Why are FB deleting gun pics

Whoopty

2 minutes ago, orangejuice said:

You’re allowed to post your guns. Just not sell them through the marketplace, basically bro

Alright, just read the Facebook TOS, from how I understand it and I may be wrong;

Posting pictures of illegal activities is prohibitied by facebook and that depends on the state and country you are in.

For example; posting a picture of a PF gun should theoretically be allowed, whilst posting a picture of an illegal gun isn't allowed.

I did misread my the first post and that's mah bad, does change the scope of the discussion a bit.

14 minutes ago, orangejuice said:

You’re allowed to post your guns. Just not sell them through the marketplace, basically bro

So out of my own general curiosity, did a bit more research and to correct my original post;

What we both said is technically true, so facebook allows pictures of firearms but the other rule that I said also applies.

However, facebook doesn't moderate the rule that I stated due to how controversial gun control is and due to the the second amendment (so they stay out of legal trouble).

They do step in in the most extreme cases (for example; someone posting a picture of terrorists armed with AK-47s or kids with firearms [even if fake]) and remove those posts and suspend those profiles.

I went through our logs for examples, It's quite simple. Facebook doesn't allow it, we don't allow it plus this is the stuff that gets posted, regularly. 

Now, I'm fine with making rules more clear, making them more transparent and what not but guns under no circumstances will be flexxed like below. It just spams the website and yes, so do drugs, so do a lot of things and it's evidently subjective whether you want it there or not.

I will go ahead and say, if you want change to the rules to forum PM me about what YOU think should change and why. St3fan and I have only recently brought in a team of mods to work on FB, previously there were only 3 of us. Now we have 5 of us, including managers.

Here are some reference links: https://www.facebook.com/communitystandards/violence_criminal_behavior

1. Violence and incitement
"We remove content, disable accounts and work with law enforcement when we believe that there is a genuine risk of physical harm or direct threats to public safety. We also try to consider the language and context in order to distinguish casual statements from content that constitutes to credible threat to public or personal safety.
2. Dangerous individuals and organisations
- Terrorist activity
- Organised hate
- Mass murder (including attempts) or multiple murder
- Human Trafficking
- Organised violence or criminal activity
3. Coordinating harm and publicising crime
"We prohibit people from facilitating, organising, promoting or admitting to certain criminal or harmful activities targered at people, businesses, property or animals. We allow people to debate and advocate for the legality of criminal and harmful activities, as well as draw attention to harmful or criminal activity that they may witness or experience."
4. Regulated goods
"We encourage safety and compliance with common legal restrictions, prohibit attempts by individuals, manufacturers and retailers to purchase, sell or trade non-medical drugs, pharmacuetical drugs and marijuana. We also prohibit the purchase, sale, gifting, exchange and transfer of firearms, including firearm parts or ammunition, between private individuals on Facebook."
5. Fraud and deception
"In an effort to prevent fradulent activity that can harm people or businesses, we remove content that purposefully deceives, wilfully misrepresents, or otherwise defrauds or exploits others for money or property. This includes content that seek to coordinate or promote these activites using our services."

8dUoCJH.png

a0g0E56.png

ywXWGcV.png

590RuGj.png

XgfGD0I.png

9l7C2oo.png

UMkQdMa.png

EDIT: I would like to add we get anywhere between 20-50 reports daily, bots, guns, drugs, fraud, ooc mixing and what not. Having only 3 at the time made it difficult to regulate everything. Whilst I understand that this should be taken "IC" - as per the rules it gets sent to PD too. So, it being "IC" is in fact enforced. However, as a website, we remove the photos too after documenting them.

We just want a clean website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D :  <

Edited by Selena
  • Upvote 1
  • Selena locked this topic