Emails

Entity

Short description: An in-game system to allow sending emails among characters.

Detailed description: It's basically a simple system with an email interface through which you can send messages to another character (or multiple characters). It's basically an offline version of /sms with a touch. I personally believe that sending 'emails' through the forums and including a 'send me an email (( Forum PM ))' is extremely immersion breaking. As a side benefit, these emails can be accessible (received, sent and viewed) through the UCP as well on the page of each character and with proper role-play to back it up, can be acquired and used by the LSPD/LASD as evidence. 

Commands to add: /email + UCP access

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? Quality of life addition; increases immersion; makes contacting other characters while offline possible; a more formal means of communication (i.e. an important businessperson or government official) would likely not send a text to their counterpart;  

Additional information: The command can be used anywhere and in any circumstances (except for a few obvious ones like being handcuffed or tied, in jail etc.). It will be up to everyone how they want to role-play it (laptop, phone, calling someone to send it on their behalf etc.)

• Upvote 1

I would love to see (alternate) ways of communication between characters. As of now, unless you are part of a legal faction, your forum/UCP account name has to be known and used in order to convey in-character notifications, messages and mails. A phone app for E-Mails and the potential implementation of physical mail (+ tied jobs / faction) would immensively increase the immersion, allowing for free communication between characters - may it be applications, invitational letters, information & notifications, general communication...the possibilities are endless.

I was actually thinking about the same thing... like you see everyone using - name.name@lsmail.com - and that actually made me think what if we had a lsmail.gta.world website for our in-character emails? Accessible through an in game phone app, website (when you are offline), UCP, etc... because really the ((Forum PM)) thing kinda ruins the immersion.

+1 for this suggestion 

Edited by dizzyizzy

Agreed, seems like just an offshoot from the sms system just with a different UI and the ability to be able to send messages to offline players. It would also make more sense in a professional setting to email your boss instead of texting your bosses personal phone. Maybe this can also add some use to computer and laptop objects in game. 

I wholeheartedly support this suggestion. I think it would be fantastic if it could work something like this:

1. Player creates one or more e-mails in the IG interface or through UCP, setting up their unique ID.

2. other players can now send e-mails to those players by writing to them through the interface or via the UCP.

3. The messages would be saved and alerted to the player when they log in like other UCP notifications are.

This could potentially give some of the current internet cafés more to do, since more people would probably go there to send and read e-mails if they didn't have a computer and didn't want to use their phone to handle e-mail.

16 hours ago, dizzyizzy said:

I was actually thinking about the same thing... like you see everyone using - name.name@lsmail.com - and that actually made me think what if we had a lsmail.gta.world website for our in-character emails? Accessible through an in game phone app, website (when you are offline), UCP, etc... because really the ((Forum PM)) thing kinda ruins the immersion.

+1 for this suggestion 

I think having a web-based platform similar to the MDC which the legal factions have access to is a good idea. It could be something simple like mail.gta.world and it could look very much like a real-life mail client. This could allow for further communication between characters and would prove useful for formal and important dealings other than the standard "what's your forum username?" that seems to take place.

It could also have some integration for factions, e.g. making a business email (lsgov.us, lssd.gov, etc).

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, Joe said:

It could also have some integration for factions, e.g. making a business email (lsgov.us, lssd.gov, etc).

I like that idea. It could just be a simple messaging platform which looks like an email client but not necessarily an email client. Even something as simple as entering a unique ID and having one of a few options of domains pasted as simple text afterwards (not actual domains).

• mj2002 locked this topic