Attempt at a robbery gone wrong

Joanna

I'm new here, only have been playing GTA RP for a week or maybe less. That's why I came to ask for help here, I don't want to make any mistake.

Okay, so I attempted a robbery at a 24/7 with a knife. I'm always trying to RP properly, especially when attempting any criminality. Lots of /me's and whatever else.

I got into the store, masked and everything. Area was clear, only one worker at the counter. Approached him and told him to get on his knees with his hands up, of course with a lot of descriptive /me's, he didn't respond to me for like 1-2 minutes. I was about to leave because of that, but then he answers and plays along with my RP, having fear. Some seconds after that, a lady enters the 24/7. Being scared, I instantly turned my attention to her, slowly approaching and was going to tell her the same thing, to secure her as well.

But instead, she pulls out a glock and sprays me down in a split second. With no interaction, no RP or /me's whatsoever. If I had tried to RP'd staying / talking at that spot I'd die immediately so I exited the building, trying to run off. But this lady was still chasing me outside the 24/7, finally shooting me down and wounded me.

Is this allowed? To just spray down someone like this without any interactions, I just want to know for future refences when I'm able to get a gun myself. I don't want to make any mistakes.

Anyway, it was kinda sus how she just showed up like that and her actions. I thought to myself they might have shared information OOCly. But that's beside the point because I don't have any video evidence (first time something like this happened, I wasn't prepared at all).

I /b told her after she wounded me: "Damn you don't even RP at all.." then all I was told was, "go to forum and report"..

Shrugged it off, and RP'd my damage. Ambulance and cops came, got 12 hours in jail and so on.

One funny thing tho, she didn't even stay at the scene to give the cops any information. After she had wounded me, she immediately left. Like what the hell!?

Edited by Naliz
9 minutes ago, Naliz said:

I'm new here, only have been playing GTA RP for a week or maybe less. That's why I came to ask for help here, I don't want to make any mistake.

Okay, so I attempted a robbery at a 24/7 with a knife. I'm always trying to RP properly, especially when attempting any criminality. Lots of /me's and whatever else.

I got into the store, masked and everything. Area was clear, only one worker at the counter. Approached him and told him to get on his knees with his hands up, of course with a lot of descriptive /me's, he didn't respond to me for like 1-2 minutes. I was about to leave because of that, but then he answers and plays along with my RP, having fear. Some seconds after that, a lady enters the 24/7. Being scared, I instantly turned my attention to her, slowly approaching and was going to tell her the same thing, to secure her as well.

But instead, she pulls out a gun and sprays me down in a split second. With no interaction, no RP or /me's whatsoever. If I had tried to RP'd staying / talking at that spot I'd die immediately so I exited the building, trying to run off. But this lady was still chasing me outside the 24/7, finally shooting me down and wounded me.

Is this allowed? To just spray down someone like this without no interactions, I just want to know for future refences when I'm able to get a gun myself. I don't want to make any mistakes.

Anyway, it was kinda sus how she just showed up like that and her actions. I thought to myself they might have shared information OOCly. But that's beside the point because I don't have any video evidence (first time something like this happened, I wasn't prepared at all).

I then /b told her after she wounded me: Damn you don't even RP at all.. then all I was told was, go to forum and report..

Shrugged it off, and RP'd my damage. Ambulance and cops came, got 12 hours in jail and so on.

One funny thing tho, she didn't even stay at the scene to give the cops any information. After she had wounded me, she immediately left. Like what the hell!?

I'd prefer to RP all that and actually bring some good RP to the table but everyone's not like that and love to shoot which isn't against the rules.
If you're a threat to someone IC then they have a valid reason to shoot you down.

Hi there, Naliz! I will only give my perception of the story. My opinion differs from others!

15 minutes ago, Naliz said:

It is good you are wanting to RP properly, as this server calls for High standards and proper character portrayal at all times!

15 minutes ago, Naliz said:

But instead, she pulls out a gun and sprays me down in a split second. With no interaction, no RP or /me's whatsoever. If I had tried to RP'd staying / talking at that spot I'd die immediately so I exited the building, trying to run off. But this lady was still chasing me outside the 24/7, finally shooting me down and wounded me.

