Thoughts on police response times?

Yoshijira

2 hours ago, Yoshijira said:

However, an almost opposite thing occurs to higher upper class areas. Places such as Mirror Park, Rockford Hills and so forth will seldom EVER have police respond at the same rate that cops patrolling in South Central do.

It's almost as if GTAW's Los Santos is a place where 90% of homicides happen in the Davis area so the LSPD focuses more on it.

Your complaint has no solution. The response time is what the response time is ingame. You can't expect people to artificially pause. 

Edited by arandomgamer
1 hour ago, Westen said:

How can this be addressed though? The only two ways I can think of are adding an arbitrary amount of time before you're allowed to drive towards the location of a shots fired call, or tell people not to patrol in South Central. Neither are ideal.

The only reasonable way I could think of is to delay 911 calls showing up in Dispatch by say 1 minute, which would IC be explained by the fact that when someone calls 911 in real life it doesn't immediately get broadcasted to everyone.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, JeffMan3 said:

Just gonna mention the fact that this is supposed to be simulating LA, in LA you'd literally have a place swarming with cops in no less than a minute or two, especially around gang neighbourhoods, I really don't see an issue with it.

LAPD responded to about 109,000 emergencies with an average response time of around 5 minutes 40 seconds. 

edit: Something more recent. This is a quarterly metric, currently reflecting Q3 2020 data. Q3 2020 results indicate that the average response timewas 4 minutes and 45 seconds. This is well below the target of 5 minutes and 30 seconds.

Edited by eTaylor
2 hours ago, JackMiller07 said:

If anything, the only thing I can imagine is to have cops limited to certain areas whilst on patrol duty.

Like have X amount of X cruising down in Vespucci, X of X amount in Alta, and etc.

Have the numbers change depending how 'hot' an area can be by either limiting or expanding the maximum officers around in said area.

This would be extremely difficult to implement without direct developer support to track this information. The micromanagement would, simply put it be too much. Also, imagine being told you can only patrol in Little Seoul, or Vespucci. They're not exactly large areas and it would be limiting to the officers assigned.

Additionally off peak I don't think there's really enough units online at any one time to divide the districts up. Radio traffic would be really cluttered to call in every time I crossed a district border.

2 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

LAPD responded to about 109,000 emergencies with an average response time of around 5 minutes 40 seconds. 

edit: Something more recent. This is a quarterly metric, currently reflecting Q3 2020 data. Q3 2020 results indicate that the average response timewas 4 minutes and 45 seconds. This is well below the target of 5 minutes and 30 seconds.

Average response time is a very wide net. That means all of the priority, non-priority and life or death calls averaged to a combined total of 4:45. Presumably most 'life or death' calls would be below that average, units permitting.

Which is something that happens here too, we have issues during some shifts of not having enough resources for every situation which can delay responses. More often than not though if it is a priority call officers or supervisors will find some way to respond.

25 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

The problem is our crime rate is 100x higher. The only time they were similar was during the LA riots in the 90s and we all know how their response times were during that.

1 hour ago, Wisci said:

Average response time is a very wide net. That means all of the priority, non-priority and life or death calls averaged to a combined total of 4:45. Presumably most 'life or death' calls would be below that average, units permitting.

Which is something that happens here too, we have issues during some shifts of not having enough resources for every situation which can delay responses. More often than not though if it is a priority call officers or supervisors will find some way to respond.

1 hour ago, Sush said:

The problem is our crime rate is 100x higher. The only time they were similar was during the LA riots in the 90s and we all know how their response times were during that.

The argument was that the LSPD has a response time which isn’t favorable because they’re too fast. The impression is created that officers appear much like NCPD in Cyberpunk. An idea was to delay calls and responses because of that. This simply isn’t the case, nor is it something that’s done purposely. Response times vary significantly, but are by my eyeballed and unscientific estimation relatively the same to their real life counterpart in most cases. Whether it’s peak or graveyard hours a unit’s response time is typically determined by that unit’s proximity to said call. Some areas in-game have a statistically higher presence of police than others, also the type of call tends change an officers willingness to respond (a man standing on a bridge typically doesn’t attract a whole lot of enthusiasm). This is, according to my own theory, because certain areas simply have more action, fun and engagement than others. A patrol around Vinewood is very different from a patrol around South Central ect. I’m of the opinion that you should conduct your crime with the belief that a police officer can roll up any second, regardless of circumstances or time of day. These are basic risks you take.  

• Upvote 2
48 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I’m of the opinion that you should conduct your crime with the belief that a police officer can roll up any second, regardless of circumstances or time of day. These are basic risks you take.  

Sums it up. 

To the overall discussion.... there’s No need to delay response or modify it in any way OOC’ly. These complaints aren’t warranted.

Complaining about quick response times in high crime areas? Lol........

Edited by Sixty
43 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

A patrol around Vinewood is very different from a patrol around South Central ect. I’m of the opinion that you should conduct your crime with the belief that a police officer can roll up any second, regardless of circumstances or time of day. These are basic risks you take.  

Put as bluntly and as correctly as needed. Artificially changing anything will impact roleplay across the board for the negative.

My primary character is a police officer, and forcing us to only patrol a small section of the city would be incredibly boring. It would literally limit the roleplay I'd be able to participate in. I also like to passively roleplay with people in the city, If limited to driving in a circle It just feels like there wouldn't be a ton of reason to play we are all to roleplay afterall.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic