Why do people identify civilians as "rats" immediately?

Sasquatch98

1 hour ago, DLimit said:

Natural in a sense that it develops based on events that occur in it's environment rather than ensuring that all pre-planned objectives are successful.

That's a good definition.

But let's also apply it in the context of something you said earlier, and also from one civilian roleplayer's perspective. Because "natural" goes both ways.

Earlier you said you wished that more civilians would RP with illegal RPers. I agree with that. But, since our characters are meant to develop and learn, the experiences our characters have will determine their subsequent behaviour. 

My question to you is this: why would a civilian character easily interact with the very same type of character who they've been robbed by multiple times in the past, or have witnessed entering clubs/bars/cafes/everywhere and engaging in random violence? 

It's a bit like not walking into a dark alleyway.

You've assumed that a lot of civilian RPers don't readily interact with criminal RPers because we want to "control" our RP experience. The exact opposite is true - we roleplay with plenty of characters we OOC know are criminals, and those interactions develop over time. We just don't easily interact with an obvious type of criminal. When we do, we keep it light and at a surface level, because that makes narrative sense.

I'm not sure if I stated that exactly as I mean, it but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. 

3 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

That's a good definition.

But let's also apply it in the context of something you said earlier, and also from one civilian roleplayer's perspective. Because "natural" goes both ways.

Earlier you said you wished that more civilians would RP with illegal RPers. I agree with that. But, since our characters are meant to develop and learn, the experiences our characters have will determine their subsequent behaviour. 

My question to you is this: why would a civilian character easily interact with the very same type of character who they've been robbed by multiple times in the past, or have witnessed entering clubs/bars/cafes/everywhere and engaging in random violence? 

It's a bit like not walking into a dark alleyway.

You've assumed that a lot of civilian RPers don't readily interact with criminal RPers because we want to "control" our RP experience. The exact opposite is true - we roleplay with plenty of characters we OOC know are criminals, and those interactions develop over time. We just don't easily interact with an obvious type of criminal. When we do, we keep it light and at a surface level, because that makes narrative sense.

I'm not sure if I stated that exactly as I mean, it but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. 

I was only referring to a minority of them that seem to use their O.O.C. knowledge to dissuade themselves from interacting with a person simply because they may seem criminal. I'm referring to those occasions where people are clearly at the bar, having a drink, with the intent to socialize, but refuse to interact simply because of an O.O.C. mindset. It isn't natural when it's OOCly motivated, and one cannot really judge a person based on the first few words of a conversation to presume "he might rob me".

Never claimed it was every legal roleplayer, but a minority of them. How would people be aware of an obvious type of criminal, as-well? What would make them obvious?

Edited by DLimit
12 hours ago, Greyfeather said:

But, your comment stood out to me. I know you can't give out names, but for people like me who only RP civilian characters, I'm really interested to know how this works. Are punishments handed out? How widely are issues discussed - by this I mean is it limited to specific incidents, or are there themes discussed and agreed on? For example, I've seen less South City RPers coming to Sandy and Harmony trying to rob people than there were a couple of months ago, might this be a type of topic that could be discussed?

Does RPQM get involved in the discussions?

Some people have said this before, but I'll reiterate it: if I meet up with a poor civilian RPer, I can just move away and leave them to their thing. But if I meet a poor illegal RPer, there's a chance my RP experience is about to be impacted in some way, probably negatively.

I just think it would be nice to know, with that in mind, what IFM and the faction leaders talk about.

I can't speak on your question about RPQM being involved in discussions because they've never personally got involved in one that pertained to one of my factions, but I can speak on the rest of your question (although I assume it was already answered) 

IFM discusses a wide range of issues with the factions under them, usually done as soon as the issue pops up or as soon as they become aware of said issue. They point out bad apples to us, they assist us with reports that we send in on other factions and also talk to us about reports/concerns that they've had sent to them about us, and they assist the factions with overcoming whatever the problem may be. As you've also been told, they also have a 3 strike system, generally when a faction commits an offence they're usually told by IFM to handle the member internally, but depending on how bad the situation is, they may catch a strike. If the faction reaches 3 strikes, they pretty much get closed just like that.

The illegal RP community would be in a much, much worse state if it wasn't for IFM. They've assisted myself and my faction previously in a bunch of situations 

10 hours ago, Yoshijira said:

Are you aware of how many times Gang RP'ers need to deal with debatable RP from legal RP'ers? Take for example MS13 literally having fecal matter and various bodily fluids thrown onto the couch at the spot they usually chill at for pressing people and simply saying "Where you from, you bang?" and then the overall justification being, "Oh well we were being threatened!"

I wish I could say that was a group of legal rpers who did that, but unfortunately I'd be lying if I confirmed that. It was an illegal faction (Who I'm not going to name and shame, although I'd honestly love to lmao), lets just say that a certain somebody woke up one morning and decided it'd be a good idea for his mafia character to take a shit on a couch publicly, as if certain criminal organizations (who irl are extremely lowkey and respectful) decided it'd be a good idea to start pissing and smearing shit on everything all over their neighbourhood because a gang happens to hang in that part of the area and occasionally writes the initials 'MS13' on the walls. I'm not gonna speak on that much further though, the players were punished by IFM and they haven't been a problem since.

