Thoughts on police response times?

Yoshijira

1 hour ago, Topiyo said:

PD members should have mandatory patrol hours in wealthy areas. 

maybe if there were characters capable of affording residency or business opening up between vinewood and the county, maybe. as it stands, it's a roleplay server and players congregate to roleplay with other players; i haven't seen any roleplay happen in richman. not one business open.

to me, the whole thread looks like people that cannot escalate crime find it necessary to complain that the police has a monopoly on force and don't let people get away with their crimes by standing down/responding single-file or hanging back to be picked off like it's singleplayer gta

Edited by AlphaBatal
1 hour ago, Topiyo said:

Similar to how SD have mandatory hours in TTCF, PD members should have mandatory patrol hours in wealthy areas. 

"Criminals should have mandatory hours in which they have to work at a business because they'd do this IRL to earn money" 

SD deputies choose to go to TTCF. Not every deputy has mandatory hours at TTCF (I think?).

Forcing people to do something is bad. If my character's gonna be forced to be inside a wealthy area even though I'm assigned to the "South Central Area Detectives Division", you're breaking more realism than possible.

There's cops that stick to the wealthy areas by choice & there's cops that RP around South-Central all day long by choice. And there's cops doing both.

Now, there's definitely some cops which are doing unrealistic things. The only way to handle them is to report them to PD staff or to administration.

• Upvote 1

This is like that turf camping thread that came up last year. Except it's way more off base. Like it's almost a ridiculous suggestion. What's next? All the cops need to sit at the station until someone calls 911 except for like 1 or 2 that can be out on patrol but only outside of the city?

Lemme help you out here. Cops will stop swarming areas you're doing stuff in if you just  you know.....stop ripping each with automatics five or six times a day like you're in Mogadishu circa 1993....

It's not difficult. But if you honestly think that they're not going to hang out in Davis when they know about every 20-25 minutes there's gonna be another dead "/me is 16" guy at the LTD or in the alley behind it, you're crazy. They're there to RP, same as you are.

• Upvote 1

Don't patrol alone in areas with high crime rates and don't engage in an active shootout until back up has arrived. The two ways you can make police responses to active crimes more realistic. 

I agree that it's unrealistic to ask for an increased response time. I don't agree with the claims that officers who are assigned to South Central would be told by their department to camp in a high crime rate area as if their staffing pool is infinite and they don't value the lives of their officers. 

2 minutes ago, Topiyo said:

Don't patrol alone in areas with high crime rates and don't engage in an active shootout until back up has arrived. The two ways you can make police responses to active crimes more realistic. 

I agree that it's unrealistic to ask for an increased response time. I don't agree with the claims that officers who are assigned to South Central would be told by their department to camp in a high crime rate area as if their staffing pool is infinite and they don't value the lives of their officers. 

I'm just gonna say. The cops ain't picking when the shootouts start the majority of the time.

And the pool of hood rats is a lot smaller than the pool of cops. So while I agree that life should be treated carefully, it's hard for me to appreciate the argument about staffing pools not being infinite and the value of life when the same gangbangers be down there getting killed 5-6 times a week by the same dudes and the same cops. You know what I mean?

5 minutes ago, Topiyo said:

pretty sure cops can get cked over disregarding their own lives; getting gunned down by a singular cop or a pair in a cruiser is mostly either in self defense or you being blindsided while actively firing on somebody else and an opportunistic roleplayer using the, yeah, opportunity to gat you down.

issue'd be resolved if perp-started shootouts ended in cks; this isnt baghdad, you attack the police, who are militarized and have more people on call than you do, you lose. and it worked on mta; people didn't bumrush cops with fucking hammers just to pk out of charges, because admins were unapologetic and treated poor roleplay harshly and thus, ck'd the people that instigated a shootout with the police and lost.

ideally, it'd help out here too. less initiative to get killed in a shootout to avoid coincidences, more initiative to lay down your gun when 4-5 cops have ar-15s aimed at you and turn yourself in.

1 hour ago, Topiyo said:

The only thing than I see irrealistic is police actually camping the high criminality zones, maybe the entraces or places where the traffic is most common, but not the places itself... In real life that will be a death sentence since any criminal with desire of glory/revenge will try to murder a cop than is just standing right there, its a easy target... This might fall on not rping fear in the case of the police and they should get a CK due their actions.

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, Xaleya said:

The only thing than I see irrealistic is police actually camping the high criminality zones, maybe the entraces or places where the traffic is most common, but not the places itself... In real life that will be a death sentence since any criminal with desire of glory/revenge will try to murder a cop than is just standing right there, its a easy target... This might fall on not rping fear in the case of the police and they should get a CK due their actions.

Honestly I think I would have to challenge this idea in some fashion. Now, as far as actual GANG territories, I wouldn't know about that. However, I do see local NYPD camping around in bad neighborhoods. You might think they're always 'on-the-move', however I have seen them parked up plenty of times. A few times, I've even seen them out of their patrol vehicles having a conversation with one another.

I think people just need to adapt rather than complain about police presence. It only makes sense that there is. If police are present in an area, either delay your crimes or perform them elsewhere. However, I personally don't believe that the LSPD truly camp any spot but rather patrol areas frequently.

IC actions = IC consequences. If there's an area of high crime you can't expect police to only act reactively to crime. The police has an interest not only in criminals being arrested, but on crime not happening in the first place. The way things are, I think LEO factions are already lenient enough particularly when it comes to illegal factions, because obviously we have to suspend some disbelief and not immediately shut them down despite the fact that most illegal organizations aren't particularly secretive.

On 2/21/2021 at 3:28 PM, pateuvasiliu said:

The only reasonable way I could think of is to delay 911 calls showing up in Dispatch by say 1 minute, which would IC be explained by the fact that when someone calls 911 in real life it doesn't immediately get broadcasted to everyone.

This. This is perfect and realistic. When you call 911 in real life, it takes about 45 ish seconds to a minute (a little more or less) for the actual dispatcher to broadcast the emergency. I think it'd be completely realistic and fair to implement a timer. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic