Removing Faction VoiceChat

Webb

Short description: Faction voice chat should be removed because its a detriment to the roleplay experience, i propose a alternative that captures

90% of the dynamics VC is supposed to solve.

Detailed description: Currently, Voice chat is implemented for the PD faction to assist in chases. However there exist a solution that solves this in a purely TEXT based manner.

The UI script of the PD player shows the street he's in. I don't see why' its not possible to broadcast these street information in a TAC TEXT channel along with a cardinal direction and or speed of the lead vehicle or the centroid average of a cluster of PD cruisers.

Its not supposed to be GPS and recognizing street names requires spatial awareness the exact same skills as what a normal VC would require.

This is what VC is supposed to solve anyway.

Commands to add: Not sure

Items to add: Not sure.

How would your suggestion improve the server?, It would lay to rest this issue once and for all in a satisfying way.

Additional information:

street info.ppng.PNG

Edited by Webb
  • Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, Westen said:

The nature of GTA V means there are hundreds of streets. In a ten second timespan, you can go between five and ten different streets.

Imagine the spam.

Can just be 1 second == 1 street.  Its also really not that usefull to keep it spamming.

I can tell you for sure, Teamspeak for IC purposes is very limited and even when its used Supervisors in PD like myself make sure to only use it when absolutely necessary, we use in game /r as much as possible but when your driving and chasing someone you cant really type.

3 minutes ago, Wally said:

I can tell you for sure, Teamspeak for IC purposes is very limited and even when its used Supervisors in PD like myself make sure to only use it when absolutely necessary, we use in game /r as much as possible but when your driving and chasing someone you cant really type.

Same logic should be applied to runaways who realistically could speak to each other in an escape like cops can that chase them. 

As old as this debate is, I'll refresh some of my earlier points.

2 minutes ago, Wally said:

By that logic, shouldn't we permit VC to be used by two or more individuals chasing someone else? Everyone has a phone - and coordinating a time-sensitive escape plan would be made infinitely easier.

I suspect your answer to that (as other staff members have stated before) will be that staff cannot monitor every possible voice chat call and/or room to moderate as appropriate under the current rules - to which I would point out that the LSPD voice chat is not well moderated in the slightest anyways, according to the multiple individuals I've spoken with who would be privy to that knowledge.

We could easily remedy this by crafting a rule that permits voice chat use in chases, but also specifies exactly what you are permitted to transmit. If someone acts on information they were not furbished with ICly and it falls outside the bounds of what is permissible to transmit in voice chat, you don't need to be inside their VC room to know they've used it improperly. So many server systems could be improved if only we would work smarter, not harder.

If we claim to be interested in fairness and an equal playing field, we essentially only have three options:

1. Staff monitors every single voice channel. Not advisable, impractical, etc.
  2. Voice chat is disallowed for everyone. My preferred solution, but this has proven unpopular.
  3. Voice chat is allowed for everyone, with rules dictating when/what it's allowed to communicate.

It's funny actually.

You propose the removal of police voice chats in exchange for a more robotic, metagamed and p2w method of automatic street name directions.

Not only would this be fucking spammy, but it would remove the need to actually learn these roads, locations, areas. Absolutely awful. Why bother learning the streets when you can hit a button and it'll tell everyone where you are?

• mj2002 locked this topic