Why are Fire Marshals closing businesses if there are so few of them, that they can not do inspections?

Tsarna

I know that Sharvit left Fire Marshals and it's probably just in a difficult spot trying to find it's feet again. I can honestly say that every fire inspection I've had has been quick, painless and a lot of fun to RP.

There should 100% be some leeway in terms of times and dates - possibly even allowing FM to access a property if you're not online to ensure it's up to code. Closing a business should be an ultimate last resort if the player refuses to cooperate. If they have showed some level of trying to do what's neccessary, then they shouldn't ever be closed IMO.

When I was a Fire Marshal for a very brief stint, I know those guys put a lot of heart into that RP - so lets not just trash them because of some difficulties it may be facing right now. As I said, Sharvit stepping down from that position is a massive loss and filling those boots won't be easy.

• Upvote 4
8 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

We can argue about business licensing elsewhere. The purpose of my post was to point out that we've been here before with disastrous results.

Four people does not a faction make.

If you can't get enough people to accommodate the entirety of the server within a reasonable timeframe, you have no right to shut down businesses - whether this be through business licensing, required construction contracting, fire codes, or whatever ill-conceived "realistic" barrier to entry will come along next.

All these things are sequestered away on other forums with their own logins and their own systems, etc etc. It's mind numbingly inefficient. I know we're going for teh realism but I think we're really overdoing government inefficiency if we're not going to take accountability for the fact that there's just not that much interest in *checks a box on his clipboard* RP.

buddy for one you need to check your facts before you post stuff.

if you don't even know the number of Fire Marshals', don't claim it. It's a lot more than /four/.

This thread is filled with misinformation and opinions that seem to be based on stereotypes thrown around in LEO factions, false information, and bad interactions by a minority of business owners.

@WirbelwindSFM has an entire system for business owners to get free fire safety equipment via a mapper inside their own system. They have never shut down a business for OOC reasons. This is misinformation and a strawman argument.

@TseardThis is not what happened whatsoever and that court case is still developing, from what I know, Monroe had plenty of opportunity to get an inspection when FM's were around.

I'm not apart of the Fire marshals, I don't roleplay with them, but even I know that most of this thread is pointless faction bashing that GTAW just loves to do with information devised from rampant hatred over having to do an itty bitty inspection.

Honestly typical GTAW stuff I guess.

Edited by KinnyWynny
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
2 minutes ago, lux said:

I know that Sharvit left Fire Marshals and it's probably just in a difficult spot trying to find it's feet again. I can honestly say that every fire inspection I've had has been quick, painless and a lot of fun to RP.

There should 100% be some leeway in terms of times and dates - possibly even allowing FM to access a property if you're not online to ensure it's up to code. Closing a business should be an ultimate last resort if the player refuses to cooperate. If they have showed some level of trying to do what's neccessary, then they shouldn't ever be closed IMO.

When I was a Fire Marshal for a very brief stint, I know those guys put a lot of heart into that RP - so lets not just trash them because of some difficulties it may be facing right now. As I said, Sharvit stepping down from that position is a massive loss and filling those boots won't be easy.

It has been three weeks, good grief. Nobody would be trashing them if they would do their work. I have had fun with them at some point too, it is not about it. It is about closing businesses, if they well know t hat they have not many people around. That is the issue - not the RP side of them, if they actually do stuff.

1 minute ago, KinnyWynny said:

if you don't even know the number of Fire Marshals', don't claim it. It's a lot more than /four/.

"Four" referring to the number of players portraying business licensing agents at the time of the screenshot that's literally right above what I said.

I don't know how many marshals there are, and frankly, I don't care. The point stands - if you cause widespread problems with your inability to get things done in a reasonable time frame, then perhaps we should get rid of that system.

It's not hard.

Just now, Smilesville said:

"Four" referring to the number of players portraying business licensing agents at the time of the screenshot that's literally right above what I said.

I don't know how many marshals there are, and frankly, I don't care. The point stands - if you cause widespread problems with your inability to get things done in a reasonable time frame, then perhaps we should get rid of that system.

It's not hard.

Considering the number of open businesses and the very small minority of ones that do get shutdown in the first place, I think SFM is doing fine.

Their last number of complete inspections was nearly 400? Fifty of were done in the last three weeks before they switched to their new forum system and off the LSFD website.

Again pointing toward 2019/2020 Gov Inspections doesn't point to an issue with fire inspections.

7 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

@WirbelwindSFM has an entire system for business owners to get free fire safety equipment via a mapper inside their own system. They have never shut down a business for OOC reasons. This is misinformation and a strawman argument.

Dungeon Crawler was shut down for OOC reasons.

I've been through this a number of times  — current systems are current. They weren't in place when they were actually needed and relevant, resulting in players getting shut down for not having enough furniture slots.

Seeing so many replies with such ignorance and 0 information to back it up always gives me a good laugh. 

The protocol in SFM is (and saying so as the one who created this faction and every one of its manuals) that a propery owner will get at least 3 notices to file an inspection request and once a request is up the property will never be shut down until the inspection will be concluded. 

SFM came up with unique and creative ideas to help property owners to have their license issued. 

For example, going to one of the replies in this topic, if the person is not a donator and cannot add more props to his interior due to reaching a limit, marshals offer to add those objects out of their own pocket / faction bank expenses. And no, there are no "4 members" in the faction.

Some of the replies are simply not objective, some by people who got their place closed cause they simply ignored every notice and some by players who got faction banned for their "good" behavior. 

You can't let someone to keep shitting on warnings each time they receive one and not enforce the law you have been created to enforce. I'm sorry but if someone ignores 3 warnings the closure is on him.

You have a question? The SFM discord is open for everyone to join and ask for a visitor group where you can speak with marshals, ask questions and understand the faction further. 

• Upvote 12
  • Applaud 9