Increased Punishment For Rulebreakers

CrisisGG

Hi! Controversial topic starter here.

My suggestion is to increase the punishment given out to rulebreakers. It’s too often I see people that have broken rules on the server who are given very light action as a result of what they have done, people even going as far as to break rules intentionally during police pursuits so they have a lesser sentence with an Admin Jail as opposed to going to the correctional facility and facing IC Punishment. As well as this, I find that people with incredibly poor roleplay and willingness to change with continuous reports are still miraculously playing on the server. 

I feel as though individuals who have been banned for poor portrayal, negligence to follow basic written rules with ongoing reports and lack of understanding should be permanently removed from the server. In my opinion there’s far too much leniency given, a less tolerant approach should create a better environment with far fewer reports and rule breakers.

Increase punishment time and ban length, it should dissuade people from breaking rules. Hope I’m not alone in thinking this, I’d love to hear some feedback.

Edited by CrisisGG
  • Upvote 4

Not that I disagree with this suggestion but would like to add on, more consistent punishments should be considered as well. I understand that situations are dynamic and some offenses are more egregious than the others, however there is a large disparity between the severity of the punishments given by different members of staff for similar offenses.

• Applaud 1

I've always been in support of a clear punishment system, not a "interpret it as you go" system. To support what @baechi said above, it seems that every staff member has their own way of dealing with things and handing out punishments. I get that. I was a forum moderator for several years and I was often way more strict than others. However in this environment, I don't think that should be so open to interpretation with regards to the actual punishment. There should be a clear and structured escalation of punishment to allow for constructive criticism and instruction (for new players) and then move on up into more harsh punishments for repeat or blatant offenders.

I think consistency is key here. I've seen some players commit awful acts of blatant rule breaking as evidenced in the red lettering, only to get a 30 minute ajail when they deserved a temp ban at the very least. I don't think a permanent ban right off the bat would be right, as I said there needs to be a clear escalation of punishment towards that result. I do agree that more strict punishment is warranted once it moves into that blatant disregard for rules / repeat offender territory. 30-45 minute ajails aren't doing a thing to these people.

Edited by Sixty
  • Applaud 1
16 minutes ago, baechi said:

Not that I disagree with this suggestion but would like to add on, more consistent punishments should be considered as well. I understand that situations are dynamic and some offenses are more egregious than the others, however there is a large disparity between the severity of the punishments given by different members of staff for similar offenses.

10 minutes ago, Sixty said:

I've always been in support of a clear punishment system, not a "interpret it as you go" system. To support what @baechi said above, it seems that every staff member has their own way of dealing with things and handing out punishments. I get that. I was a forum moderator for several years and I was often way more strict than others. However in this environment, I don't think that should be so open to interpretation with regards to the actual punishment. There should be a clear and structured escalation of punishment to allow for constructive criticism and instruction (for new players) and then move on up into more harsh punishments for repeat or blatant offenders.

I think consistency is key here. I've seen some players commit awful acts of blatant rule breaking as evidenced in the red lettering, only to get a 30 minute ajail when they deserved a temp ban at the very least. I don't think a permanent ban right off the bat would be right, as I said there needs to be a clear escalation of punishment towards that result. I do agree that more strict punishment is warranted once it moves into that blatant disregard for rules / repeat offender territory. 30-45 minute ajails aren't doing a thing to these people.

I agree with both of you on the points that you’ve bought up, punishments should be uniformed and structured in a way that escalates for repeated offenders. The thing that makes me question how people are still a part of the community is when I see the same name on the forum report section time and time again, and they’re still only getting two to three day bans when they should be outright removed, especially when it’s the same thing they got banned for just weeks ago.

You both provide very good points that add and define further to what the topic is about, and I’m glad that you’ve shared them too, think it goes to show that this is something that maybe I’m not alone in thinking.

I think this admin team is extremely lenient with their punishments, but as I have a tendency to be mouthy sometimes, I don't really have a problem with it.

There are very few situations in which people don't deserve forgiveness.

Edited by NickyW
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Controversial one for sure.

There is a lot of information that is available to administrators behind the scenes that is not visible to players on the server, this contributes to the issues of feeling like punishments are not "fair" across the board. There are some instances of this for sure, however, for the most part, the difference in punishment comes from what information we have as administrators.

If I find a player who has 15 hours on the server powergaming, no record, and they're understanding of the issue and it was a genuine mistake, they'll going to be punished leniently. 

If I find a player who has 1,500 hours on the sever powergaming, extensive record, and their actions were clearly intentional, they're not going to be given the benefit of it being a genuine mistake simply because it wasn't. 

Overall, it's key to remember there are things that you will not know about a player, and admins will not always put "extensive record" at the end of the message to clear it up for you. In case that you feel you may have been punished unfairly, 9 times out of 10, reaching out to the admin for an understanding will help bridge that.