How to: Provide Information for Issues.

CrisisGG

Hi!

There's been a few threads popping up on the forums that I've seen throughout my time here and I would like to make a guide to help diagnosing issues. When people have crashes and faults, often times they might decide to come on GTA:W's Official Forums to report the problem, but may miss vital and useful information that support members or general community members could use, my hope here is that providing this could speed up getting the right help, so here's my suggestion!

What should I provide?:

Computer Hardware
OS (Operating System):
CPU (Processor):
RAM (Computer Memory):
GPU (Display Device):
HDD (Storage Device):

Grand Theft Auto Installation
GTA Version (Steam, Rockstar Launcher, Epic Games):
Are you running any mods?:
Have you ever had mods before?:

Fault with game
Description of issue:
When did this start to happen?:

How do I find out about my computer specifications?:

Windows:

1. Press the Windows Key + R Key on your Keyboard, you will be met with a run screen, typically it looks like this: CLICK HERE!
  2. Type in "DXDiag" without the quotations and hit the enter key, here's an example: CLICK HERE!
  3. You may be asked if you want to sign drivers, hit yes or continue if this pops up.
  4. DirectX Diagnostic Tool will now flash up, it will look similar to this: CLICK HERE!
  5. You now want to open the notepad application or a word processing tool (Microsoft Word, Wordpad Etc).

I have DirectX Diagnostic Tool open, what now?:

Now that you have the DirectX Diagnostic Tool open, there's some important details you need to write down, the following pictures should help guide you through this process to begin populating the list of useful information above.

First, you want to note down the Operating System, this can be found here: 

wWFo0BZ.png

Next up, you need to identify and note down your Processor (CPU), again, found here:

cX0Pesi.png

After this, we're going to move on to Memory (RAM), taking note on your word processor (Notepad, MS Word, Wordpad):

ePO40ak.png

Once we've achieved everything required on the first of two pages for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, we can now move on to your display device, to do this, there's a small tab at the top of the Diagnostic Tool that says "Display" which can be found here:

mbOShip.png

You'll then find this screen, which is slightly different than the initial as the information populating the fields is related to your Display Device (GPU), typically it will look something like this:

RVxtw9a.png

Take note of the "Name" field on this screen, as this usually relates to your display device, it can be found here:

QsDuuZk.png

Following the steps above, you should now have your Processor (CPU), OS (Operating System), Memory (RAM) and Display Device (GPU) populated on your notepad document, you will still need to find out what Storage Device you have.

Windows:

1. Press the Windows Key + R Key on your Keyboard, you will be met with a run screen, typically it looks like this: CLICK HERE!
  2. Type "devmgmt.msc" and press enter, here is another example of this: CLICK HERE!
  3. You will then be met with the Device Manager, it should look fairly identical to this: CLICK HERE!
  4. Navigate to Disk Drives, as seen here: CLICK HERE!
  5. Note down any Disk Drives you have available on this screen on your word processor of choice (Notepad, MS Word, Wordpad, etc.)

Okay, I have the information written down, what now?:

This is a good time to make a thread about your issue using the format provided above, again, these fields should now be populated with everything you have found out about your computer, and should look similar to the example I have provided here using my own installation of GTA and my own computer hardware.

Computer Hardware
OS (Operating System): Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
CPU (Processor): AMD Ryzen 7 3700x.
RAM (Computer Memory): 16384MB.
GPU (Display Device): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070.
HDD (Storage Device): Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVME.

Grand Theft Auto Installation
GTA Version (Steam, Rockstar Launcher, Epic Games): Steam.
Are you running any mods?: Yes, NVE, Reshade and ENB's.
Have you ever had mods before?: Yes.

Fault with game
Description of issue: A general description of your issue should go here, if you are crashing on startup, if you are experiencing freezes during gameplay, if you are stuttering and so on.
When did this start to happen?: Provide a timeframe of when they issue started to occur here, it may have been after a new GTA Update, or yesterday after a GTA World update, or after a Rage Update etc.

Final Thoughts:

I hope the above helps you to understand your computer a little more and provides some useful information which you can keep for the future if you experience problems with your machine later down the line. 

Many thanks, and good luck! Hopefully a helpful member of the community can give you advice, solutions and knowledgeable guidance now that they have a better idea of how your PC is built and what the installation of your Grand Theft Auto is like.

Cheers,

Crisis.

Edited by CrisisGG
  • Wuhtah locked this topic