[LSNN] State Senate Inauguration: Proceedings and interviews with Senators Diana Jones and Laert Beqiri 

books

5yHwzO3.png

Y8l4IDT.png

State Senate Inauguration: Proceedings and interviews with Senators Diana Jones and Laert Beqiri 

BY PHOEBE HOLTER

MgBPvt7.png

Los Santos, SA -  Easter Sunday is one of the most important days in the religious calendar for Christians in America. But this evening in San Andreas, it also marked an important new chapter for the State Senate, as Republican and Democrat senators were sworn into office to start their terms.

Proceedings began with Senate Chaplain Pastor Gregory Francis leading the chamber in prayer. After this, Democrat and Republican senators gave their oaths of office in turn. This was followed by two speeches, the first by Senator and current acting Chairwoman of the Democratic Party Diana Jones (D) and the second by Senator Daniel Cardenas (R). 

For the second election cycle in a row, the State Senate has found itself split evenly between the Democrats and the Republicans.  So it was not a great surprise that the spirit of bipartisanship was the recurring theme of both speeches, even if that spirit on a nation-wide scale seems to be dying out.

Senator Jones started her speech by reflecting on the changes that the traditionally blue state has undergone over the past years as it's transformed purple.

"In the twenty-nineteen session of this Senate, the Secretary of State at the time made a decision that forever changed the political climate in our state. From a predominantly blue state, we've turned into a swing state."

The freshly re-elected Senator then spoke passionately about the importance of cross-bench co-operation, as she reflected upon her previous term and the previous split Senate.

“We held our hearts, fearing that with the rivalry we wouldn't get anywhere, we wouldn't be able to ever settle. But despite the fears, the opposite occurred. The parties reached across the senate and worked together, better than ever before.”

“With unanimous decisions, instead of forced tie-breaks. With diplomacy and cooperation, rather than unending arguing. The two parties, together. I may be a member of the democratic party, but that is what our motto is all about: Forward, Together.”

The full transcript of Senator Diana Jones' speech can be found at the bottom of this article.

74RyLba.png

Crowds gathered to watch the inauguration take place

She finished her speech by going over the achievements of the Senate in the last term, which then lead onto Senator Dan Cardenas (R) opening his speech by reflecting upon the fiercely fought election campaign.

"It has definitely been fierce, and despite the end result... we come to realize we're at a divide. We are here to represent you. We are here to fight for you. And we are here to continue to make sure the administration grows."

Senator Cardenas then spoke about the achievements of the last Senate term and how they could not have happened without bipartisan support.

"It's my belief that the biggest investment one can ever make are people. Working together is what makes us better, as humans."

The Republican senator finished his speech, promising action on his party's promises and stating he's looking forward to finding shared ground with his Democrat colleagues in the senate. 

“Thank you. We certainly look forward to working together.”

The full transcript of Senator Dan Cardenas' speech can be found at the bottom of this article.

4pqXAnt.png

State Capitol building, where the inauguration took place. 

After the inauguration ceremony came to an end, LSNN had a chance to catch up on a more personal note with Senator Diana Jones as well as Democrat senator Laert Beqiri.

Senator Jones spoke candidly on her experience on the campaign front, expressing relief now that the process is officially over for another term.

“Campaigns are very exhausting. [They] often include attacks from candidates at other candidates, and while attack advertising is very important, because it shows the people the difference between their choices, it's sad.”

Again, it seemed mutual cooperation was on her mind as she reflected upon her own campaign and her own disdain for attack advertising and political antagonism. 

“It turns people who could be friends, allies, into enemies. That's why I've always refrained from attacking the Republican party and their candidates, and rather just focus on self-reflection and finding support in various communities and demographics.”

But when asked about the potential dangers of San Andreas following the nation-wide trend of descending into partisan tribalism, Senator Jones did not seem so worried.

“Well, the Republican floor leader, Frank Ernst, is a long-time colleague of mine, and a man I can call a friend. Daniel Cardenas and I, while we do butt heads from time to time, get along fine, and we understand each other.”

“I think we can break this stigma of bipartisanship, and make San Andreas unique in that, as it is unique in many different ways. We're not like any other state, and that's something to be proud of. It allows us to break the barriers of the common and regular, and thread new grounds that promote more cooperation. We've seen this with the Republican Party supporting progressive incentives such as marijuana, and I think we'll continue to see it.”

