Report publicity

BarbieXL

10 minutes ago, Свето said:

What you described is much more of a reason to keep it public rather than anything else.

While true, the Player posting this thread wanted to make it all Private. I am all for keeping it Open, or keeping it Private. But not both regarding your status on the server. 

A staff member being in the wrong and being called out for it by another staff memeber shouldn't be a reason to loose faith, rather a reason to increase it. 

I was a little confused when I read this. I am not wanting to bash the Staff members on GTA World, I appreciate what they do. I do not lose faith, I lose respect. For you and I and everyone else on GTA World who isn't a staff, we see all the Player reports come and go. Whereas Staff Members are locked up. That to me is the issue, hence why I support hiding the Player Reports to create equality, not equity. Same goes for keeping everything open.

They've proved that even though this person is a co-worker of sorts, they still choose to remain objective.

While this is probably the case and you are absolutely correct, where's the proof? As I said it is my opinion, and my opinion is that the Staff Member probably got a slap on the wrist or a verbal warning. They wouldn't have moved to Senior Support if this wasn't the case. The argument I make is that if Players are subjected to Ajails and Staff members are not, that is the main concern. To wrap it up, you and I do not know what goes on behind the scenes, and that is part of the problem.

Hiding Player Reports avoids embarrassing scenarios, as the thread creator mentioned. Publicizing all reports places the Staff team "In the same boat" as everyone else. So on my side, I can not weigh the pros and cons of each enough to firmly stand behind a single choice, because both choices would work. 

Have a great day homie! 

Edited by Geo.
Some spelling erros.
On 4/17/2021 at 8:58 PM, Geo. said:

While true, the Player posting this thread wanted to make it all Private. I am all for keeping it Open, or keeping it Private. But not both regarding your status on the server. 

I was a little confused when I read this. I am not wanting to bash the Staff members on GTA World, I appreciate what they do. I do not lose faith, I lose respect. For you and I and everyone else on GTA World who isn't a staff, we see all the Player reports come and go. Whereas Staff Members are locked up. That to me is the issue, hence why I support hiding the Player Reports to create equality, not equity. Same goes for keeping everything open.

While this is probably the case and you are absolutely correct, where's the proof? As I said it is my opinion, and my opinion is that the Staff Member probably got a slap on the wrist or a verbal warning. They wouldn't have moved to Senior Support if this wasn't the case. The argument I make is that if Players are subjected to Ajails and Staff members are not, that is the main concern. To wrap it up, you and I do not know what goes on behind the scenes, and that is part of the problem.

Hiding Player Reports avoids embarrassing scenarios, as the thread creator mentioned. Publicizing all reports places the Staff team "In the same boat" as everyone else. So on my side, I can not weigh the pros and cons of each enough to firmly stand behind a single choice, because both choices would work. 

Have a great day homie! 

I completely agree with you. The reason is probably that they don't wanna cause drama, but I like it when people get threaten equivalent, no matter what their rank or function is.  Because now it looks like, the more power you have, the more superior you are. 

In a company, everything stays private as well. If someone is involved, they'll be added to the e-mails or meeting. And I have seen it on other forums as well.  Now, a distinction is made. 

Edited by BarbieXL
On 4/8/2021 at 3:46 PM, DasFroggy said:

Ordinarily I would agree, but in this case, no. The report forum provides a nigh real-time and up to date awareness of the rules, usually allowing for excellent examples of what is and is not allowed. With each lesson that is learned by the direct participants of the discussion, that lesson is also learned by observers.

One fantastic example is the recurring claim that "it happens in real lifeis revisited time and time again as not a good enough excuse for murdering people just three meters from an active police response. People can see this, and they can be better prepared to understand what does and does not qualify for a forum report.

Making the identities of the people involved anonymous? I could see that, but blocking off access entirely? ...it would immediately hamper roleplay quality by hiding proof of what is or is not allowed in the community. 

