Foreign Languages, Slang & You

khadijeh.

Foreign Languages, Slang & You  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Koko said:

As a Spanish person who's bilingual in English and Spanish, and additionally fluent in two other languages, this is not my experience of how languages work. I find that mixing in words is forced and out of a movie's portrayal of wanting to present people as being from their background. In fact, I'd argue that'd be most common for the majority of Latinos in Los Santos to do the opposite: Mixing in English words when speaking Spanish.

Most 2nd and beyond generation Latinos in America are not perfectly fluent in Spanish. They know the grammar and they make minor mistakes a lot of the time but can speak perfectly well, but they don't know a lot of the specific words in Spanish.

Southern mexicans, especially the older generation or those more in touch with their roots, use Calo every now and then. Usually slip in one word or say the entire 2/3 word phrase in Calo then switch back to English.  People going "orale, mijo..  you did bien, ese" just sound horrible. 

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic