Report publicity

BarbieXL

8 minutes ago, Yoak said:

its really really not that deep

If it wasn't, the argument of why discretion is so mandatory leads itself ad absurdum however.

I get it's self explaining for what is an acceptable standard within a peer group, but if this peer group intends to encourage a wider audience to uphold these standards, they need to communicate what they expect, and be a little more concrete about it than the rpq guidelines are.

"Don't be a Mary Sue" is just too vague, if you pick beans you can find design flaws in any character, or situations where they act in a way that's questionable looking at it from the outside (not morally questionable, but as in "Would anyone seriously do that").

Just to clarify this, the issue isn't that we have rpq reports and a team handling them, but that I as player have literally no idea what they want (except the mentioned vague guidelines to "rp realistically" etc.), and due to lack of communication with reported parties there exists even the possibility that actual rulebreaks go on for weeks while it is attempted to find evidence for the report without their knowledge.

If the report is valid, this is bad as active rulebreaks or low quality rp keeps happening, even with the player acting in best intention (they're not made aware they are seriously doing anything wrong that warrants their rp to be closer checked)

If the report is invalid, this is bad as it leads to admins spending a lot of time and effort trying to check players that actually uphold the rules (as admins look for something that's not there).

Report publicity- to a degree, same as in normal reports actually sensitive info could still be provided privately after all- would serve this issue too, as a register of their verdicts would allow players to get an impression of what rpqm wants (or doesn not want) better than silence and exemplary dished out punishments could.

Similarly, not everyone reporting actually knows what they're doing - which again doesn't even mean people do not act in the best intention, but as mentioned above what's "low quality" is just too subjective an opinion, just to pick out one example.

Getting (to a degree) insight in what kind of reports rpqm takes on will also improve the validity of reports (as players can better spot out issues rpqm has problems with).

19 minutes ago, knppel said:

If it wasn't, the argument of why discretion is so mandatory leads itself ad absurdum however.

I get it's self explaining for what is an acceptable standard within a peer group, but if this peer group intends to encourage a wider audience to uphold these standards, they need to communicate what they expect, and be a little more concrete about it than the rpq guidelines are.

"Don't be a Mary Sue" is just too vague, if you pick beans you can find design flaws in any character, or situations where they act in a way that's questionable looking at it from the outside (not morally questionable, but as in "Would anyone seriously do that").

Just to clarify this, the issue isn't that we have rpq reports and a team handling them, but that I as player have literally no idea what they want (except the mentioned vague guidelines to "rp realistically" etc.), and due to lack of communication with reported parties there exists even the possibility that actual rulebreaks go on for weeks while it is attempted to find evidence for the report without their knowledge.

If the report is valid, this is bad as active rulebreaks or low quality rp keeps happening, even with the player acting in best intention (they're not made aware they are seriously doing anything wrong that warrants their rp to be closer checked)

If the report is invalid, this is bad as it leads to admins spending a lot of time and effort trying to check players that actually uphold the rules (as admins look for something that's not there).

Report publicity- to a degree, same as in normal reports actually sensitive info could still be provided privately after all- would serve this issue too, as a register of their verdicts would allow players to get an impression of what rpqm wants (or doesn not want) better than silence and exemplary dished out punishments could.

Similarly, not everyone reporting actually knows what they're doing - which again doesn't even mean people do not act in the best intention, but as mentioned above what's "low quality" is just too subjective an opinion, just to pick out one example.

Getting (to a degree) insight in what kind of reports rpqm takes on will also improve the validity of reports (as players can better spot out issues rpqm has problems with).

i didnt read that but im just gonna bring my point up, this is a roleplay server, not a court of law or whatever, reports of a sensitive case should remain unviewable by the community, wont be replying again

On one hand I'd say no, purely because I love witnessing drama.

On the other hand, it makes more sense for a player report to be private because it's of nobody's concern but the involved parties and potential witnesses (everyone from either party can be tagged in anyway).

I understand that player reports are public for transparency or whatever, but at the end of the day, is it really any of our concerns (unless it directly involves us individually)? Of course not. We love reading forum reports for the drama and judgement. On the fence about this.

• Wuhtah locked this topic