This is a classic example of the bad apples we have in the illegal RP community, but unfortunately not alot can be done about it besides reporting them to IFM and letting them handle it.

10 hours ago, Yoshijira said:

Or the amount of times a PF wielding legal RP'er went all gung hoe in South Central and immediately took any provocation as a threat upon their life, pulled their PF and started shooting? Or anybody just failing to RP fear when they're surrounded by seven angry Latino gangbangers and continuing to act like they've got plot armor all over their character? Or even random legal RP'ers just taking the houses in South Central because they're dirt cheap and failing to RP what living in such an area would be, still continuing to drive nice and fancy cars and mapping out their houses to be wildly extravagant?

These are also daily issues that illegal RP'ers, hell legal hood RP'ers, deal with. Can I separate myself from it and recognize that these RP'ers coming over there are not indicative of all Legal RP? Yes.

Was just talking about this on a previous page, so I gotta agree with it. 

Edited by Garras Up
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, DLimit said:

I was only referring to a minority of them that seem to use their O.O.C. knowledge to dissuade themselves from interacting with a person simply because they may seem criminal.

I understand. This is not something I do.

5 minutes ago, DLimit said:

How would people be aware of an obvious type of criminal, as-well? What would make them obvious?

Face tattoos? "Whuttup shawty?" "Digits?" 

"Where is owner of business?"

N will interact with these people, but she's simply playing the odds based on her time working in Davis and other experiences. I suspect there's a few other civilian characters playing those very same odds.

Edited by Greyfeather
4 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

I understand. This is not something I do.

Face tattoos? "Whuttup shawty?" "Digits?" 

"Where is owner of business?"

N will interact with these people, but she's simply playing the odds based on her time working in Davis and other experiences. I suspect there's a few other civilian characters playing those very same odds.

Yeah, as long as it's natural, it'd make sense.

To a certain degree, it'd be worst to ignore a person as it'd provoke them. Best method is to speak casually and then leave, casually, without making it seem like the person was the reason for leaving. Everyone wants to be treated like they are a human being. Ignoring them would probably make them upset, angered, and even hostile.

All depends on the character, too. In the end, as long as it's natural and realistic, then it's fine.

Edited by DLimit
1 minute ago, DLimit said:

Yeah, as long as it's natural, it'd make sense.

To a certain degree, it'd be worst to ignore a person as it'd provoke them. Best method is to speak casually and then leave, casually, without making it seem like the person was the reason for leaving. Everyone wants to be treated like they are a human being. Ignoring them would probably make them upset, angered, and even hostile.

All depends on the character, too. In the end, as long as it's natural and realistic, then it's fine.

👍 (I ran out of upvotes)

On 4/10/2021 at 9:13 AM, Garras Up said:

yeah that was exactly my point but unfortunately people either don't understand or just don't wanna accept the truth. Funnily enough there's two articles on the forums about IC beheadings & rapes that ms-13 has committed, both of which were uploaded by LSNN. Still no type of fear RP from these fearless pf warriors.

Yeah, because their character is involved in some sort of illegal faction, they think its okay to immediately stop roleplaying fear and roleplay that they're on top of everybody else you know? Which I really think is bogus. Like me, I try to get down on my guys who can't roleplay fear accordingly because fear roleplay is a really important aspect of roleplay in general. And its not just the fear of dying, but the fear of liviing in these circumstances where it can all end in a blink of an eye you know? But in this instance, they're failing to roleplay fear of death. And it doesn't have to be on the spot where you die, which I think they should factor in but it can also be a staged kidnapping you know? But like generally, I think MS13 is a faction that should generally just be feared because of it's status you know?

• Upvote 1
On 4/12/2021 at 9:15 PM, DLimit said:

I was only referring to a minority of them that seem to use their O.O.C. knowledge to dissuade themselves from interacting with a person simply because they may seem criminal. I'm referring to those occasions where people are clearly at the bar, having a drink, with the intent to socialize, but refuse to interact simply because of an O.O.C. mindset. It isn't natural when it's OOCly motivated, and one cannot really judge a person based on the first few words of a conversation to presume "he might rob me".

Never claimed it was every legal roleplayer, but a minority of them. How would people be aware of an obvious type of criminal, as-well? What would make them obvious?

Well, there's a number of things that you can do both OOCly and ICly to tell someone who's roleplaying an illegal character or roleplaying with a gang based faction. Such as how they portray their character, for instance, their /me's /do's. Even down to their appearance that your character would see (when you do /ex). Their /attributes can say it all, such as any tattoos, facial features, shit like that you know? So yeah, there's a number of things that you can do to spot an illegal roleplayer.

• Wuhtah locked this topic