I read this in a comical sense. In most cases, the standard civilian would be afraid of a Masked Robber. In this case, it is Powergaming if said player did not Roleplay fear when having a knife held to them. On the other hand, you see all the time on Social Media where people act nonchalant and even attack the robber! Since you are using a knife, if you were to be caught you would be charged with Robbery with a Deadly weapon, whereas this woman would be charged with murder.

Assuming she is a PF / CCW holder, she is well within her right to defend herself against you. She should've rped removing her pistol and perhaps lighting you up like a firework was not the best course of action IC'ly wise, as a gun to knife standoff would be much more fun to scene around. A player can scroll handguns without having to RP taking them out. However, the laws surrounding CCW requires that you both contact the Firearms licensing division, the police, and whoever else you might need upon firing your weapon, let alone killing someone. She should have remained at the scene of the crime with her weapon, and provide the necessary documentation to the officers in charge, all while using the store clerk as a witness. She would've been let off scot-free. 

Assuming she is a hardened criminal who is carrying an illegal pistol? Sure, she could've popped you than ran off with the basic instinct of not wanting to get caught. However, pausing roleplay and not properly roleplaying scenes is frowned upon in the community, and can even result in a Common Courtesy report against the party. I doubt this is realistic because a criminal usually would commit crimes, right? It seems odd that a criminal would intervene when they could've been like "Yo, lemme help you and get a cut", type deal. 

I am interested to see who she really is, those who direct people to forum reports usually are not wanting to resolve a possible scenario and continue with the rp. Alas, I commend you for your RP skills and continuing although there was a minor disagreement between the parties. If you feel like this player should have Roleplayed fear, then perhaps you can make a Forum report against her, provide logs and screenshots and nail her for Powergaming. If you are fine with how everything turned out, you can just continue playing. I hope this has provided you with some insight!

Your friend,

Geo. 

Edited by Geo.
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, CentiB said:

I'd prefer to RP all that and actually bring some good RP to the table but everyone's not like that and love to shoot which isn't against the rules.
If you're a threat to someone IC then they have a valid reason to shoot you down.

I just had a knife, don't think I was an immediate threat TBF. But damn I just cant help to feel like criminals have it so hard.

Just now, Naliz said:

I just had a knife, don't think I was an immediate threat TBF. But damn I just cant help to feel like criminals have it so hard.

That's how it is my man.. 20y girls got an AK waiting for you to extort or hit on their girlfriend so they can shoot you down lol.

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, Geo. said:

-snip-

Thank you for taking your time to read this, I really appreciate it. I just had to share and let this out somehow, because I was really unsure about this whole situation. Definitely made me feel better reading your insight.

Well, while I could report it. I don't know if I will because the lack of evidence.. also I do no want to load the staff team with a shitty report.

True, no way to tell now if she was a PF / CCW holder or a criminal as well. But I did note down their IC names, that was the first thing I did.

YES! She didn't even RP or describe anything. Just magically a gun and I'm getting sprayed. Honestly, I was really shocked and I'm amazed I even managed to get outside the 24/7.

Edited by Naliz
Just now, Naliz said:

Thank you for taking your time to read this, I really appreciate it. I just had to share and let this out somehow, because I was really unsure about this whole situation. Definitely made me feel better reading you insight.

Well, while I could report it. I don't know if I will because the lack of evidence.. also I do no want to load the staff team with a shitty report.

True, no way to tell now if she was a PF / CCW holder or a criminal as well. But I did note down their IC names, that was the first thing I did.

YES! She didn't even RP or describe anything. Just magically a gun and I'm getting sprayed. Honestly, I was really shocked I'm amazed I even managed to get outside the 24/7.

What I like to call that is merely a shitty situation. When I come across players like this, I choose to be the bigger person and continue with my RP. In most instances, I advise new players to only report if they are extremely confident that the player did something wrong. In this case, the player who shot you might have not known the rules, and or acted quickly without rp as that is what one would do in real life. Both of these are acceptable excuses. 

