Add a delay in the removal of spike strips

Benavides

9 minutes ago, mario said:

Law enforcement roleplayers have failed to regulate themselves in roleplaying realistically around spike strips, and admins cannot be expected to watch every instance of spike strips being deployed. I'm in favour of adding a scripted delay.

Hello, I would really appreciate it if people like you can think before they type and stop trying to increase the divide between legal and illegal roleplayers. This is game suggestion, don't turn it into an argument, let alone pointing fingers at each other with no supporting evidence is just absurd.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

Rather than a scripted arbitrary delay with the spikes appearing all at once, I'd like for the deployment of spikes to be staggered. Unless I'm horribly wrong, /takespike 3 just puts three spike strip objects out in a line in front of you. Which means they can be staggered.

Please see this fantastic drawing I made to help explain my idea better than I can in words:

unknown.png

4 minutes ago, Westen said:

Rather than a scripted arbitrary delay with the spikes appearing all at once, I'd like for the deployment of spikes to be staggered. Unless I'm horribly wrong, /takespike 3 just puts three spike strip objects out in a line in front of you. Which means they can be staggered.

Please see this fantastic drawing I made to help explain my idea better than I can in words:

unknown.png

0:56 of this video is a realistic representation of the set up, deployment, and then removal of the strips. Staggering it out over 2 seconds is unreasonable.

1 minute ago, kirbyz said:

0:56 of this video is a realistic representation of the set up, deployment, and then removal of the strips. Staggering it out over 2 seconds is unreasonable.

The timing can be tweaked, the seconds were just an example of how to stagger it out. Staggering it out across one second would still be better than an arbitrary time until they pop in.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, QuadTurboW16 said:

Hello, I would really appreciate it if people like you can think before they type and stop trying to increase the divide between legal and illegal roleplayers. This is game suggestion, don't turn it into an argument, let alone pointing fingers at each other with no supporting evidence is just absurd.

I'm a law enforcement role-player and I am describing what I have experienced throughout the months up to now. Neither legal or illegal role-players are benefited by a script that allows for such destructive power gaming like with spike strips.

16 hours ago, kirbyz said:

Evidence? Also, how long do you think it takes to yank a roped belt off of the road...minutes?

also - anyone doing this should be reported. Spikes are to be role played.

I am not here to call specific people out, that's not what the suggestion board is for. It is also unrealistic and an easy cop out to say that the abuse should just be reported when many of the abuse instances are only known because the offender themselves shared a video of it.

As the OP suggested, a delay in deploying and withdrawing the spike strip should be sufficient to curb any abuse and improve realism. It is up to the players to provide role-play in and around the delay.

I agree with this suggestion, one second to place, one second to remove. Two out, two in at max. Any more and we're making the time it takes unrealistically long. I can speak from an LEO perspective when I say that it's incredibly hard to even get in a position to spike someone, often times it's like they can read your mind and take turns every time you set up on a road. This doesn't really change the fact that placing them instantly is overpowered, but I rarely see spikes deployed and work. I've seen them deployed, hit and do no damage to tires probably a dozen times in the last year. I've also seen them work flawlessly, the script is hit and miss. A few seconds of delay won't hurt anybody.

18 hours ago, JustAnM43 said:

I'd write an essay as to why you're wrong, and I'd list over 15 people that actively do it with no boot but I won't waste my time. I'd be OK with a delay to spike strips, but not a massive one considering spike strips IRL are relatively quick and easy to deploy. 1-1.5 seconds is more than enough.

Then report them. This goes likewise for criminal role players who witness legal/LEO factions conveying poor role play standards, they are told to report them. What makes you so different?

17 hours ago, kirbyz said:

Evidence? Also, how long do you think it takes to yank a roped belt off of the road...minutes?

also - anyone doing this should be reported. Spikes are to be role played.

I recommend you read all pages in this thread to gain a grasp of what you are attempting to argue, this is from page two.

ab2195789c128dd5fce5f8f23ff1f3d0.gif

• Upvote 1

I collected a few of the clips that have been posted here and made a quick video comparing the times with an on-screen timer. I start the timer from the moment the last tire leaves the spike strip and stop the timer when the spike strip has completely cleared the road. Just a heads up, I had to change the timer into counting milliseconds instead of frames after I added the two in-game clips, because the time is so short.

https://streamable.com/w9dufm

So, it takes around 1.5 to 3 seconds irl to remove a spike strip. And under 0.5 seconds in-game.

A 1 second delay wouldn't be so bad, would it?

Edited by GamingNinjaSheep
  • Upvote 6
  • Applaud 1
4 hours ago, GamingNinjaSheep said:

I collected a few of the clips that have been posted here and made a quick video comparing the times with an on-screen timer. I start the timer from the moment the last tire leaves the spike strip and stop the timer when the spike strip has completely cleared the road. Just a heads up, I had to change the timer into counting milliseconds instead of frames after I added the two in-game clips, because the time is so short.

So, it takes around 1.5 to 3 seconds irl to remove a spike strip. And under 0.5 seconds in-game.

A 1 second delay wouldn't be so bad, would it?

Thank you for this, a 1-1.5 second delay would be the best idea here. This sorta delay keeps the fun part of the game alive. I do not want to be pulling back my spikes in less than half a second, that doesn't sound realistic to me. I hate doing it.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic