Change prison /jailtime system.

UpInWindPie

Suggestion template

Short description: The /jailtime going down when not ig.

Detailed description:So I've spent some time in prison now without almost anyone to RP with due to them either being afk or not even IG. I roleplayed with only 2 people in the last 5-6 days of my time being in prison and the maximum amount of inmates I saw was 5 making the prison experience boring and poor. I would certainly remove the /jailtime going down when not IG and reduce prison sentences, forcing people to actually have to be ig in order to get released from prison, f. Ex instead of getting 10 days for attempted murder you get like 24 hrs instead but you have to spend the time IG to get released. And so for every other charge.

Commands to add: None

Items to add: None

How would your suggestion improve the server?

It would enlight the prison experience by far and you would actually have more inmates to interact with and create some RP. 

Additional information:

Edited by UpInWindPie
1 minute ago, CrunchySpine said:

I can't support this. Some people have characters and other players to interact with and they don't want to have to be in game for their entire 72 hour sentence. You can always go to the LSSD forum and request to be a lifer on an alt character.

That's why I said reduce the sentences, I'm not saying that a person should do 100+ hrs of active roleplay in prison just to get released, hell no. But like I said "for example" you get 24 hrs for the highest charges and lower amount for the smaller ones. Nobody wants to spend hundrets of hours in prison..

4 minutes ago, UpInWindPie said:

That's why I said reduce the sentences, I'm not saying that a person should do 100+ hrs of active roleplay in prison just to get released, hell no. But like I said "for example" you get 24 hrs for the highest charges and lower amount for the smaller ones. Nobody wants to spend hundrets of hours in prison..

The highest we can jail someone is 20 days, and that would have to be for some heinous shit to get 20 days. Most sentences I give people span between 12 hours and 3 days. We also have a full on appeals and court system where you can be bailed out if you don't feel like serving your time.

Edited by CrunchySpine
47 minutes ago, CrunchySpine said:

The highest we can jail someone is 20 days, and that would have to be for some heinous shit to get 20 days. Most sentences I give people span between 12 hours and 3 days. We also have a full on appeals and court system where you can be bailed out if you don't feel like serving your time.

That's the thing man, people get 5,10,12 hours etc... They log off and come back after their sentence is fulfilled, if not removing the time going down when you're not ig make players spend at least 10-15% of their sentence actively roleplaying before getting released. So if you get 10 hours in jail you'd have to spend 10% of that time actively roleplaying in order to get released, with this suggestion I want the prison RP to get more active and to be better experienced, not just because of me but because of everyone else.

Edited by UpInWindPie

The problem with this is the jail typically does have a lot of roleplay in it, and forcing them to be IG typically results only in trolling or people finding areas to AFK and hide which will not present any benefit to roleplay. As the SD faction leader I'm always looking for ways to increase roleplay in the jail and we've got dozens of assorted requests / discussions ongoing with various stakeholders but every time we've discussed the "forcing" people to be in jail on that character for the entirety of their sentence (whether it's 6 hours or 7 days) it's always been agreed upon that the inevitable result is more trolling and AFK'ing while the people who intend on roleplaying will actually stay IG.

edit: clarifications made.

Edited by Jonesy
  • Upvote 1

You got a point there, by changing this we would actually have to work on a lot of things, but I see this stuff working out if it's done correctly, trollish behaviour comes with any circumstances whether you in or out of jail. I just want to help out with suggestions that maybe someone will pick up and actually think about it for some time

5 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

The problem with this is the jail typically does have a lot of roleplay in it, and forcing them to be IG typically results only in trolling or people finding areas to AFK and hide which will not present any benefit to roleplay. As the SD faction leader I'm always looking for ways to increase roleplay in the jail and we've got dozens of assorted requests / discussions ongoing with various stakeholders but every time we've discussed the "forcing" people to be in jail on that character for the entirety of their sentence (whether it's 6 hours or 7 days) it's always been agreed upon that the inevitable result is more trolling and AFK'ing while the people who intend on roleplaying will actually stay IG.

edit: clarifications made.

You got a point there, by changing this we would actually have to work on a lot of things, but I see this stuff working out if it's done correctly, trollish behaviour comes with any circumstances whether you in or out of jail. I just want to help out with suggestions that maybe someone will pick up and actually think about it for some time to create some balances between all the stuff that's been said and suggested in order to create things in a different way that would suit everyone in every aspect.

I advocate often for a means to ensure some of the sentence is actually served, but I also insist that there is an unnecessary cruelty in forcing someone to roleplay every single hour of their sentence. Sparing two hours of roleplay a day means a twenty day sentence could take very real months to finish.

The best compromises seem to be as follows,

- Only a fraction of the sentence must be served IC, on the scale of minutes of every hour that is sentenced. A day is several minutes, a week is possibly up to an hour, and the longest possible temporary sentence is barely above two hours total. It must be reasonably limited, but it must also occur somewhere during the sentence in order to have fully served the sentence.

- Only a requirement that the prisoner log in and roleplay a little each day. Nothing extensive, even just a brief blurb about being in a cell reading a book. If they fail to log in for that day, the day is not counted and their sentence is put on hold until they can/will log in on the character.

These are two softer, more reasonable options. In exchange for these, obviously criminals should also get more freedoms, such as cash robbery limits being relaxed (or removed entirely) and criminal activity should not be constrained by time of day, location, or rationale, as prison will be a very real force with which to keep criminals off the streets, rehabilitated, and/or conscious enough of the risk to reconsider carrying out a crime in high-risk conditions.

An increase in what prisoners can expect from their sentence is fine, but without giving the criminals some additional freedoms as well, I cannot support this suggestion.

• Upvote 1

Every thread thats made on this just gets a bunch of support by legal rpers who want this out of spite and don't consider that it will make prison rp worse for the people that actually have to be there every day (lifers and SD). if someone's gonna provide quality prison RP they wouldn't have to be forced into it, even if it's just a percentage of their sentence.

• Upvote 1

I'm SD and I don't expect someone to have to sit there and actively roleplay their entire sentence. At that point, what's the difference between IC jail and Admin jail. Our jail shouldn't be a punishment to the person behind the keyboard. 

Plus: We will only release you when you want. I've asked many people before if they're ready to go and they'll tell me they want more time. 

Edited by CrunchySpine
  • Wuhtah locked this topic