Why do people identify civilians as "rats" immediately?

Sasquatch98

1 hour ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

How come during a month of roleplay I've been robbed only once? You're exaggerating the issue.

Rookie numbers... Nine months here, only been robbed ONCE.

got robbed the other day but the admin voided the sit because the robbers didnt rp shit :/

Edited by Pete Williamson
5 minutes ago, Pete Williamson said:

**Legal Roleplay Propaganda plays in the background**

Hey, fuck illegal roleplayers... I guess that's all.

That is largely the attitude illegal roleplayers seem to insist and demand to have.

My position is only to ask transparency or responsibility for the current conditions, which are less than optimal right now. Somewhere, somehow, the criminal community needs to organize some monolithic force to establish some order and control, with rules of engagement. There needs to be some body of influence that can track down drug/gun deal scammers and size them up for cement shoes, or cozy up to new criminal gangs/organizations and show them the ropes of a functional criminal underbelly.

Right now, it's becoming more obvious that criminals have their own sort of criminals, and they're either accidentally or deliberately failing to keep those troublemakers reasonably under control.

9 minutes ago, Glitch said:

This thread needs to be locked up cause it’ll lead nowhere. One tribe will ignore its stink while pointing at the other’s stink and Vice versa. 

y’all first learn to respect each other oocly. 

This discussion was over in the first reply.

On 3/19/2021 at 2:40 PM, maramizo said:

If someone calls you a rat, don't pay too heed to them. Not worth your time.

The other 20 pages has just been a back-and-forth with illegal roleplayers trying to prove they hold people accountable for their actions, and legal roleplayers shutting them down and complaining that they don't see it with their own eyes so it doesn't happen. Unrelated to the original topic mostly but it was a discussion worth having.

You could compare this thread to Episode 6 Season 13 of It's Always Sunny, a back and forth about what to label a bathroom door which eventually results to it being called an 'Animal Shithouse' because at the end of the day, we're all animals. We all need to accept that we all have things to work on, and we need to trust each other enough to know that we are doing what we can to stop it. Complaining on forum discussions all day and not actually putting in your own work to try to solve anything gets us nowhere.

Always-Sunny-In-Philadephia-Bathroom-Sign.png

• Upvote 1

Thanks to the people who replied to my question - I didn't know about the three strikes approach. But I did know that IFM does get rid of bad illegal factions, I've seen it happen a few times. 

The very simple point I was making about impact was that illegal RPers really do have the upper hand against a person who isn't playing a gun owning Jane Wick type character. It's about domination of RP and game experience, I've experienced one situation in this game where the actions of one illegal RPer took over my game-play for about two weeks, even having people in his faction RPly (not OOCly at all, which is nice) go out of their way to threaten, harass, follow, and abuse my character in the street.

Sure he and they might think this is valid (and even fun) RP, and from a GTAW perspective, it is. But the actions were basically things that would get people banned from any other game - please do not take that as me saying he or they should have been banned from the server (Wow, I can't believe I even have to say that part in bold, but I'm sure someone will misinterpret what I'm actually saying here!)

But it wasn't fun for me. It consumed my RP and meant that my plans were on hold until I took my own (legal, because that's what my character is) steps to fight back...and then someone ultimately dealt with the situation for me.

That's what I'm talking about. That's the kind of impact an illegal faction can have on someone RPing going about minding their own business.

And yes, legal players can also impact similarly on RP, it's just my experience so far has been illegal factions doing it. Including on smaller scales than the example I mentioned above. 

I'll add, also because people want to misinterpret everything, I know this doesn't represent every illegal faction.

1 hour ago, Greyfeather said:

Thanks to the people who replied to my question - I didn't know about the three strikes approach. But I did know that IFM does get rid of bad illegal factions, I've seen it happen a few times. 

The very simple point I was making about impact was that illegal RPers really do have the upper hand against a person who isn't playing a gun owning Jane Wick type character. It's about domination of RP and game experience, I've experienced one situation in this game where the actions of one illegal RPer took over my game-play for about two weeks, even having people in his faction RPly (not OOCly at all, which is nice) go out of their way to threaten, harass, follow, and abuse my character in the street.

Sure he and they might think this is valid (and even fun) RP, and from a GTAW perspective, it is. But the actions were basically things that would get people banned from any other game - please do not take that as me saying he or they should have been banned from the server (Wow, I can't believe I even have to say that part in bold, but I'm sure someone will misinterpret what I'm actually saying here!)

But it wasn't fun for me. It consumed my RP and meant that my plans were on hold until I took my own (legal, because that's what my character is) steps to fight back...and then someone ultimately dealt with the situation for me.

That's what I'm talking about. That's the kind of impact an illegal faction can have on someone RPing going about minding their own business.

And yes, legal players can also impact similarly on RP, it's just my experience so far has been illegal factions doing it. Including on smaller scales than the example I mentioned above. 

I'll add, also because people want to misinterpret everything, I know this doesn't represent every illegal faction.

It shouldn't "consume" your R.P., though. It should be a part of the R.P. experience. Nothing should be "according to planned". Instead, it should flow naturally, as one's character development should be based on the events that occur in one's environment, rather than merely pre-planned objectives.

The same situation applies to illegal RPers, as-well. Every thing doesn't always go according to planned, often either delaying or even completely altering the arc of one's character. One of my characters had to remain in hiding for months, on end, engaging in tons of passive R.P. along dirt roads and hidden areas to ensure that he wouldn't be imprisoned or targeted. He had to murder 1/2 of his own faction over an internal dispute regarding whether "Natives should work with the black car or white supremacists". That was months of delays in the faction's arc, and it actually became entertaining to witness that the planned objective for my main character was completely altered due to these events.

Nearly every character became something completely different after those course of events. He started off defending the reservation with his life to ending it with "Fuck the Rez, what has it ever done for me?".

Months later, after his death, I had found out that S.D. were conducting MASSIVE operations to capture this character. 

Edited by DLimit
26 minutes ago, DLimit said:

It shouldn't "consume" your R.P., though. It should be a part of the R.P. experience. Nothing should be "according to planned". Instead, it should flow naturally, as one's character development should be based on the events that occur in one's environment, rather than merely pre-planned objectives.

Sometimes, "events that occur in one's environment" can be a problem, though.

For example, even if every robbery, brawl, murder and other criminal interaction was immaculately portrayed, I do feel that it's a lot harder to maintain a believable arc when you're trying to play a mostly normal civilian and serious, violent crimes continue to happen, over and over again, to you and around you, even in areas that should, realistically, be relatively safe.

It's hard to stay realistic and normal when violence that would make national news IRL happens on a daily basis. The city stops resembling Los Angeles and begins to resemble a war zone, so realistic development based on events means it becomes harder and harder to portray a realistic, normal citizen of pseudo-LA, if that makes sense.

2 hours ago, DLimit said:

Instead, it should flow naturally,

But that's the problem though. Define "naturally".

1 hour ago, hillievonb said:

It's hard to stay realistic and normal when violence that would make national news IRL happens on a daily basis. The city stops resembling Los Angeles and begins to resemble a war zone, so realistic development based on events means it becomes harder and harder to portray a realistic, normal citizen of pseudo-LA, if that makes sense.

• Wuhtah locked this topic