Rewrite the Entire Hunting & Animal Protection Act of 2021

11 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Considering you're writing the laws that govern these things? You, should be specific? I mean - I would think that you'd want to specify what it is that you're actually writing this bill to govern. Maybe no. If you're not, that's my mistake.

4 minutes ago, slick! said:

It's a matter of realism and portrayal of an actual functioning government body, rather than just being nitpicky for the sake of being nitpicky. Government bodies are nitpicky to avoid loopholes in their system. Your entire point is moot with the first bullet point of the continuity summary.

We do not copy California legal statutes just because that's how things work in California. Federal law in general already does not apply. That's just how the legal system works in-game. It works like that for the penal code, already. You'll notice that a lot of things are profoundly different from California. The legal system is one of them.

I agre the law could be greatly improved. Some of the language is absolutely ambiguous and needs to be cleared up. However, the fact that it differs from existing RL law isn't a problem in and of itself. In other cases, such as deer species, it would be silly to specify something that does not exist in-game simply for the sake of copying RL laws. It would read better, but be completely irrelevant.

There was little to no time to go over it before a vote. The Senate was blindsided by the update & had to come up with a law. There was little to nothing IC about it. Myself & those who roleplay Republicans already plotted an entire revamp of the act once the script is settled & we're given time to properly formulate one. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Henning said:

While I'd be inclined to agree with you, this bill was literally posted and passed within 24 hours to go along with the hunting update. Lets not act like there was much "IC" about it.

That is a totally fair point. I have no idea how the process worked for this one.

Let's not be too hard on people spending their free time to roleplay lawmakers!  Clearly the OP is an OOC expert on hunting and knows all about it, but we can't expect this from somebody roleplaying a lawmaker to be super accurate on all legal issues and areas.  I put this kind of thing into the same category as a RL medic OOC whispering FD that they are doing everything wrong at a scene.  They might be, yes, but there's a limit on how real it has to be and how much we should expect.

BUT!  I think your OOC knowledge on hunting law is neat and maybe you can help them out OOCly to improve it?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just seems like pointless bureaucracy for the sakes of bureaucracy 

Like, not being able to fish within 10ft2 of eachother? What is the point of that?

It's overly complicated and pointless for hunters, who will either ignore the act or get dumb fines from it. Please make it simpler, shorter and less overreaching so it will actually have some impact IC, rather than being some dumb forum rules everyone ignores

39 minutes ago, Paenymion said:

Let's not be too hard on people spending their free time to roleplay lawmakers!  Clearly the OP is an OOC expert on hunting and knows all about it, but we can't expect this from somebody roleplaying a lawmaker to be super accurate on all legal issues and areas.  I put this kind of thing into the same category as a RL medic OOC whispering FD that they are doing everything wrong at a scene.  They might be, yes, but there's a limit on how real it has to be and how much we should expect.

BUT!  I think your OOC knowledge on hunting law is neat and maybe you can help them out OOCly to improve it?

You're 100% right. I came down on it pretty hard. And it was nothing against the writers. I realize there was a lack of knowledge in the field by the writers, but at the same time, there are a ton of holes in it. And I think it could've been prevented. And in light of information provided by the people who are lawmakers, and their willingness to improve what's already out there, positive steps can be taken to fix the holes in the bill, improve it's viability for the community and generally make it a better community resource as a whole. I reached told the bill writer that I would be more than willing to help out in the writing of the improvements for the bill as well. And I would if they asked me too.

I also think it could be updated and could be revised.  I planned on making a park ranger if it does get implemented here soon because honestly I enjoyed that stuff in real life.  I will offer any support as well, but I will clearly say that Saint Bate knows their stuff.  Those were some good points they made in their spoiler.