If it were me, I would advise the player that shooting down a robber with a knife after they are fleeing the scene of the crime is unrealistic. In this case, you are being hunted by someone for a low level crime, regardless if you have a weapon on your or not. I am sorry that you had to go through this, but now you have a sense of some of the playerbase on GTA:W. This community is filled with great rpers, who take pride in character development, but it is also filled with shitty players, who snuck by the Application stage to play GTA:W like it's GTA:Online. 

Keep moving forward, use your jail time to develop your character. Once you get out, you can hopefully try your luck again! 

It's allowed.  According to the rules they don't have to do any RP to pull out a (small) gun and shoot, as long as it satisfies all of the server rules.  It's a shame because you sound like a good RPer and maybe expected the same from others, but unfortunately many do the bare minimum to "win" a situation without breaking the rules.  It's not that they're necessarily lazy though, perhaps just jaded from being on the "wrong side" of the rules in badly RPed situations too many times before.

There is a kind of OOC fear that if they wait, they will be subjected to the rules on fear RP.  For example, if they started typing me's you could have got close to them with the knife, at which point they OOC feel forced to surrender or face punishment for not RPing "fear".  The bad RPers know the rules inside out basically, and are usually onto you straight away OOCly if you aren't going along with their formula for a robbery.  The threats of a forum report come out immediately, which just leads to quick shooting like this.

• Upvote 2
48 minutes ago, Geo. said:

If it were me, I would advise the player that shooting down a robber with a knife after they are fleeing the scene of the crime is unrealistic. In this case, you are being hunted by someone for a low level crime, regardless if you have a weapon on your or not

This exactly! That's what gave me this uncertain feeling, I just didn't know how to word it.

45 minutes ago, Paenymion said:

It's allowed.  According to the rules they don't have to do any RP to pull out a (small) gun and shoot, as long as it satisfies all of the server rules.  It's a shame because you sound like a good RPer and maybe expected the same from others, but unfortunately many do the bare minimum to "win" a situation without breaking the rules.  It's not that they're necessarily lazy though, perhaps just jaded from being on the "wrong side" of the rules in badly RPed situations too many times before.

There is a kind of OOC fear that if they wait, they will be subjected to the rules on fear RP.  For example, if they started typing me's you could have got close to them with the knife, at which point they OOC feel forced to surrender or face punishment for not RPing "fear".  The bad RPers know the rules inside out basically, and are usually onto you straight away OOCly if you aren't going along with their formula for a robbery.  The threats of a forum report come out immediately, which just leads to quick shooting like this.

You're right. I should have waited a moment before approaching her, I just got really scared that she popped out of nowhere haha.

This to me really boils down to poor escalation of conflicts. Let's assume for a second that this person was a well-meaning, PF and CCW wielding concerned citizen merely attempting to help the clerk by holding you at gunpoint to stop your robbery.

To me and to most people who enjoy roleplay over the "So I started blasting" mentality, it would've been 100% sufficient to hold you at gunpoint, and if you are infact roleplaying to the best of your ability, being stood infront of a barrel of a loaded firearm would've likely been enough to stop you and de-escalate the robbery into a state where you're no longer a threat to those involved.

Your assailant didn't technically break a rule by scrolling a pistol, as that is allowed by the rules. But proceeding to a full blown shootout (and even chase, if infact your description is factual), shows me that the person really didn't put much effort into creating an interesting scene and instead took more pleasure in waving their CCW superiority by shooting you dead.

With this being said - the conduct shown by the citizen in this case would've likely made so their CCW license was revoked and charges put up against them, because according to the code you're supposed to use your weapon to de-escalate conflicts, something that was clearly achieved the second you ran out of the store, so one could say that the fact that the person ran was due to the IC knowledge of "If I stay here, I'll be deemed guilty and charged". So in essence, this was a crime to stop a crime.

I personally agree with you that the conduct shown here by the citizen was absolutely poor in terms of roleplay quality, you could cite poor escalation, deathmatching and even powergaming to an extent, depending on how much of a threat you were to them the moment they decided to scroll a weapon.

My advice to you in the future is be ready to record events that might result in rulebreaking, robberies are often hot beds for breaches of common courtesy, powergaming, metagaming and deathmatching, so be wise and keep the camera rolling when engaging in these sorts of scenarios.

Edited by Brian3898
  • Thanks 1