I mean, honestly if anything - staff reports and ban appeals should also be public. It's supposed to be about transparency, not embarrassment. When it comes to staff reports and ban appeals we have zero transparency. I don't know if I'd even play on a server with no transparency at all when it comes to policing members of the community. That's how you get people being banned for no reason and it marked as [Rule Break - see staff forums]

Hell for all you know, when people get staff reported right now, a big laugh is had and straight to the trash with the report. The publicity of everything makes it so that things can't be avoided, and must be addressed in the same fair manner as everything else. You as a player shouldn't want that taken away. It's a guarantee of handling and fairness.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, goddessoflife said:

I'd rather see the Roleplay Quality Reports to be public. Since I never hear anything about it when you report someone. All you end up with is thanks. We'll look into it. 

this

I like player reports being public because it's a great way to learn about specific conditions that may be permitted despite what the rules say. It's also a great of way of learning simply what NOT to do. Personally, I like using the report section to keep "tabs" on players. If somebody was reported for deathmatching by several people in the past 30 days, it's usually a good sign that I might want to avoid this player, if possibly icly.

I don't agree with staff reports being public since staff already tend to get bashed and flamed pretty frequently as it is. I think it can also ruin a staff member's image, and would encourage anybody to challenge a specific staff's ruling simply because they have made a mistake in the past before. Just like in the current player reports, people would be citing a person's previous mistake as a reason to challenge them, rather than the actual situation and it's outcome. 

Lastly, I think a big reason staff reports are kept on the down low is because the information involved in a staff report, and priority. Some reports can be incredibly long and contain so much private information that prone to metagame, more so than the average player report. Also, if the staff member has made a massive mistake, it could take a long time to comb through all the information as well that might be incredibly sensitive. And as mentioned, I think that having the staff reports sent in personal messages lets them get investigated and resolved quicker.

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2021 at 7:29 PM, goddessoflife said:

I'd rather see the Roleplay Quality Reports to be public. Since I never hear anything about it when you report someone. All you end up with is thanks. We'll look into it. 

On 5/8/2021 at 8:06 PM, Beholder said:

I like player reports being public because it's a great way to learn about specific conditions that may be permitted despite what the rules say. It's also a great of way of learning simply what NOT to do. Personally, I like using the report section to keep "tabs" on players. If somebody was reported for deathmatching by several people in the past 30 days, it's usually a good sign that I might want to avoid this player, if possibly icly.

Bumping this for apparent reasons.

Just to summarize why without an essay:

-Current system allows any accusation of any sorts unchecked and unrebuted

-Current system fails to actually notify players of alleged issues with the quality of their roleplay, thus failing to help them improve (which should be the goal)

-This opportunity encourages quality reports not over actual issues with someone, but out of sheer spite

-And last but not least, due to the lack in fact-checking (by not giving reported parties a chance to reply to accusations, no matter how ridiculous they may be) this encourages narratives in the reports, opposed to focus on actual issues where people go against rules in their character design or playstyle, to encourage the handling staff to focus on these alleged issues.

• Upvote 2

Since my subteam is directly getting called out here, I'll respond to some things, no matter how outdated they are. 

On 5/8/2021 at 8:29 PM, goddessoflife said:

They will never be public because that would simply be a breach of people's privacy. With the new area we've recently made, you can now be in direct contact with the handling admin, ask questions and provide more evidence with ease. 

12 hours ago, knppel said:

Just to summarize why without an essay:

-Current system allows any accusation of any sorts unchecked and unrebuted

-Current system fails to actually notify players of alleged issues with the quality of their roleplay, thus failing to help them improve (which should be the goal)

-This opportunity encourages quality reports not over actual issues with someone, but out of sheer spite

-And last but not least, due to the lack in fact-checking (by not giving reported parties a chance to reply to accusations, no matter how ridiculous they may be) this encourages narratives in the reports, opposed to focus on actual issues where people go against rules in their character design or playstyle, to encourage the handling staff to focus on these alleged issues.

The current system does not allow any accusations to go unchecked. We fact check every claim made, go through logs, spectate and dig through any possible information we can find to prove or invalidate said claims. We handle reports on a case-by-case basis. There is no way for us to decide how to deal with a case before we've gathered enough evidence and laid it out on the table. What goes for one case, may not be an option for another. 

I understand your reasoning for making these posts, but all of the things you listed are simply baseless assumptions you've been led to believe by the people around you. I'd appreciate you not trying to drag a whole subteam's name and credibility through the mud based on minor details shown to you. You can not possibly know how much time, effort and discussion have been spent on a single case, yet here you are assuming the absolute worst. 

I'm not having this discussion again, ironic that someone who hasn't done any research or asked any question is talking about lack of fact-checking and decisions being made on assumptions.

Edited by nateX
  • Wuhtah locked this topic