Thoughts on police response times?

Yoshijira

I think this is one of few issues that can't really be helped without settling with unnecessary OOC restrictions and/or sinking either party's boat. I believe that as long as the roleplay that comes from both parties is of quality; there should be no issue.

Well, I don't see a good approach to this, because they also shouldn't sit back and wait to respond if they hear gunshots, that's super unrealistic on their part as well. Also keep in mind we can never fully compare ourselves to LA and south Central because, we aren't LA or South Central LA, we are Los Santos, a population of 600 that has crime rates that far exceed any other place in the world. So police presence, naturally due to the over-exaggerated crime rates, will skyrocket.

I go as far as to argue that certain groups should be stomped out sooner. As it currently stands PD doesn't want to end a faction that creates rolepaly for the community. But if they move super loud, they deserve to be stomped out. This point is less directed towards street gangs and more directed towards the mafia's and crime syndicates that are becoming more and more prevalent on the server.

Edited by Juicebox.
1 hour ago, Juicebox. said:

we are Los Santos, a population of 600 that has crime rates that far exceed any other place in the world. So police presence, naturally due to the over-exaggerated crime rates, will skyrocket.

wdym ls only has a population of 600

Edited by Garras Up

The map isn’t big enough to keep everybody far enough from each other. Los Santos is a pretty major city and is the main city of San Andreas and considering that it’s crime rate is pretty high, it would make sense to have police officers patrolling the streets responsibly and carefully. Cops also will sometimes patrol around areas that have the highest crime too to make sure nothing bad is going on. And when an officer calls for backup, they are going to get backup especially if there was a shooting involved.

Edited by tomatoz

At the end of the day there's no perfect solution. As someone who primarily RPs a criminal character, I've just come to accept that there's a multitude of factors that contribute to quick police response times ranging from the totally rational POV that they tend to patrol areas with higher crimerates and that the area of the map with the most factions also tends to be the smallest and the biggest part of the city tends to be the part that noone roleplays in; to further elaborate on this these so-called "mid to upper-class neighborhoods" are dead. Dead in the sense that barely anyone RPs in them, and the ones that do RP in them tend to be legal RPers that don't commit crimes, and the few illegal RPers are organized crime factions which are a lot of more subtle than streetgangs tend to be. The only way this could ever feasibly be fixed is if the server population was in the higher (like in the actual thousands) and the police were actually overwhelmed with criminal activity like the LAPD are in real life.

Just working with the assumption that the police can roll up on you by chance at any minute and not to linger around any crime scene you commit is the only way I've found to "play around" it, so to speak.

I can't really blame PD roleplayers for Rockstar's poorly designed map (in the sense it is criminally small and a lot of it is just wasted space) or for the fact that they can't just "ignore" crimes.

Unfortunately the suggestion of "lowering the crimerate" is about as insulting and nonsensical as "police should ignore crimes."

Edit: To further elaborate on the "mid to upper-class neighborhood" thing, I've seen people suggest that factions should spread out too but the only criminal factions that tend to be accepted in these areas are motorcycle clubs (even then that's a reach) and organized crime rings. There is no room for streetgangs, and when people do try and establish that kind of RP up there people tend to complain about it being "unrealistic".

People need to understand that Los Santos may be based on Los Angeles, but it is most certainly not a 1:1 when only 20% is actual city and the rest is countryside, rural towns, mountains, and water.

Also just another addendeum here: Los Angeles has a notorious traffic problem. It's also huge. This contributes to said response times, Los Santos does not have these issues because you will mostly have 700 people spread around a huge map and traffic is non-existant on the large roadways Los Santos has to simulate LA.

Edited by sio
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Juicebox. said:

The server has 600-700 players online at once during its peak times. 

That doesn't change anything, simply makes it more apparent. If I take a real-life example, the LAPD has a ratio of one officer for every 433 residents, total the LAPD having around 9000 to 10000 sworn employees, for the WHOLE area of Los Angeles, that is being services at least, with the ratio being used available on the official LAPD website as specified above, the employees serve around 3,897,000 residents, which is about right according to 2016 which recorded a total of 3,976,322 City of Los Angeles residents, which is very much higher then the average of 600 to 700 players that we get.

Continuing further, let's select an average area that is services by the Los Angeles Police Department, such as the Central Area. COMPSTAT unit estimating around 842,700 residents living in the Central Bureau under which are five areas of operations maintained by the LAPD with one of them being the Central area, with the name giving off that it's a centralized position. If we are generous and say that each area has the same amount of residents, we come up with 168,540 residents in the Central Area which is simply an estimate. Taking that number into account, each Area operated by the LAPD has a Patrol Division assigned under it, which three Watches; morning, afternoon, and night each with the length being eight hours, counting up to twenty-four-hour coverage. Under each watch is an unspecified amount of Patrols, unsure if it's called that IRL, depending on the Area. BUT, only one Patrol is always on shift assigned to a watch, according to state-wide and LAPD data, an average watch has around 15 officers assigned to it, with the number being lower or higher depending on the area of operations and mainly crime-rate. If we look at all of that information, it tells us that for the Central Area, 15 officers are serving 842,700 residents; giving us a ratio of one officer for every 11,236 residents.

If we were to apply the data shown above to the server, with city-wide data provided by the Los Angeles Police Department, we would require around two officers for the population of 700 people on the server, taking in the Central Area data, that number would drop to one, or if specific mathematically needed, 0.08899 officers. Currently, at the peak where around 700 people are on the server, we have anything between 20 to 40 LEOs online, meaning that the ratio of law enforcement to players if we say that the average for 700 people is 30 law enforcement, it's one officer per 23 players. Very far from city-wide data of one officer for every 433 residents and VERY far from our estimate of one officer for every 11,236 residents for the Central Area. 

Why did I put all of the information here you might ask? Simple, I want to put into perspective while our response time might be much quicker than the average of the LAPD which is around 5 minutes to emergencies and around 20 minutes to non-emergency times. Of course, they are MANY other factors to why our response time is quicker than IRL such as that we have two law enforcement agencies servicing the whole county and city, players responding to interesting calls and ignoring the ones that need paperwork done, patroling the active areas of the city, etc. Is there a feasible fix for both illegal and legal roleplayers? No, not at all, and I don't think that there will be a fix that will simply service both sides, and in my opinion, the best idea is to simply leave it as it is. 

To answer the argument that we, law enforcement roleplayers, should not respond to crimes as quickly as we do or that simply put doing crime is not feasible is simply a pretty large lie, at least in my opinion. If you want to commit a crime, such as killing somebody, you have to understand that doing it in the middle of the road isn't feasible and you are ASKING to get caught. I was involved in a situation the other day on Hawick, parked in a parking lot at the corner doing some passive roleplay before hearing shots in the area, get out to look around, and low and behold I see a person shooting at somebody in the middle of the road, so I approach and take him down. Was it my issue that I was on the corner and am too OVERPOWERED to do so? No, you got shot because you did it in a public place with a Sheriff's cruiser parked around the corner, that is your fault. To continue addressing this, people that do that still get away with it because of server population; what I mean is that you can shoot up somebody in the middle of a street around Vinewood and get away with it because no players were around the area, even though it was in a public area on a PUBLIC STREET, the only thing I want to say is to think like if an officer could literally at all times cut around the corner to catch you because that is a pretty realistic way to go about it, think about doing something and if there is a chance that you could be seen or get caught. 

If you see anything incorrect here, please do correct me.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic