. They come in full camo’, use illegal weapons such as handguns, and shotguns. Contrary to the law that has been set for hunters."

"It is discouraging to see this, it paints a bad picture for hunters. Luckily, the FD and SD keep a close eye on the mountains, and most proper Hunters will point the authorities in the right direction."

eGwETvi.png

Wearing orange to help avoid misidentification, Dr. McKay positions himself beside a tree

The issues with these novice hunters clad in camo is two-fold, as Maverick explains. The first is that they pose an issue to the safety of those who are shooting. There has been cases of hunter on hunter fire, which Maverick has witnessed and attended to. Second, they can cause unnecessary suffering for the animals they shoot by failing to kill them. 

"Hunting shouldn't be about torturing animals. There is no need to cause pain to another for sport, that is just barbaric. We train our hunters to take the least painful approach to the animal when hunting. "

"It would unwise not to. I've tended to baby Coyote's, baby fawn's, all left by the poor Hunters."

"Gratefully, I've worked with Animal Ark to restore the health of these animals, and help release them back to the mountains, to their family."

It is hoped that the new exam that is being brought in for those wanting to obtain a hunting permit will alleviate some of these issues. No longer will ignorance be an excuse for dangerous hunting. The experienced mountain man and accomplished veterinary doctor expressed deep support for the new exam, both on a personal level and on behalf of the Los Santos 4x4 Freaks.

"My personal opinion and the opinion of the Los Santos 4x4 Freaks is that we fully support it. Spending forty hours a week up in these parts, I have seen excellent hunters, and dangerous hunter, the exam that is up would be an excellent way to keep great hunters in, and poor hunters out of the mountains."

lG5sNxU.png

'Trail Doc' , pictured with his rifle

The Trail Doc wasn’t the only one with this opinion. Seasoned hunter ‘DF’, a Los Santos resident who hunts regularly in the Mount Chiliad area shared his full throated support for the new barrier to access for the hunting permit.

“I think it’s a great idea.  We don't need people out there just shootin' around all willynilly. We need to make sure people know the rules and are safe before they go out.”

‘DF’, like Maverick, is not one of the recent intake of hunters in the area. Hunting from a young age, he spoke upon noticing the recent influx of visitors to the area, noting that recently the area’s been as busy as he’s ever seen it.

“Since I was a youngin'.  I used to go with my pops back home in Ohio. It’s a family thing for me but, I've never noticed so many people out hunting as there were this afternoon.”

But back on the mountainside at Mount Chiliad, the Head of Hunting at the LS 4x4 Freaks shares with us that this recent intake isn’t all bad news for those in the area. His organisation has noticed an uptick in membership, clocking a significant increase over the past few weeks.

“As of right now, we have one hundred members, twenty five percent of which were recruited recently.”

This spike of activity is both good for those who hunt. After all, under Doctor McKay’s learned guidance, they will be hard pressed to end up dangerous hunters. But hidden underneath lies a potential boon for the local economy. 

IuX034N.png

Another photograph of scenery around the Mount Chiliad area

‘DF’, our other experienced hunter, shares that he intends on moving to the Paleto Bay area soon himself. And no doubt, he is not alone in sharing those feelings. The renewed interest in the area may provide a much needed economic boost.

Regardless, the legislation has now passed the senate floor and as a result, the state should now see safer hunting as a result. 

Sometimes regulations aren't so bad after all. Happy hunting, folks!

Thank you to Dr. Maverick McKay, the LS 4x4 Freaks and ‘DF’ for sharing their knowledge and time with LSNN.

xI8d11c.png

> Comments are enabled

Username: 

Comment:

Edited by MotionSickness
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 2

Username: Animal Ark Gang

Comment: 

Animal Ark is currently caring for a female fawn and male coyote pup; both were rescued by Dr. McKay and brought in by him to the clinic. Both had serious gunshot wounds and required surgical intervention.

We really look forward to continuing our relationship with Dr. McKay.

Good luck to all the ethical hunters. And for the small minority of unethical ones please, before you next hunt, understand the impact that a careless action can have on a living creature.

1 hour ago, Greyfeather said:

Comment: 

Animal Ark is currently caring for a female fawn and male coyote pup; both were rescued by Dr. McKay and brought in by him to the clinic. Both had serious gunshot wounds and required surgical intervention.

We really look forward to continuing our relationship with Dr. McKay.

Good luck to all the ethical hunters. And for the small minority of unethical ones please, before you next hunt, understand the impact that a careless action can have on a living creature.

Comment: Spent time with the coyote. A bit aggressive, but responding to our care positively! Well-fed, and caretaker Amy is optimistic for the team to release to a good relocation after Doctor Nayeli's confirmation.

Side-Note: Groomer was able to do the most basic care following tranquilizing before re-captivating prior to a release.

Edited by AmeliaStruss