Remove faction chat.

Short description: Remove the faction chat script.

Detailed description: Faction chat is an unnecessary addition to the game, and serves no purpose other than global OOC chat, which should seldom be used for anything other than informing people in close vicinity to typing errors, misclicks, desync issues or admin sits. I have been a part of a faction for 5 months on my main, and have rarely seen /f chat be used for anything other than idle ooc conversaiton, spamming memes, OOC comments on IC scenes such as using "/f LOL" for a funny line someone said or general trolling. In the few instances that it has been useful, it also has not been necessary. 

For instance, informing people in /f of sports results such as "I rolled an 8, I hit the ball to [insert name]" when we're too far away. In this case, /dolong could be used as a substiute. 

For idle conversation OOC, that's why we have /pm. 

Overall, /f chat is an unnecessary addition to roleplay. A global ooc chat is not necessary and I would say to an extent, kills immersion and roleplay pace. I can't tell you the numerous times I've missed a roleplay line due to memeyness happening, or how many requests in PM I've had to turn our faction chat off because people aren't being sensible. 

You could argue that you can just do /toggle faction - which is fine, but also unnecessary because the mere fact that it exists isn't useful to begin with, nor does it add anything to the game.

Commands to add: none

Items to add: none

How would your suggestion improve the server? Could potentially cut down on metagaming, spam issues in chat, OOC global idle chatter when /pm is a thing, and improve roleplay pace.

Additional information: None

Edited by celestialrage
1 minute ago, celestialrage said:

Any particular reason why? What does /f add that /b or /pm doesn't?

I can talk only to my faction members through /F, I don't need to bother everyone with /b, and/or sending everyone a PM. Any particular reason why are you not using /toggle faction if it bothers you that much? 

If faction chat becomes a distraction the faction leader can toggle it for all. Otherwise, personally I only ever use it if I’m not in an active roleplaying scenario or I need to inform people about something. 

A server wide faction chat ban was in place a few years ago, and I can tell you first hand that it did very little in improving roleplay quality.

Edited by CloutToken
  • Upvote 1