Why do people identify civilians as "rats" immediately?

Sasquatch98

I was just browsing through some videos and threads and after seeing a few comments, the question arose in my mind. The phenomenon can be observed on several servers; that if you are not a member of a legal or illegal faction then you are almost certainly not able to play your role and you are should not play on a roleplay server. Of course, this is generally voiced by illegal factions.

For example why does being a civilian living a decent life active on facebrowser and works as a journalist
, being a student at ULSA who goes to parties labelled as "cringe" or "rat"? Whether or not they want to play on the server as an officer or banger is not necessary that they all about money, can't properly play their role etc.
Personally, I’ve played in various cartels, mobs, street gangs and I’ve always thought that civilians are an essential part of a good roleplay server. If they and the factions that employes independent civilians did not exist, we would essentially have a gang war server tho. If a new player really behaves like a rat you can certainly push him / her into the right direction instead of discouraging him. 

Edited by Sasquatch98
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

Idk who would call you a rat. Certainly not anyone on my friends list. The people that I can presume do are a niche type of illegal RPers that take pride in committing crimes (probably more IC than OOC).

I like civilians, they usually have a depth and an honesty that most other role players lack. Many people in my very own illegal group aren't even illegal, simply civilians. They're super fun and I'm blessed to be with them.

If someone calls you a rat, don't pay too heed to them. Not worth your time.

• Upvote 1

The term mallrat was used for a percentage of LSRP players that went to the mall every day to "hang out". It was one of the lowest quality areas of roleplay on the server. Mallrats also typically had the best everything. Houses in the hills, most expensive cars. So on.

But obviously, we don't have a mall that people go to. However the term is still used by, typically, criminal groups as more of an insulting term. Like LEO faction members are often called robocops, regardless of whether this is true or not. Civilians are often called mallrats, regardless of if the player has any similar traits to the old perceived meaning of the term.

Long story short, it's an old, dead insult from an old, dead server. Its meaning is irrelevant and doesn't hold true to the players that are being called it.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

I uhm... First time I hear of this being an issue, considering I play as a civilian about 99% of my time on the server, I have yet to be called "cringe" or a "rat". Unless you are referring to the term "mallrat", I personally still have no fucking clue where that term came from.

I think it's just a manner of a certain group that you might be seeing often and they keep referring to you as said nicknames.

I suggest completely ignoring those people, don't make a big fuss about it nor make a big deal out of it and you'll be golden.

Edited by Biscuit
  • Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic