“Why did you shoot in broad daylight with a ton of cameras present?”

bonk

Just now, Henning said:

The core principle behind this argument about not shooting in broad daylight is the idea that during the day time more people are out and about and there for there are more potential witnesses. The point @maramizois making is that it's the opposite on GTAW. The servers peak player base has shifted more and more into the night. So yeah if I shoot someone in Rockford hills at 10:30AM on a Monday IRL there would be hundreds of witnesses around. But on GTAW that part of the map is absolutely dead at that hour.

This whole "Oh well RP that people are around" concept made sense when the server capped out at like 350 people on a good day. We're nearing breaking 800 players online at a time soon. We've repeatedly broken server records month after month even though many people are returning to work IRL. Now? There's really no point in RPing it because there quiet literally seems to always been at least a couple people scattered around ever area of the map.

enforcing that policy isn't doing the server much good in my eyes. If we're going to use staff intervention to curb crime rates, I'd much rather see it enforced on shit like people abusing the BF-400 meta or driving to the opposite end of the map from where they're faction hangs out just to rob someone standing outside alone. Policing that bullshit would have a way better impact on raising the overall quality of violent crime RP. You literally take away their ability to evade unrealistically and it removes their ability to get away with half assed robberies.

exactly. would have just thumbs'd up your post but i can't.

• Upvote 1

King post.

Two Irish mobsters in my city were shot in the head, close range at 12pm in the afternoon on a busy boulevard terrace in front of 100s of people. I think the rule should only apply to shooting INSIDE businesses because of the derailing RP it creates. Unless it's like a giant event killing in public is and should be normal so long as the reasoning for the kill is sound.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, SlickCJL said:

King post.

Two Irish mobsters in my city were shot in the head, close range at 12pm in the afternoon on a busy boulevard terrace in front of 100s of people. I think the rule should only apply to shooting INSIDE businesses because of the derailing RP it creates. Unless it's like a giant event killing in public is and should be normal so long as the reasoning for the kill is sound.

This.

Unfortunately, rules limit participation in report threads, so I cannot do it personally, but GTAV (single player) does a fairly good job of realistically portraying public traffic in various areas. 

I figured a good solution to this problem would be to just take an ingame picture of how many would be somewhere at certain times. Bam, now you know whether there is foot traffic there or not before attempting a killing.

This isn’t a DM server. That’s exactly what it will turn into if these regulations didn’t exist. No thanks. Requiring common sense and thinking things through prevents this from becoming an all out shit fest.

This is a heavy RP server. I’d rather this not become a war zone because people want to be able to murder in broad daylight just because.... “it happens in real life all the time”. Sometimes, things shouldn’t be 1:1 for the sake of this still being a game and creating fun. This would legit become a DM server. No thanks. 

Edited by Sixty
  • Upvote 1

I find the point is less whether or not it's possible for crime to happen in "broad daylight" or "with cameras present" -- obviously we know that the real world is stranger than fiction. The big difference, however, is the level of consequences. In real life when some piece of shit in human shape comes up and kills two police officers in a car, that will be with him for the rest of his life, and if/when he's caught he will find the end of his life at the hands of police, behinds bars, or in a chair. 

What we can't replicate on this server is the prevalence of those sources (that video OP posted would have had to come from one of the players involved because no building around would be "just recording", and there's a whole question of metagame there). What we can't replicate is the amount of witnesses that would be around who could lend crucial evidence to investigators. What we can't replicate is the amount of evidence that your average crime scene has on it.  We can't replicate the rarity--in GTA:W we have murders happening multiple times every single hour whereas in real life a murder in a city is a big deal (even if still a bit common). We can't replicate the investigative power of the PD and FBI because in real life one murder can easily have a whole detective detail focused on it, on GTA:W we have a much smaller and much busier PD where they're overloaded with just the amount of NEW CRIME happening, much less all the bullshit shit-tier nonsensical "stupid criminal" RP happening throughout the week.

And most importantly, what we don't replicate is the consequences. If your character who is a "stupid criminal" who killed someone in the "heat of the moment" gets caught, you're probably looking at a few OOC days in jail, which even ICly are just roleplayed as a matter of months at worst. Then your character's back out on the streets just a few months older, with a contact book full of new prison buddies, and goes right back to doing the same exact things like nothing happened.

It's sort of the same argument we get when people go "why can't we RP terrorists or school shooters, it happens all the time!" "Why is it unrealistic for my character to kill a person over something stupid, here are news videos and footage of real life murders done over very stupid things!" It's a matter of OOC courtesy and what's fun to roleplay for people. It's not fun for someone to come up and kill your character for no reason because we're a heavy RP server and there's not much to RP around it. Even in real life we don't even know how to respond to these acts of senseless tragedy because there's no reason besides "that person was sick." On GTA:W, it feels like more than 50% of characters are "sick" so why not just go full realism and let everyone just go around murdering everyone. I mean, the lack of any real consequences can be taken ICly, too, so why not? Why don't all the criminals on the server just create a mega-gang together and rove the city murdering every police officer they see, robbing every civilians, and turning this city into Mad Max?

Sure, you can say that's a slippery slope fallacy, but at the end of the day that's what people are pushing towards when they want to ignore these seemingly silly OOC guidelines we put on criminal activity. We put these OOC guidelines around it because we're trying to OOCly fake this world having consequences and complexity even while it's either A) physically impossible or B) just not fun.

If we made it so that a convicted murder charge got your character permanent life in prison, I'd be much more willing to let people "make heat of the moment" decisions and to commit seemingly senseless murders in "broad daylight" because then there'd be some actual consequences. If we made it so people getting killed by police officers because they pulled a gun on them or tried a suicidal shootout with the police was an automatic CK, I'd be much more supportive of all these "stupid criminals" doing as stupid criminals do.

Stupid criminals in real life (that's most of the kind of criminals people RP on this server) end up in prison for 10 years. 20 years. Life. Death row. On GTA:W they get small slaps on the wrist and it's clearly making it so most of them RP very little fear of consequences to any of their actions. Why not pick a crazy fight? If you get smoked it's just a PK. Why not try to rob civilians who have PF guns? You can always scream "RP gun fear" because you drew first, and complain about "stalling" when your broad daylight public robbery doesn't go your way. Why not kill the cop who pulls up because of your crime, there'll be no IC evidence left behind and it'll give you a head start on running, and it's not like you'll get in that much more trouble for it--just another couple OOC days in jail (and a few IC months, lol) if you get caught.

Edited by Ink
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
22 minutes ago, Sixty said:

This isn’t a DM server. That’s exactly what it will turn into if these regulations didn’t exist. No thanks. Requiring common sense and thinking things through prevents this from becoming an all out shit fest.

This is a heavy RP server. I’d rather this not become a war zone because people want to be able to murder in broad daylight just because.... “it happens in real life all the time”. Sometimes, things shouldn’t be 1:1 for the sake of this still being a game and creating fun. This would legit become a DM server. No thanks. 

What if due to your timezone/job you can only log in during the day? Are you then barred from all criminal activity from this video game because it's day?

10 minutes ago, Blowin' Hollows said:

What if due to your timezone/job you can only log in during the day? Are you then barred from all criminal activity from this video game because it's day?

I can only log on late late night server hours due to work and my time zone. I don’t get to experience anything in terms of many social businesses that are mainly open during prime time / peak server hours. All these businesses that would suit my character’s RP and work habits. I miss out on a lot of jobs that would be great for my character, but that’s just the way it is. You don’t see me sitting here pleading to change the server time zone to match the west coast of the US (which would be more realistic being that we’re RP’ing there), but it wouldn’t suit a majority of players. Sometimes yeah, you have to deal with the cards you are dealt.

Edited by Sixty

The onus should be on the ones doing the killing. On LSRP when you were in SACF, if you committed a crime that would have been realistically captured on camera, you made a thread on the SADOC forums so that they could at least investigate it. Same thing can work here. 

Create a framework where people committing the crime can anonymously report the crime that just occurred with enough details that would be pertinent. 

If you're worried that the majority of role players wouldn't do this then I think the bigger problem is not if crimes are being committed in public but more so the type of role players being accepted into this community in the first place. After all this is labeled as a "heavy role play" server. If people aren't willing to do that then there's no real hope in achieving anything. 

• Upvote 1