Taxes, tax evasion and the new script in general

maramizo

So as you may have heard, the new "IRS script", or so it has been dubbed, is set to release soon. This should allow the government in order to monitor taxes. This thread aims to discuss a few key points regarding how the new script would operate.

First:

16 hours ago, Xaleya said:

No IRS faction, it will be taken by LSPD. Said by the management 

This makes no sense. The LSPD should be able to report taxation, but not directly issue tax audits directly nor even take any form of action. IRL, only the IRS has the capacity to perform such acts (because these are specialized accountants that do literally nothing but massive amounts of financial auditing). In fact, LSPD having such a capacity to even monitor transactions is a massive infringement of privacy.

So, the summary of the first point is: who will be able to view taxes?

Second:

The act of charging someone with tax evasion or money laundering (two different forms of crime) is extremely tedious, if not borderline impossible at times. The IRS is, in reality, left in the dark. Countless articles show how useless the IRS has grown; the USA is the second most highest country harboring shell companies (click me). That is for a reason - congress did not support the ITLEAA (click me) then did not support the TITLE act (click me) for obvious reasons; lobbyists use shell companies all the time. (*)

Bill Gates, a fully legitimate business man, had also become the man owning the largest amount of farmland undetected. In fact, it wasn't after he was already the man who literally owned the MOST farmland in the US, that people would come to know this through journalists. Why? Shell companies. Not even offshore shells, but ones set up right in the US.

Even after the ban on anonymous shell ownership in the US (click me), the only effective difference is having the shells be listed as to have their ultimate owners be other, offshore companies. While it has certainly impeded non-complex shell setups, this step merely makes the US equivalent to the UK in terms of shell companies, and lord knows how poorly these chaps are doing (click me).

So, the summary of the second point is: 

1. How will people be charged?
  2. How will shell companies be represented?

(*) These acts were later integrated into the William M. Thornberry NDAA of 2021 (click me), after Trump's very lawyer used shell companies to bypass campaign finance laws to bribe women that allegedly Trump had affairs with (click me).

Edited by maramizo
Added more citations & explanation.
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, maramizo said:

So as you may have heard, the new "IRS script", or so it has been dubbed, is set to release soon. This should allow the government in order to monitor taxes. This thread aims to discuss a few key points regarding how the new script would operate.

First:

This makes no sense. The LSPD should be able to report taxation, but not directly issue tax audits directly nor even take any form of action. IRL, only the IRS has the capacity to perform such acts (because these are specialized accountants that do literally nothing but massive amounts of financial auditing). In fact, LSPD having such a capacity to even monitor transactions is a massive infringement of privacy.

So, the summary of the first point is: who will be able to view taxes?

Second:

The act of charging someone with tax evasion or money laundering (two different forms of crime) is extremely tedious, if not borderline impossible at times. The IRS is, in reality, left in the dark. Countless articles show how useless the IRS has grown; the USA is the second most highest country harboring shell companies (click me). That is for a reason - congress does not support the ITLEAA (click me) for obvious reasons; lobbyists use shell companies all the time.

Bill Gates, a fully legitimate business man, had also become the man owning the largest amount of farmland undetected. In fact, it wasn't after he was already the man who literally owned the MOST farmland in the US, that people would come to know this through journalists. Why? Shell companies. Not even offshore shells, but ones set up right in the US.

Even after the ban on anonymous shell ownership in the US (click me), the only effective difference is having the shells be listed as to have their ultimate owners be other, offshore companies. While it has certainly impeded non-complex shell setups, this step merely makes the US equivalent to the UK in terms of shell companies, and lord knows how poorly these chaps are doing (click me).

So, the summary of the second point is: 

1. How will people be charged?
  2. How will shell companies be represented?

image.png.edbb96d9d7ba2e46b6851ae686a708a8.png

Just now, Xaleya said:

image.png.edbb96d9d7ba2e46b6851ae686a708a8.png

I'm assuming this means that a portion of their DB will be responsible for auditing? I'd like to hear more about how this process is to be integrated. Financial auditing is a pain in the ass IRL and I'm curious as to know how this will come into play in game, given how simplistic the script seems.

I'd be all for seeing a separate gov agency being created and handling it rather than being jammed down in the depths of the various roles inside PD/SD. Would be interesting and cool to see how an agency dedicated to that alone would work in game and the way they handle things.

10 minutes ago, Pathway said:

Yea how will shell companies, money laundering, ect work. The way this is described in the dev update seems kinda simplified to me, it's kinda described as "If u use cash u get away, if u use bank u go jail".

From what I saw while talking about it on Discord is that transfers below 100k won't get flagged. There's plenty of room for people to set up smaller businesses that pay back to a larger one and so forth without getting flagged, people will just have to be creative and it'd be good to see rather than the current setting of people doing /me launders money through x  and not having to do anything further from there.

1 minute ago, Rascal Doporto said:

I'd be all for seeing a separate gov agency being created and handling it rather than being jammed down in the depths of the various roles inside PD/SD. Would be interesting and cool to see how an agency dedicated to that alone would work in game and the way they handle things.

Practically speaking, SD/PD are great at doing paperwork. Their forums is one example out of many, and so is GOV. Licensing, FLD, etcetera. So from a practical perspective, it makes sense to have a select few of them handle that sort of money trail paperwork as well.

The issue is the simple fact that money spawns out of nowhere in this game. You can /startshift and make 4k an hour. You can then spend this money to mod a car somewhere. Receipts don't really exist, and as such, money can't exactly be traced.

1 minute ago, Rascal Doporto said:

From what I saw while talking about it on Discord is that transfers below 100k won't get flagged. There's plenty of room for people to set up smaller businesses that pay back to a larger one and so forth without getting flagged, people will just have to be creative and it'd be good to see rather than the current setting of people doing /me launders money through x  and not having to do anything further from there.

That's cool and all, but mechanics can make that very 100k in two days. @xiDylan99 worked as a bouncer for 2 hours and made 33k off of entry fees ALONE. So how are cops going to distinguish between someone who made money legitimately off of the script, and someone who's evading taxes?

See it all boils down to: do you have a proof of income for your work (an ingame equivalent of a W2 if you're that bouncer, for example). I believe that any business that pays an employee - a mechanic shop, a strip club to a bouncer, et cetera - should create shift-based W2s in order to show proof of income. These are important. The business should keep them and hand them over to the employees if they are fired or choose to quit.

These "W2s" are what keep the IRS off of the everyday employee. Without a W2, the "DB IRS" has nothing to go off of. Everyone doesn't have W2s and they can't do jack shit to prove anything.  However, with these in play, they can now go after the big boys. That's a nice W2 showing that you've made $100,000 over a week, incredible. Wonder how you've managed to do that when your employer has only made $20,000 in the first place?

All of this being said, there is the obvious issue of the elephant in the room: the $200,000 starter paycheck. Given that everything can now be solved, how will these paychecks be handled? Will this DB be able to see how much money someone has made through these paychecks? A simple command to check the hours on a character would be useful here.

I think this addresses how this system, although simplistic, can now be expanded on to take a much more complex and realistic depth.

Just now, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Tax evasion and all charges related to that are federal crimes. I'm quite sure local police departments don't investigate that stuff [...]

There's no doubt about that. No cop would ever have the resources to even investigate such crimes, it would be farcical to attempt that IRL. At best a task force may be assigned - something similar to this (click me).

Whichever is chosen has no real tenable difference from a practical viewpoint. Merely semantic at that point.

5 minutes ago, maramizo said:

There's no doubt about that. No cop would ever have the resources to even investigate such crimes, it would be farcical to attempt that IRL. At best a task force may be assigned - something similar to this (click me).

Whichever is chosen has no real tenable difference from a practical viewpoint. Merely semantic at that point.

The most reasonable solution to this would be a Regional LS County Taskforce consisting of lssd lspd and sadoj tbh but yeah there's nothing much to be said here really. As much as I'd love to see some federal law enforcement on the server it simply isn't feasible since it would also require federal courts & federal penitentiary facilities to make any sense.

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
1 minute ago, weede said:

GTAW getting too big for its boots.

Apart from faction leaders and those involved with them in money laundering, this RP will be an inconvenient joke for anyone else due to how shit the economy is.

The only other alternative is to have the script keep track of how much money you make through it. That way mechanics don't even need to say a word and the business script itself can be checked to see how much money Jeremy Clarkson has made.

If that's done, then the only people that will ever actually involve themselves into that RP are people that need to launder money, because it's been obtained in questionable methods.