Report publicity

BarbieXL

1 hour ago, nateX said:

I'll say it again, not even going to be considered. The amount of sensitive information some of these contain will lead to nothing but harassment and public shaming which unfortunately already happens enough. It is beyond me why people would ever want staff reports and RPQM cases to be public, its stupid.

What does "sensitive" information has to do with roleplay quality again?

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

What does "sensitive" information has to do with roleplay quality again?

The cases contain sensitive information, there is absolutely no need for the whole server to see a players assets, logs or wrongdoings. I don't know how that isn't obvious enough. 

12 minutes ago, nateX said:

The cases contain sensitive information, there is absolutely no need for the whole server to see a players assets, logs or wrongdoings. I don't know how that isn't obvious enough. 

Assets and logs. You can already see them in the player reports. You can also see "wrongdoings" or rather poor roleplay anywhere else on the forums or as a matter of the fact you can see it in game. Point proven?

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

Why can't people just take NO and move on?

"Why do people keep advocating for better conditions?! Just take no as an answer! The staff are infallible! Glory to the Empire!" 

20 minutes ago, Ted said:

"Why do people keep advocating for better conditions?! Just take no as an answer! The staff are infallible! Glory to the Empire!" 

Look at his profile picture, he's clearly no fan of democracy...

Regardless, I can find agreement with Storm's point of view. Staff reports being made public will only result in staff covering their tracks. If we hadn't gotten to talk to admins without [Redacted] finding out we were reporting his doxxing, he could have deleted messages, gotten his story straight with others, and generally had time to cover up his wrongdoing. I do however think it should be made public information as to the reasons for a staff member's removal, after the report has been resolved in cases where staff have actions taken against them.

Just like players are held accountable with reports made forever available to whitelisted people, staff should be too. You shouldn't get to hide the end result of reports against you as a staff member, but you shouldn't have to gut your report process as a team either.

I can already hear the argument that this will undermine staff's authority, but ultimately, it would undermine the unfamiliar and already distant relationship players have with the staff team. The majority of the playerbase has no clue who comes, who goes, who was removed, who's putting in work, and that's a goddamn shame. People should always have the opportunity to hold authority accountable, for all the good, and for all the bad.

Edited by CocainePVP

1 hour ago, Ted said:

1 hour ago, CocainePVP said:

Look at his profile picture, he's clearly no fan of democracy...

These comments are... quite the stretch. This is insinuating that GTAW is comparable to a government, when, IMHO, it simply is not. The closest thing I'd compare GTAW, or any gaming community/clan in general to is a business/company. With that in mind, the company I work for has a nice and shiny suggestions box that we, the employees, are more than encouraged to fill out and submit. However, the company has all rights to ignore said suggestions or toss them in the trash- It's a business, not a democracy. My company also does not cast ballots to vote on changes, management handles it. Furthermore, as a manager at my company, we don't publicize any administrative action taken on employees ("players"), especially against managers ("admins"), because then the employees wouldn't respect or listen to the managers who have gotten write-ups, etc., and employees would (have) disrespect(ed) their coworkers over it.

Good points are proven with keeping certain reports hidden. In my opinion, all reports should be hidden except to those involved. This is the main part of the OP I agree with:

On 4/7/2021 at 9:31 AM, BarbieXL said:

I was wondering if the forum can get updated, so player reports  are not public for everyone, as it can be embarrassing. 

If having examples of what not to do is what people like about the publicity of report, there is no reason why reports can't stay hidden until concluded where they then redact all information of parties involved, except maybe the reporting party as their forum name is tied to it.

Just my long-ass take. But essentially, I'm fine with whatever staff decides because:

3 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Why can't people just take NO and move on?

Edited by MAK0
1 hour ago, CocainePVP said:

Some words

The majority of staff reports made are made to overturn the results of reports, which should be visible, like the reports themselves are. If there is a reason why something should remain private, it should be, but those are a small amount of staff reports. 

4 minutes ago, MAK0 said:

I love the admins the player base shouldn't have a say and we should obey our administrative overlords

The idea that a business cannot be a democracy from the get-go is cringe and misinformed. Just because your company does something doesn't mean we should.  The idea that we also shouldn't engage in democracy, or at the very least, popular governance, is a very good way to drive the server into the dirt. It's ridiculous to entertain the notion that we should make the server more secretive. This will have the opposite effect you and staff seem to think it will. Just like how the current non-transparent status quo promotes misinformation. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic