Report publicity

BarbieXL

We use the forums to either report staff-members or players. All the player reports are public ,while the staff-reports aren't. I was wondering if the forum can get updated, so player reports  are not public for everyone, as it can be embarrassing. 

A staff member told me that player reports go public so involved people can respond on the topic as well. But with staff-reports if someone is involved you'd put him in CC, all private where no one else can see it. Why is there a difference here? I'd feel like it would make more sense if player reports are also private, as I just had to report someone but don't like doing so. I don't wanna harm his ego and I don't want to harm my own, looking like the whining guy that reports someone for breaking a rule. 

Ordinarily I would agree, but in this case, no. The report forum provides a nigh real-time and up to date awareness of the rules, usually allowing for excellent examples of what is and is not allowed. With each lesson that is learned by the direct participants of the discussion, that lesson is also learned by observers.

One fantastic example is the recurring claim that "it happens in real lifeis revisited time and time again as not a good enough excuse for murdering people just three meters from an active police response. People can see this, and they can be better prepared to understand what does and does not qualify for a forum report.

Making the identities of the people involved anonymous? I could see that, but blocking off access entirely? ...it would immediately hamper roleplay quality by hiding proof of what is or is not allowed in the community. 

• Upvote 2
On 4/8/2021 at 9:46 PM, DasFroggy said:

Ordinarily I would agree, but in this case, no. The report forum provides a nigh real-time and up to date awareness of the rules, usually allowing for excellent examples of what is and is not allowed. With each lesson that is learned by the direct participants of the discussion, that lesson is also learned by observers.

One fantastic example is the recurring claim that "it happens in real lifeis revisited time and time again as not a good enough excuse for murdering people just three meters from an active police response. People can see this, and they can be better prepared to understand what does and does not qualify for a forum report.

Making the identities of the people involved anonymous? I could see that, but blocking off access entirely? ...it would immediately hamper roleplay quality by hiding proof of what is or is not allowed in the community. 

So why not 'staff-reports' public as well. Or are they superior?

1 hour ago, BarbieXL said:

So why not 'staff-reports' public as well. Or are they superior?

Staff reports very often contain staff senstive contents imo. Obviously in a perfect world everything should be transparent and obvious but the way it is right now is also fine. You should sort of perceive reports as court cases, where the ruling may also apply to yourself, that's why the transparency & the fact that they're public matters so much.

7 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Staff reports very often contain staff senstive contents imo. Obviously in a perfect world everything should be transparent and obvious but the way it is right now is also fine. You should sort of perceive reports as court cases, where the ruling may also apply to yourself, that's why the transparency & the fact that they're public matters so much.

Precisely this. Players are not staff, and staff handle a great deal of sensitive information that has to do with the wellbeing of the entire server, whereas with players, sensitive information is usually IC story related information, to which the handling administrator will usually review and allow to be submitted privately, further making this suggestion unnecessary due to it already existing in a more practical form.

• Upvote 1

-1 because in most player reports it's treated somewhat like a court case. The prosecutor, the person who made the post, will try to prove that the defendant is guilty with the original post, the defendant being the person the report is on. An admin, the judge, will come in and bring order to the post, which is the court room. Then they will take the argument and evidence from the prosecutor, as well as statements from all the witnesses provided and then the defendant will then give their case on why they're innocent. The current system is the best you will get. Also, staff reports are private for numerous reasons on a variety of levels, some of which are stated above me.

As already mentioned by others in this thread, it is understanable to make reports private, but a big factor against it is transparency and accountability of the Admin team. If everything is behind closed doors, it always leads to suspicions of biased or unusual activity - let alone missing the in-sight in the thought process and course of a player report. Keeping reports public (and sensitive information forwarded through PM) prevents these issues to arise and give transparency to the admin works and eventual punishments.

• Upvote 1

+1 all the way, and here's my reason why.

A few weeks ago, a Staff Member posted a report against two players. and ended up in the wrong. The Reported Party (Players) were not punished, the Admin stated the Staff Member who was in the wrong will be dealt with internally. Peering to the Staff Update in April, they got promoted to Senior Support. 

To me, I lost a lot of respect for the credibility for the Administration Team. When a Staff Member is in the wrong, I'm sure Players would respect to hear the Staffing punishment system, as I can imagine it's severely bias. If a Player were put in the Support Members shoes, he / she would probably receive an Ajail, but a Staff member gets to float on by because their name is red on Discord and they look through Applications?

All in all, the Staff team should be held more accountable to anyone else on the server, and I find it comical that a Support Member moves to Senior Support after blatantly Powergaming. On the same hand, if Players are subjected to punishments, does it not seem fair to withhold said Support Member until you are certain his / her quality of Roleplay has improved? If you're giving passes for Staff members, but not for other players who are notably in the wrong, that's just unfair, and destroys whatever accountability the Staff teams says they have. This is of course, my opinion. 

Make all of them Private, or make all of them public, within reason.

Edited by Geo.
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Geo. said:

A few weeks ago, a Staff Member posted a report against two players. and ended up in the wrong. The Reported Party (Players) were not punished, the Admin stated the Staff Member who was in the wrong will be dealt with internally. Peering to the Staff Update in April, they got promoted to Senior Support. 

To me, I lost a lot of respect for the credibility for the Administration Team. When a Staff Member is in the wrong, I'm sure Players would respect to hear the Staffing punishment system, as I can imagine it's severely bias. If a Player were put in the Support Members shoes, he / she would probably receive an Ajail, but a Staff member gets to float on by because they're name is red on Discord and they look through Applications?

A staff member being in the wrong and being called out for it by another staff memeber shouldn't be a reason to loose faith, rather a reason to increase it. 

They've proved that even though this person is a co-worker of sorts, they still choose to remain objective. What you described is much more of a reason to keep it public rather than anything else.

• Wuhtah locked this topic