Realism VS Roleplay; what's your preference?

TinPan

7 hours ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Hot take but I honestly wouldn't mind if staff/management one day said fuck it and accepted Los Santos as the extremely toxic shithole it is. Police casually roaming the streets with their long guns, extremely blatant illegal ads, legal organizations squeezing the lower-class of their possessions through predatory means, health care ruining people's lives, everything you can imagine.

Some of that would just make it more realistic, though.

2 hours ago, Jennie said:

It's a game, at the end of the day you play GTAW to escape from real life, if we look for strict realism we would only have another hell like IRL, I don't feel like paying abusive taxes both in IRL and on GTAW, I play for fun not to have a second job, for example.

^^

You can be creative without sacrificing harshly on realism, although personally I am more in the realism boat than the fun boat. However, I don't think it should be one way or another.

I believe that if you completely sacrifice references for your roleplay and realistic aspects that exist to attempt to portray, your character development in general will stray from the concept you were after. That being said, you can still make your own roleplay fun, add your own elements to it. This is not supposed to be a second life, but it is heavy roleplay. People just need to find the balance they enjoy while maintaining high standards.

There isn't a choice between realism and roleplay. The reality is your roleplay's quality is in direct correlation with its realism, and if you're RPing something unrealistic? Fix it. When people insist on being able to play something unrealistic it usually ends up with them playing something dumb that they get clowned on for. Just because there's realism doesn't mean that its gonna be harder or a second job, it'll just be more true to life. 

Maybe we should focus on the lore-friendly side just like the cars and clothes are. We should strive to make a world that works with up to 1000 players at one time while also making it fun and with opportunities for everyone. We cannot compare GTAW with real life and we cannot compare Los Santos with Los Angeles no matter what. 

I think there is still a struggle with the economy and how people are getting paid for what they do and this is very important in order for everything to be more realistic while also fun. And apart from that expensive or decent cars and houses are locked away from us that could offer more roleplay opportunities, better character development and overall better structure while also having people moving from Sandy or rather cheaper areas to live near the beach or in the hills.

I also understand how everyone is excited about the drug revamp but is that really it? HP increase? Let's be honest, while the HP increase more or less explains the IRL effects too it doesn't really attract people to take more drugs ingame and there are only so many people. I think that this will shift again towards gangs and mobs using it for hits or fights than to be used more from civilians which does not seem to be that effective. Nevertheless, it seems like a good system even though I think that the focus should be more on the visual effects + HP + something else, the screen shaking is a good idea too, if the screen is annoying you then you must take the drug otherwise it will just go on. (Don't get me wrong on this one I think that the idea is brilliant and it is a change, but will it achieve the goals that are expected?)

Some roleplay is more rewarding than the other which at times makes no sense and I think there should be a standard and some things have to be looked at and adjusted accordingly for it to make sense. I have also noticed that people are increasing age as they please depending on faction or their own interest and this breaks immersion in my opinion because it cannot be that a friend of my character suddenly is 10 years older while my character is still in his 30s. I think there should be rules regarding that and it should be standardized, also according to prison/jail sentences.

So, to put it all in a nutshell, we should rather focus on our own little world and our interests as a community while also looking at the possibilities than focus on making this little world like the real world because it simply is not possible. Not that we shouldn't keep it real at all times.

All I will say, is that any end of really any extreme is no good. Therefore, too much realism is no good and too much 'fun' or 'roleplay' isn't good either. We really need to strike a balance in the middle. We need to have a starting point of realism or 'background' (or continuity for that matter) and build our own roleplay from there. However, my points are always heavily challenged by those who 100% support reflecting LA into LS, whereas I say we shouldn't have to be so similar. Just because LA has 1 law doesn't mean we should too, and we don't. However on other aspects, some people try to do their best to mirror LA to the point where they only will roleplay what's based in LA, and I think that just defeats the purpose of developing our own story and roleplay.

• Wuhtah locked this topic