Anti-spamming rules for /ad /cad /bad

Kappaurel

Quite easy.

The current system allows the following

• Spamming ads every 3 minutes for platinum donators
  • Spamming ads every 5 minutes for gold donators
  • Spamming ads of the same thing if different players are contributing to it, even different kinds, you can see the same ad in /ad /cad and /bad (extreme cases, of course), if you have 3 players involved in it.

This is unbearable, we see the same ad posted every 3 minutes, come on, this is a joke, the amount of spamming.

THEREFORE

Rule that the minimum time to advertise the same thing, even if more than one player is involved in the ad-posting to be 10 or 15 minutes.

Just now, Yoak said:

Don't think its necessarily about disabling all ads. I think OP is fed up of people being allowed to spam the same ad every three minutes. Which I full heartedly support.

This is it, indeed.

[16:58:54] [Company Advertisement] LS City Gov | Remembrance & Celebration | B.J. Smith Community Center Grand Opening | TODAY 6pm

[17:21:04] [Company Advertisement] LS City Gov | Rememberance & Celebration | B.J Community Center Grand Opening | Today 6pm

[17:26:00] [Company Advertisement] LS City Gov | Remembrance & Celebration | B.J. Smith Community Center Grand Opening | TODAY 6pm

[17:32:02] [Company Advertisement] LS City Gov | Rememberance & Celebration | B.J Community Center Grand Opening | Today 6pm

[17:47:52] [Company Advertisement] LS City Gov | Remembrance & Celebration | B.J. Smith Community Center Grand Opening | TODAY 6pm

[17:56:52] [Company Advertisement] LS City Gov | Remembrance & Celebration | B.J. Smith Community Center Grand Opening | TODAY 6pm

And this is just an example of the many one can find every day.

11 minutes ago, Kappaurel said:

This is it, indeed.

And this is just an example of the many one can find every day.

Well as much as I do agree with you, I believe you should rather report the faction itself to the LFM in order to establish whether they're using the right platform to advertise themselves, I would assume that the spamming itself isn't as harmful? Like, if I really want to buy/sell something I'd put up an ad every 15 minutes and hope it doesn't bother others too much. The only idea to deal with this would be diversifying the /togad command into /togcad /togbad.

3 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Well as much as I do agree with you, I believe you should rather report the faction itself to the LFM in order to establish whether they're using the right platform to advertise themselves, I would assume that the spamming itself isn't as harmful? Like, if I really want to buy/sell something I'd put up an ad every 15 minutes and hope it doesn't bother others too much. The only idea to deal with this would be diversifying the /togad command into /togcad /togbad.

I don't have anything against the LS Government or the faction (I am even part of it), it was just the most recent example. This is a wide, general problem.

You said put up an ad every 15 minutes that's more okay, we see examples of ads of the same stuff every 3-6 minutes all the time, OR EVEN LESS if many players are using /ad /cad /bad

Edited by Kappaurel

The best way to handle this issue would be a queue system. Everyone would be able to do /ad, /bad and /cad whenever they want to, their advert would be in the queue (it would be removed if they disconnect) and whenever it is up, it would be posted. The difference would be that donators can add more items to the queue while non-donators will have to wait for their advert to be published or a certain time to pass before adding another one.

This way, the spam could be regulated. It would also allow people to view previous ads since they would have to be saved for a short amount of time before they are posted - it could be used backwards as well, in order to view the last X ads.

The rules already forbid the problem at hand but it's a gray area - people pay so that they can send more ads than normal, it's hard draw a line between what is a normal use of the perk and what is spam. The example above is clear but the vast majority of them aren't. The issue can only be properly fixed if the core problem is as well.  

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Entity said:

Everyone would be able to do /ad, /bad and /cad whenever they want to,

No: You'd be able to DO it, yes, but you'd not be able to GET THE AD DISPLAYED.

For anyone who seriously runs a business the idea is to get the ad visible, not be rid of the oh so tedious task of posting it.

That is why any reasonable game designer doesn't even consider queues, they make the whole system so dumb that ultimately there's MORE effort needed to get your ad up in time, not less (as you need to queue it eventually hours upfront, and constantly pay attention to how many are in queue so you can calculate your air-time).

I get it looks super tempting at first glance to just at anytime queue your ad and be rid of it. But it has only downsides, latest when your ad pops 2 hours later when you long forgot about that you meant to buy a car and are already involved in a shootout when someone calls you'll notice too.

Other servers and games offer this experience, I am not missing it here.

• Upvote 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic