/vget cooldown for totaling your car negligently (street racing, etc.)

Short description:   Admin-forced /vscrap on street racer/negligent driver's character's vehicles or a cooldown timer (thanks charles + the others for that idea!) if they're involved in a major MVA (beyond repair) that's due to their own driving.

Detailed description: An enforced rule or precedent set that would see to negligent drivers being actually punished for negligent driving beyond having to /vpark their vehicle for a day and /vget it when the people involved in the accident aren't around later. Essentially, if someone is street racing, speeding, or otherwise driving like a complete maniac without regard for their own life, they should at least stand to lose their precious 'maxed out' street-rod they're so apt to brakeboost through town in. With the implementation of 1.1, excuses such as 'you weren't there on my screen' or 'desync' are becoming less feasible, meaning this suggestion might actually be do-able. (Yes I'm aware there are still sync issues. Never claimed it was flawless!)

Commands to add: N/A.

Items to add: N/A.

How would your suggestion improve the server? Actually give players who have seven cars and one million in the bank something to consider when they mash W through town driving like the server's GTA Online. If players were held to the standard that there were, indeed, repercussions to slamming their vehicle into someone else's, a wall, a pole, or any other solid object not agreeable they might opt to race in more realistic locations and drive more carefully. Unfortunately, many of the players who engage in this sort of activity aren't here for character development, they're here to flaunt their assets. Issuing them a forced injury or even a CK would be ineffectual, as they'd simply timeskip or namechange to continue the same sort of behavior. Therefore, I think totaling out their car either permanently or for a few days as a form of IC repercussions for their actions is appropriate and could be more effective.

Additional information: Not really needed.

Edited by ChromaticDeath
changed title plus some changes to the body to include an alternative
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

I do agree that there needs to be more roleplay done around repairing cars. People often crash and just wait until everyone is gone so they can /vp and /vg and magically fix their cars. Doing car repair RP creates a lot more roleplay for the car owner, the mechanics, the other party involved in the MVA, etc. However, I don't know if forcing people to /vscrap is the way to enforce that. I think ultimately this just comes down to the person and how much they care about character development / realism, or if they just want to drift their car and race all day. I'm on the fence with this one, but I agree that people need to be RP'ing crashes a lot more instead of blaming it on desync or abusing the script to fix their vehicles.

1 minute ago, Moe said:

I do agree that there needs to be more roleplay done around repairing cars. People often crash and just wait until everyone is gone so they can /vp and /vg and magically fix their cars. Doing car repair RP creates a lot more roleplay for the car owner, the mechanics, the other party involved in the MVA, etc. However, I don't know if forcing people to /vscrap is the way to enforce that. I think ultimately this just comes down to the person and how much they care about character development / realism, or if they just want to drift their car and race all day. I'm on the fence with this one, but I agree that people need to be RP'ing crashes a lot more instead of blaming it on desync or abusing the script to fix their vehicles.

I said "totaled" for a reason! If a car can be repaired by all means, RP repairing it. My issue is in people slamming into other people or objects at 75+ miles an hour that would realistically turn their car to paste and just magically having a new car the next day like it didn't even happen.

I'm on the fence for this.

You bring up many good points about the fact that people can almost turn their car into a piece of scrap and simply not face any consequences in game. But maybe we're looking at it from the incorrect angle? Maybe /vp no longer fixes your vehicle or resets the state of its health? Something like that would be perfect but it would probably come with many flaws.

4 minutes ago, ChromaticDeath said:

I said "totaled" for a reason! If a car can be repaired by all means, RP repairing it. My issue is in people slamming into other people or objects at 75+ miles an hour that would realistically turn their car to paste and just magically having a new car the next day like it didn't even happen.

I think there's a lot more that comes into play with this. If we had an actual insurance company IC'ly that estimated whether a vehicle is considered "totaled" or not, and if they actually assessed vehicle damages IC'ly and all, then yes, it could work. But as of right now, the insurance system is basically /call 207 "31" "yes". There's a lot that goes into estimating the value of a vehicle IRL and whether it's totaled or repairable and whether they'd get paid by the insurance company etc etc. As of right now, with the script we have, I simply don't think it's viable. However, I would love to see an IC insurance company set up one day. I bring up the car insurance because it's a huge factor that goes into this stuff, and it's the reason people pay for it in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Yoak said:

Maybe /vp no longer fixes your vehicle or resets the state of its health?

I was thinking about that too, but with GTA being GTA and RAGE being RAGE that wouldn't allow any room for those instances where it actually IS appropriate to just /vpark and /vget, it'd be a lot of /report bloat of "can someone fix my car". Better to make it more case-by-case in my opinion but I know this is a hot topic and hot take.

Your suggestion is subjective only to punish a certain side of the player base, creating a really annoying mechanic to oppose them. It would be realistic, of course, but I believe it is not the level of realism the server aims for. 

You have talked just about street racers, and such, but what about the legal side of the server? What if they get into a crash? They should face the consequences as well and have their vehicle removed off their fleet.

Your suggestion is unfair and I am totally against it. 

• Upvote 1
  • ChromaticDeath changed the title to /vget cooldown for totaling your car negligently (street racing, etc.)
  • Wuhtah locked this topic