TzjTl7Q.png

Senator Beqiri during a recent an interview with LSNN's Dennis Sidwell

Senator Laert Beqiri shared his thoughts on the inauguration too, sharing that while things had been more exciting during the election results day (previously covered by LSNN), he was in a good mood following the proceedings.

“Well, today is just a good day. Emotions are not as high as the day of election results, but non the less, a good feeling. I'm ready to serve the people of San Andreas.”

Laert Beqiri has been gaining a reputation as of late in the state for being one of the more younger progressive Democrats, previously sharing views on gun control in a LSNN interview that were later heavily criticized by fellow Democrat Senator Chloe Knight on Facebrowser.

Many things Laert Bequiri said on television today were troubling. What he said regarding the Second Amendment was wrong. It is not remotely in line with the values of the Democratic Party here in the United States as a whole, nor here in San Andreas. - Chloe Knight, Facebrowser, 04/02/2022

But he wasn’t concerned about the difference in opinion Senator Knight had with himself. He described his friendship with Senator Knight in positive terms and said both were not afraid to have their own positions on issues personal to them.

“Well, I'd say that a good thing if you ask me. That just shows that within our party we're not afraid to speak our own minds. Me and Chloe are good friends and just so happen we share different views. Thinking differently, debating, and brainstorming are what moves us forward.”

But there was no difference in opinion between Senators Jones and Beqiri regarding the hope for Democrat/Republican co-operation.

“Well, the future is hard to predict, but I hope we get to pass as many bills as possible with not much struggle. Our senate has so far shown the spirit of a bipartisan one, and I hope it stays the same when the time comes.”

Only time will tell if San Andreas will continue to buck the latest American trend of partisan gridlock. Our Sunny State is unique in many ways and perhaps politically it will retain that distinction.

The first major challenge for the newly elected Senators will be the Senate election for President Pro Tempore. How our representatives fare, we’ll just need to wait and see.

Transcript: Senator Diana Jones' (D) full speech:

Spoiler

Good evening, everyone, and thank you for being here. Thank you to the senators-elect, and to the crowd, for coming to witness this occasion on this sunny Easter evening. 

Today is a special day for all of us here. For me, personally, it marks the start of my second term on this senate. For you, it marks the start of a new period in our democracy. 

In the twenty-nineteen session of this Senate, the Secretary of State at the time made a decision that forever changed the political climate in our state. From a predominantly blue state, we've turned into a swing state, lingering between red and blue. 

For the second consecutive session, the State Senate has been split equally between the two political parties. And yet, in the twenty-twenty session, we've achieved things greater and more impressive than any senator ever expected we could with an equal split.

We held our hearts, fearing that with the rivalry, we wouldn't get anywhere, we wouldn't be able to ever settle. But despite the fears, the opposite occured. The parties reached across the senate and worked together, better than ever before. 

With unanimous decisions, instead of forced tie-breaks. With diplomacy and cooperation, rather than unending arguing. The two parties, together. I may be a member of the democratic party, but that is what our motto is all about - Forward, Together. 

It was together that we passed political reforms that ensured transparency and fairness in campaigning. It was together that we passed aviation acts, ensuring the security of our airspace and the businesses that utiize it. It was together that we granted sovereingty to a Tribal Nation, and together that we refined gambling laws. 

All these things that we achieved together, I wholeheartedly believe that this senate session may be one of our most fruitful ones yet. Not despite the split, but because of it.

So I welcome this session, and I welcome my colleagues from both sides. I would like to end this speech, by saying that I solemnly miss my dear friend Ethan Schmidt, and wish he were here to see us today. Thank you.

Transcript: Senator Dan Cardenas' (R) full speech:

Spoiler

'd like to start this by congratulating everyone on the hard work that has went into this election so far. It has definitely been fierce, and despite the end result... we come to realize we're at a divide. 

We are here to represent you. We are here to fight for you. And we are here to continue to make sure the administration grows.

It's my belief that the biggest investment one can ever make are people. Working together is what makes us better, as humans. And as Senator Jones mentioned... Political reform, gambling reform, aviation... and so forth. All of them, despite being Republican initiatives, have only now become reality because we have managed to work together.

I'm sure it's been an emotional month for everyone.

Now I only ask that egos are put on the shelf so we can get to work. Because that is what myself, and my party, delivers. Deeds, not words.

Thank you. We certainly look forward to work together.

Y8l4IDT.png

xI8d11c.png

> Comments are enabled

Username: 

Comment:

Edited by MotionSickness
  • Upvote 3
  • Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic