Flipping.

https://blog.suretysolutions.com/suretynews/do-i-need-a-dealer-license-to-sell-cars

The short of it is this:

"To buy and sell cars for a profit on a regular basis without a dealer license is illegal in every state."

I reported one of them to RP quality management and linked them this thread, citing a much larger problem than just one player. Hopefully we get some sort of official response and/or rule changes about it. Flipping shouldn't be allowed without going through the proper channels. Sorry if that goes against some players, but that's the way I see it. If you want to properly role play being a dealer because you actually enjoy that role play, then go through the proper channels via Property Management to do it. That way you can be vetted for character background / asset justification just like every other business is required to do. It's that simple.

Edited by Sixty
On 3/5/2021 at 11:56 AM, hippie killer said:

I mostly purchase cars from the server's dealerships, I'm not patient enough to search for a used car most of the times, unfortunately. I've however seen other players purchase them with little roleplay other than /me signs the papers and so on so forth. I'm sure you get my point.

What else would a person do during a basic car deal, though? Most people, in general, aren't super technical with vehicles. They're seeking the brand, the model, the mileage, the upgrades etc... but wouldn't be too familiar with the key details of a vehicle. I don't plan to stand and have a chat about the engine when my character isn't a vehicle enthusiast.

47 minutes ago, DLimit said:

What else would a person do during a basic car deal, though? Most people, in general, aren't super technical with vehicles. They're seeking the brand, the model, the mileage, the upgrades etc... but wouldn't be too familiar with the key details of a vehicle. I don't plan to stand and have a chat about the engine when my character isn't a vehicle enthusiast.

I would take this further and say that most people don't even care about upgrades, unless you're a car enthusiast as you said. A majority of car purchasers are....

- What year is it?

- How many miles?

- Carfax? Has it been in a wreck or damaged?

- Maintenance records

- How much will it cost me?

I know the upgrades are part of the game, but just saying in a general sense. If I'm going to buy myself a car, I want to know how old it is, if it runs, if it was taken care of, if its been damaged and how much do I have to pay for it lol. I suppose that the above list could be included into the RP for a majority of users. People don't inquire about damage because OOC'ly they know all these cars aren't damaged lol. It would be cool to get into that though and navigate the caveats of a carfax report and such. Unfortunately just like the mechanic RP, people have become accustomed to the quick in and out of buying or selling a car mainly from personal ad/cellphone car flippers so a lot of this RP slips through the cracks a majority of the time.

Edited by Sixty
  • 2 weeks later...
  • nateX locked this topic
  • 9 months later...

This, should not be allowed. This is not a hobby. This is a business, getting around the guidelines set by PM to run a business. Get a business. Get a lot. Get a license. If you want to use the ad system which is meant for legal purposes, this should be done better.

KbUlUGM.png

dKLfSaJ.png

Generally in most states, there's a maximum amount of cars you can sell for profit without a license. It might be a thought to put a restriction on the script on how many you can sell per month before you have to request a license/business for what you're doing.

Edited by Cypher99
27 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

Depends on what is considered "flipping" and what criteria are set forward ^^' 

Selling dozens of cars = business required? I don't see a major problem.

Selling a single car = business required? Please no 😞 

I agree. As I said, states usually have a criteria on the amount of cars sold before a license/business is required. California for example is up to five cars per year before a license is required. I'd say not to go that drastic because that would be crazy, but suggesting a script-controlled monthly limit without a business/license/lot from PM shouldn't be out of the question.

Edited by Cypher99