New UI Discussion

np

Recently, a lot of menus have been switched to a new, modernized UI (i.e. the new clothing store UI, character customization, etc). I think it'd be nice to have a discussion on ways to improve the UI and features that should be added or removed to it.

Please don't just bash the new UI and menus. People worked hard on designing them, it's only fair to give props or fair critique.

Doesn't fix it, I am aware- I also know how to move the camera in this menu, it tells in a tooltip.

And it doesn't change the fact that it's a) inconvenient and b) not possible to simultaneously select a piece of clothing AND talk/listen in character properly.

13 minutes ago, knppel said:

Doesn't fix it, I am aware- I also know how to move the camera in this menu, it tells in a tooltip.

And it doesn't change the fact that it's a) inconvenient and b) not possible to simultaneously select a piece of clothing AND talk/listen in character properly.

u just gotta click away to unfocus from the sliders. That can probably get fixed easily.

Imo the new menu is good, you don't lose the selected clothes if you go browse something else etc. What's somewhat annoying is not being able to walk around.

15 minutes ago, knppel said:

That is incorrect. If you Press F4, the window for the options to select a pieces of clothing, select the outfit you wish to edit and purchase the outfit you have edited only goes away. You can freely talk with people while selecting your outfit, you only need to re-enable it when you wish to purchase the outfit or pick another outfit to edit. Not everything has to be an inconvenience.

2 minutes ago, Benelli said:

u just gotta click away to unfocus from the sliders. That can probably get fixed easily.

Imo the new menu is good, you don't lose the selected clothes if you go browse something else etc. What's somewhat annoying is not being able to walk around.

Or press F3 to enable then disable the cursor.

1 minute ago, disnep said:

That is incorrect. If you Press F4, the window for the options to select a pieces of clothing, select the outfit you wish to edit and purchase the outfit you have edited only goes away. You can freely talk with people while selecting your outfit, you only need to re-enable it when you wish to purchase the outfit or pick another outfit to edit. Not everything has to be an inconvenience.

I'm used to switching outfit constantly to discard sketches, for a start.

It is an incovenience as it demands extra steps to roleplay with each other. On a roleplay server.

Being able to turn also was very, very useful.

it looks tidy, no question, and yes, being on the selected slot rather than at 0 is also useful (last but not least when someone asks what's that shirt).

Regardless all this could just as much be applied to a system designed for simultaneous roleplay, opposed to treat outfit composition solely as rpgish thing that happens ooc.

Specially as we have to travel to stores ic, spend money ic (even if marginal), meet others in shops and so on.

9 minutes ago, knppel said:

I'm used to switching outfit constantly to discard sketches, for a start.

It is an incovenience as it demands extra steps to roleplay with each other. On a roleplay server.

Being able to turn also was very, very useful.

it looks tidy, no question, and yes, being on the selected slot rather than at 0 is also useful (last but not least when someone asks what's that shirt).

Regardless all this could just as much be applied to a system designed for simultaneous roleplay, opposed to treat outfit composition solely as rpgish thing that happens ooc.

Specially as we have to travel to stores ic, spend money ic (even if marginal), meet others in shops and so on.

If we are going to consider such a small thing as "push a button once more" as an inconvenience. The devlopers might as well stop making updates. At that point, someone will always find something that inconveniences them with a new system. I don't have a problem with this; I don't think it is worth arguing about the "extra" step you have to take. The solution to this topic is to simply  allow people to tog between which system they want, old menu-based or new CEF based. I won't be barking up Stefan's tree to add that functionality though. There are more pressing issues.

Edited by disnep
4 minutes ago, disnep said:

If we are going to consider such a small thing as "push a button once more" as an inconvenience. The devlopers might as well stop making updates. At that point, someone will always find something that inconveniences them with a new system.

Toggling is not a solution as a majority won't effectively do it and be unresponsive in shops, try it out.

I'm not nit-picking about the store's convenience here- which could be better too but it'sokay enough and works, that it is not the point- but about the default settings.

Where obviously for an rp server, and "roleplay at all times" is a rule, the design should not just enable that with a simple click, but implement it as a default setting one cannot accidentaly circumvent (except by crashing the game and thus being booted from the server).

• Wuhtah locked this topic