Thoughts on police response times?

Yoshijira

I somewhat agree with you that the reponse time is Indeed quick, but that's something which literally cannot be solved. What can we do? Ask our mmebers to ignore the call for twenty seconds? Well, that's just sort of dumb.

Although, I do believe that no city is as crime riddled as Los Santos is, hence the counter to it is immidiate police reponse? I don't know? It seems to add up to me.

53 minutes ago, DomThomson said:

That doesn't change anything, simply makes it more apparent. If I take a real-life example, the LAPD has a ratio of one officer for every 433 residents, total the LAPD having around 9000 to 10000 sworn employees, for the WHOLE area of Los Angeles, that is being services at least, with the ratio being used available on the official LAPD website as specified above, the employees serve around 3,897,000 residents, which is about right according to 2016 which recorded a total of 3,976,322 City of Los Angeles residents, which is very much higher then the average of 600 to 700 players that we get.

Continuing further, let's select an average area that is services by the Los Angeles Police Department, such as the Central Area. COMPSTAT unit estimating around 842,700 residents living in the Central Bureau under which are five areas of operations maintained by the LAPD with one of them being the Central area, with the name giving off that it's a centralized position. If we are generous and say that each area has the same amount of residents, we come up with 168,540 residents in the Central Area which is simply an estimate. Taking that number into account, each Area operated by the LAPD has a Patrol Division assigned under it, which three Watches; morning, afternoon, and night each with the length being eight hours, counting up to twenty-four-hour coverage. Under each watch is an unspecified amount of Patrols, unsure if it's called that IRL, depending on the Area. BUT, only one Patrol is always on shift assigned to a watch, according to state-wide and LAPD data, an average watch has around 15 officers assigned to it, with the number being lower or higher depending on the area of operations and mainly crime-rate. If we look at all of that information, it tells us that for the Central Area, 15 officers are serving 842,700 residents; giving us a ratio of one officer for every 11,236 residents.

If we were to apply the data shown above to the server, with city-wide data provided by the Los Angeles Police Department, we would require around two officers for the population of 700 people on the server, taking in the Central Area data, that number would drop to one, or if specific mathematically needed, 0.08899 officers. Currently, at the peak where around 700 people are on the server, we have anything between 20 to 40 LEOs online, meaning that the ratio of law enforcement to players if we say that the average for 700 people is 30 law enforcement, it's one officer per 23 players. Very far from city-wide data of one officer for every 433 residents and VERY far from our estimate of one officer for every 11,236 residents for the Central Area. 

Why did I put all of the information here you might ask? Simple, I want to put into perspective while our response time might be much quicker than the average of the LAPD which is around 5 minutes to emergencies and around 20 minutes to non-emergency times. Of course, they are MANY other factors to why our response time is quicker than IRL such as that we have two law enforcement agencies servicing the whole county and city, players responding to interesting calls and ignoring the ones that need paperwork done, patroling the active areas of the city, etc. Is there a feasible fix for both illegal and legal roleplayers? No, not at all, and I don't think that there will be a fix that will simply service both sides, and in my opinion, the best idea is to simply leave it as it is. 

To answer the argument that we, law enforcement roleplayers, should not respond to crimes as quickly as we do or that simply put doing crime is not feasible is simply a pretty large lie, at least in my opinion. If you want to commit a crime, such as killing somebody, you have to understand that doing it in the middle of the road isn't feasible and you are ASKING to get caught. I was involved in a situation the other day on Hawick, parked in a parking lot at the corner doing some passive roleplay before hearing shots in the area, get out to look around, and low and behold I see a person shooting at somebody in the middle of the road, so I approach and take him down. Was it my issue that I was on the corner and am too OVERPOWERED to do so? No, you got shot because you did it in a public place with a Sheriff's cruiser parked around the corner, that is your fault. To continue addressing this, people that do that still get away with it because of server population; what I mean is that you can shoot up somebody in the middle of a street around Vinewood and get away with it because no players were around the area, even though it was in a public area on a PUBLIC STREET, the only thing I want to say is to think like if an officer could literally at all times cut around the corner to catch you because that is a pretty realistic way to go about it, think about doing something and if there is a chance that you could be seen or get caught. 

If you see anything incorrect here, please do correct me.

So let me get this straight... you're asking for the server to demand we only have 1-2 officers or magically make half an officer to patrol the streets? This makes no sense and once again you are comparing us to LA but we are LS. Our crime rate is far superior of LA. 

As for just asking to get caught shooting somebody in the middle of street... well that's pretty logical. You shoot somebody in the middle of the street when you know a shit ton of officers are patrolling the area at all times... it's a dumb decision on the shooters end lol.

If you want to shoot somebody and get away perform a drive-by and speed off. Gloves and a mask and you are golden. Dont kill him during the drive-by? Move on, the roleplay continues.

As it currently stands i dont see this changing at all because it isnt a realistic change to "make the city less safe" lol. And coming from a illegal rper, if you get caught killing somebody maybe you should of moved smarter than gunning somebody down in the middle of the street and it would of never happened in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Juicebox. said:

So let me get this straight... you're asking for the server to demand we only have 1-2 officers or magically make half an officer to patrol the streets? This makes no sense and once again you are comparing us to LA but we are LS. Our crime rate is far superior of LA. 

As for just asking to get caught shooting somebody in the middle of street... well that's pretty logical. You shoot somebody in the middle of the street when you know a shit ton of officers are patrolling the area at all times... it's a dumb decision on the shooters end lol.

If you want to shoot somebody and get away perform a drive-by and speed off. Gloves and a mask and you are golden. Dont kill him during the drive-by? Move on, the roleplay continues.

As it currently stands i dont see this changing at all because it isnt a realistic change to "make the city less safe" lol. And coming from a illegal rper, if you get caught killing somebody maybe you should of moved smarter than gunning somebody down in the middle of the street and it would of never happened in the first place.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to point out, people on this topic are specifically saying that what we are doing is highly unrealistic in terms of response numbers and response time, I simply listed the city that we, the server and mainly law enforcement agencies, are trying to portray which is Los Angeles. I took the real numbers and pointed out that if we were to do it realistically it would simply be ridiculous with the numbers and such, that's all, I in no way agree that it should be limited in terms of response time and the thought of having two officers in order for it to be realistic is beyond retarded. 

To attach another reason, crime rate. If I pull out the same area I was talking about which is Central Area and it's crime statistics which are done monthly by the COMPSTAT Unit you can understand why we should in no way try to emulate realistic response times to emergencies, here is the report:

w6QfuWQ.png

I don't think I need to explain much, it's pretty obvious that the crime-rate only in South Central is much higher, in terms of violent crime, then an actual Area within Los Angeles where over 100,000 people live. Once again, I understand that putting this against a server is unfair in a sense, but what I am trying to do is put things into perspective, that's all.

8 minutes ago, DomThomson said:

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to point out, people on this topic are specifically saying that what we are doing is highly unrealistic in terms of response numbers and response time, I simply listed the city that we, the server and mainly law enforcement agencies, are trying to portray which is Los Angeles. I took the real numbers and pointed out that if we were to do it realistically it would simply be ridiculous with the numbers and such, that's all, I in no way agree that it should be limited in terms of response time and the thought of having two officers in order for it to be realistic is beyond retarded. 

To attach another reason, crime rate. If I pull out the same area I was talking about which is Central Area and it's crime statistics which are done monthly by the COMPSTAT Unit you can understand why we should in no way try to emulate realistic response times to emergencies, here is the report:

w6QfuWQ.png

I don't think I need to explain much, it's pretty obvious that the crime-rate only in South Central is much higher, in terms of violent crime, then an actual Area within Los Angeles where over 100,000 people live. Once again, I understand that putting this against a server is unfair in a sense, but what I am trying to do is put things into perspective, that's all.

Okay yeah I thought you were asking for a direct ratio comparable to LA never mind lol

17 hours ago, Ronnie two poles said:

To a shots fired?

7 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Yes, we had an incident of shots fired, took like 10 minutes almost before they arrived. Business is like block & a half away from Mission Row too.

I find that kind of hard to believe considering when I was in LSPD the entire department joined the channel as soon as someone central'd the shots fired or a 911 popped up. Then show up deep like a 6 star GTA wanted level. 

Maybe that happened one time but. 

Edited by Ronnie two poles

I'll agree that we do respond very quickly, but there's no practical way around it as far as I can see. Hell, I actively patrol in the lesser-traveled areas of the city specifically so that A) There can be more realistic coverage and B) To actually give criminals a chance to escape if I see, hear, or am requested to go somewhere for a response to a crime. I love my criminal roleplayers who put actual effort and love into their roleplay. I hate getting into gunfights because it always feels like someone just trying to PK out of consequences.

Small map size is pain. There's no way around it. GTA 5 was not designed for 150-700 players and no AI. It was designed for one to twenty players, all of whom are expected to be fearless criminals, with thousands of AI to litter the streets. Not to mention that, while few people RP in the upper city, even fewer RP in the county. If you were to heat map the player concentration, South Central would light up like a Christmas tree, and Sandy/Grapeseed/Paleto would be icy.

Edited by Shagglehod
  • Upvote 1

Similar to how SD have mandatory hours in TTCF, PD members should have mandatory patrol hours in wealthy areas. 

You shouldn't patrol south central alone either. If you consider it a high crime rate area with homicide numbers in the dozens per month and you RP that being a fact, then there's no way you'd be sent to south central to patrol on your own. Before anyone says no one patrols south central alone, I've had cops respond to crimes around Davis alone, opening fire on active shooters before back up arrives.

In terms of response time, I can't fathom any realistic way to increase it. You can reduce police presence with the above suggestions but to force someone to delay their approach seems as unrealistic as quick response times. You'd also have people being reported for responding to crime scenes a second too quick.

Edited by Topiyo
  • Upvote 1

Are you telling me there's no hot spots where civilians hang out at outside of south Central? Sounds like they're afraid of being robbed because of the lack of policing!

I've seen SD sit idle at the table for hours because there's nothing going on in prison. Most of the role play found in prison is passive. While it is easier for them to be the initiators in role play when it comes to TTCF, I'm sure some bright minded members of PD could come up with solutions to increase policing in other areas and provide role play at the same time.

1 minute ago, Topiyo said:

Are you telling me there's no hot spots where civilians hang out at outside of south Central? Sounds like they're afraid of being robbed because of the lack of policing!

I've seen SD sit idle at the table for hours because there's nothing going on in prison. Most of the role play found in prison is passive. While it is easier for them to be the initiators in role play when it comes to TTCF, I'm sure some bright minded members of PD could come up with solutions to increase policing in other areas and provide role play at the same time.

This has been exactly the same on every server so far.

People went to Idlewood Pizza Stacks& the rest of that area on GTASA  / South Central on GTAW cause that's where most bangers are gonna be. 60-70% of crime happens there if not more.
There's hot spots for civilians in other places, but they're:
Inside doors

Places which have rather low crime rates

Places where the people don't want cops around either, or it'd be unrealistic for a cop to be for prolonged times (ULSA, the beach@the skate park where kids go, etc)

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic