Official paperwork generators for PD/SD/FD/GOV and other factions (+ EXAMPLE)

Entity

tl;dr An official .gta.world tool for all factions to use in order to generate

I posted this on the SD forums but was directed to post it here, since it's more of an official, server-wide project than a faction-specific one.

I and many others would like to see some sort of official website or hub to aid us with filing the paperwork required by most (if not all) of the legal factions. Each of these factions has some sort of administrative forum work, some more than others, that we're all required to do in order to keep everything organized and up-and-running and it would be nice to have an official and dynamic system in place. This is why I believe this to not only be extremely relevant and important but also urgent.

I have put together a sketch of what the website could look like. I think that an experienced web developer (and we have a bunch) can do this in a short matter of time. It doesn't have to be anything fancy as it can be updated regularly, in time. The system would be similar to the MDC.

A simple, straight-forward explanation of the functionality: User enters their badge number and UCP password, then they're taken to their faction's page. If they're in multiple factions, to a screen where they can choose. On their faction's page, they select the category/division and are taken to the relevant forms. They select one of them, fill in the form and generate the either the BBCode or HTML (for the MDC) - something set by the form's creator. They then post it on the forum or on the MDC.

We currently have some tools but none of them are official. One which was has been discontinued, as far as I know, and was seriously lacking (only ~3-4 functions). For SD only, there's a ton of different unofficial websites and tools made by kind people but it's hard to keep track, neither of them are official and if something happens and they go down, we're left to filling the BBCode or HTML in ourselves (in some cases it's fine but in others, trust me, it's not).

The tool would be dynamic. Forms will be added, removed and modified directly by the factions themselves, without needing a web developer to do so (like our current versions). There would be 3 roles. User (default), moderator (can add divisions and forms within those divisions - supervisors within each faction) and administrators (faction leaders, staff members - they add the moderators and can see everything). The website would save the form's contents (to prevent accidentally closing the browser and losing everything) and the only way to clear it would be by clicking the 'Clear' button. It would automatically-fill the static details (Name, Badge number, date and time etc.).

Why? Besides the reasons above, which are current and urgent, we have to look towards the future. The server was almost empty, undeveloped and sometimes unplayable a few years ago. Right now, there's 780 players online at the same time. Factions are numerous, developing and branching out continuously. This tool will not only be useful now but will adapt together with the server. Otherwise we'll (inevitably) reach a point when it will be overwhelming to keep track of everything.

How? The tool would work similar to BBCode.rip (for who is familiar). The moderator posts the BBCode, links the form's fields to their place in the BBCode and that's how it would be filled. That also makes it dynamic (since different forums use different codes and such) and it's also fairly easy. For the HTML formats, it would work just like the MDC panel.

Some screens I made on the go. Please don't bash my clear lack of talent.

iUGK49L.png

Edited by Entity
  • Upvote 1

https://bbcode.rip is p much all you need, just need someone to actually make the forms first and then they can be shared around.

other than that, PD still utilises Xanx's MDC generator for a lot of things, so they're sorted on that regard.

and as for the main MDC? things are coming! 🙂

Edited by joshua
Just now, joshua said:

PD still utilises Xanx's MDC generator for a lot of things, so they're sorted on that regard.

Until that goes away since the dude hosting it was community banned. It was open source on his github, but he's since nuked that.

Just now, Redman. said:

Until that goes away since the dude hosting it was community banned. It was open source on his github, but he's since nuked that.

i'm very much aware, but he has kept it up and has no plans of taking it down. for NOW, that is a solution, and work is being done to help bring the conveniency of his generator over to the main MDC. in the meantime, bbcode.rip is just as easily utilisable

Just now, joshua said:

https://bbcode.rip is p much all you need, just need someone to actually make the forms first and then they can be shared around.

other than that, PD still utilises Xanx's MDC generator for a lot of things, so they're sorted on that regard.

That's the problem. Xanx's MDC Panel has been discontinued (it's been deleted from github), besides the fact that it only has 3 or 4 functions, nothing unit-specific, PD/SD only. BBCode.rip is good but again, it's not official and it's very limited (it's very hard to fill in more complex forms - like SD's incident reports, for example).

The problem with them not being 'official' is that they can go down at any point in time and we'll be left with nothing. I experienced this a week or so ago when I wanted to use one of the many tools we have and the website didn't work anymore. This can happen to all of them.

I believe we're at the point in time where a separate, official tool could be very useful.

2 minutes ago, Entity said:

That's the problem. Xanx's MDC Panel has been discontinued (it's been deleted from github), besides the fact that it only has 3 or 4 functions, nothing unit-specific, PD/SD only. BBCode.rip is good but again, it's not official and it's very limited (it's very hard to fill in more complex forms - like SD's incident reports, for example).

The problem with them not being 'official' is that they can go down at any point in time and we'll be left with nothing. I experienced this a week or so ago when I wanted to use one of the many tools we have and the website didn't work anymore. This can happen to all of them.

I believe we're at the point in time where a separate, official tool could be very useful.

i DO wholly agree with you, and think it'd be a great addition alongside the upcoming MDC changes, but those're the good solutions for NOW, as what you're proposing is a pretty sizable project for a small web dev team. as for SD's incident reports, feel free to send me over the raw bbcode (if you haven't already extensively tried yourself, that is) and i'll see what i can do in regards to turning it into a generator format.

Edited by joshua

We can probably implement dynamic generators in the CAD / MDC, but in the near future, I wouldn't count on anything coming out so soon due to the amount of work we already have.

bbcode.rip is already a good alternative to use and if that goes down then you're just gonna have to do paperwork by hand until our work clears out.