Addendum to Rule 5 / Rule 7 / Continuity (Client Side Character Mods)

Wisci

I am aware that the following suggestion exists, but would like to offer a more distinct and constructive solution.

Instead of simply attempting to take such things away, and in lieu of 1.1 being very 'SoonTM' I think there needs to be additional guidelines so that those interested in doing character mods can do so without causing visual bugs to other players.

Using client side character customization (hair, clothing, body, tattoo, makeup) modifications is permitted, but must abide by the following restrictions;

• The replacement item must only use working textures, and may not replace any missing textures.
  • Replaced items should match the style of the original item to the best of their ability.
  • Replacement items should always match the dimensions and function of the item they replace. No item should cause glitches, unreasonable clipping or floating parts when viewed by a player with an unmodified game. In example;
    • Shirts and Undershirts should use the same Torso option as the unmodified variant.
    • Shoes and Pants should not create floating gaps due to not correctly matching the length of the original.
    • Hair modifications should replace like styles to avoid conflicts with hats.

For someone who just plays 'default' with maybe a normal visual mod here or there, the growing frequency of people with characters that display some form of strange visual bug due to client side mods has become another distraction from any sense of immersion. While I would love to see a wider cast of custom fits and simply more options, Rage just doesn't have strong support for it as of current.

This isn't directed towards mods being used in singleplayer for photographs, only on server use. 

Edited by Wisci
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...