Thoughts on police response times?

Yoshijira

6 minutes ago, Westen said:

How can this be addressed though? The only two ways I can think of are adding an arbitrary amount of time before you're allowed to drive towards the location of a shots fired call, or tell people not to patrol in South Central. Neither are ideal.

If anything, the only thing I can imagine is to have cops limited to certain areas whilst on patrol duty.

Like have X amount of X cruising down in Vespucci, X of X amount in Alta, and etc.

Have the numbers change depending how 'hot' an area can be by either limiting or expanding the maximum officers around in said area.

19 minutes ago, BjornV said:

I've seen plenty scenes on Grove street where a body had been there for an hour.

People go to find roleplay. There is no fun in driving around rockford hills for 2 hours and not finding any police RP.

Besides, just like police responds quick, the criminal could get away just as quick. 

Of course, sometimes stuff like that just happens anywhere in the city. Do you think any crime would get reported or spotted by a patrol vehicle in areas like say, the alleys in La Mesa? Despite it being an industrial area where crime would be limited to white/blue collar criminals for the main part.

I'm just saying that it could be profitable for both legal and illegal RPers to have a certain amount of cops in certain areas. How many vehicles can be around in a certain area can be managed and handled internally within the LSPD / LSSD. Davis and Rancho seem to be the easy way to apprehend criminals and I've noticed it escalate where cops get so caught up with a single call from south central, and aren't able to respond to other calls within the rest of the city.

The police force on the server in my eyes can be portrayed as a single entity that moves at it's own free will. If we were to divide that one entity and have say, 10 entities scattered throughout the city districts, the law and order would be upheld with a generally smaller chance that people within one area will be left hanging because the majority of the police force already responded in another one.

It’s quite unrealistic as it is at the moment. I’ve seen number of cruisers camp corners and wait for shootouts/fights to happen, you are basically unable to do anything as illegal roleplayer. I’ve fired a single bullet a week ago in the air, within 5 seconds I’ve had 10 cops aiming at me already and a helicopter on top. Whereas I’ve had that scenario at the mechanic job place in a warehouse, we basically had a shootout between 3 factions, it was like world war 3 for a good 5 mins, cops rolled up 2 mins after the shots stopped. How can that be explained, it was also close to a police station..... where are all the cops in these areas and why I could get away with world war 3 shootout but not with a single bullet fired at Rancho.

Edited by Infinity

comparing irl response times is irrelevant when half of LS is like iraq at times. actions have consequences. encourage everyone around you to not be trigger happy and get in so many firefights over literally nothing. the more calm the cops think things are the less likely they are to patrol around and hound the area hoping something pops off so they can get in on some action. the main center of crime is in gang rp areas, obviously cops are gonna focus on being around there to do their jobs.

you're not going to get real police response times on an RP server unless you're RPing a civilian doing random shit cause they're focused on gang stuff since that's where the lspdfr action be at. a shooting usually has a response time of anywhere from like 30 minutes to an hour, sometimes far less but not that often(especially in LA), that's just not going to happen in a GTA RP server. cops have their role to fit into and gang rpers have theirs. there isn't an extremely high standard of rp or behavior set on either side IMO (but there's some good hidden in the bunch) which is the cause of half the clashing.

stop giving them a reason and they wont feel the need to patrol those areas so they can respond quickly to criminal activity.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, ????????? said:

comparing irl response times is irrelevant when half of LS is like iraq at times. actions have consequences. encourage everyone around you to not be trigger happy and get in so many firefights over literally nothing. the more calm the cops think things are the less likely they are to patrol around and hound the area hoping something pops off so they can get in on some action. the main center of crime is in gang rp areas, obviously cops are gonna focus on being around there to do their jobs.

you're not going to get real police response times on an RP server unless you're RPing a civilian doing random shit cause they're focused on gang stuff since that's where the lspdfr action be at. a shooting usually has a response time of anywhere from like 30 minutes to an hour, sometimes far less but not that often(especially in LA), that's just not going to happen in a GTA RP server. cops have their role to fit into and gang rpers have theirs. there isn't an extremely high standard of rp or behavior set on either side IMO (but there's some good hidden in the bunch) which is the cause of half the clashing.

stop giving them a reason and they wont feel the need to patrol those areas so they can respond quickly to criminal activity.

What you're suggesting there is gangs not being gangs, why do we roleplay in a gang therefore if we all could be one big community of club managers, legal citizens roleplayers?

Suppressing crime ICly and suppressive criminal roleplay by having quick response time to a point it gets unrealistic and immersion breaking, thus disallowing such acts to take place because the consequences are heavy, are two different things and the line should be drawn there. Once someone said it's not about policing the server, it's about providing quality police roleplay to the server and it's very true. We don't want cops and robbers type of feeling, we've all seen it happen on a certain SAMP server and it didn't end well. I don't know what exactly has to be done but something has to be done about that because at this pace it gets quite annoying and unrealistic.

Edited by Infinity
Just now, Infinity said:

What you're suggesting there is gangs not being gangs, why do we roleplay in a gang therefore if we all could be one big community of club managers, legal citizens roleplayers?

Suppressing crime ICly and suppressive criminal roleplay by having quick response time to a point it gets unrealistic and immersion breaking, thus disallowing such acts to take place because the consequences are heavy, are two different things and the line should be drawn there. Once someone said it's not about policing the server, it's about providing quality police roleplay to the server and it's very true. We don't want cops and robbers type of feeling, we've all seen it happen on a certain SAMP server and it didn't end well. I don't know what exactly has to be done but something has to be done about that because at this pace it gets quite annoying and unrealistic.

it has nothing to do with suppressing crime. gang rp isn't about "AY CUH U ON MY TURF NYIGAAAA" -GLACK GLACK- gang members dont just go around shooting and robbing and doing crime every single hour of the day. the rate of which crime happens has consequences. don't go around doing nothing but crime and then complain when the cops go around doing nothing but trying to stop it. that's their role and you have yours however you decide to portray it. there's a lot of people in the gang rp scene that ruin it for the rest of you guys by treating it like a cops and robbers server with trash rp and portrayal because they went on reddit and watched a bunch of videos of younger bangers acting a fool to look cool

gtaw's had the last several years since swapping to ragemp where gang and cop rp was just trash, although its starting to get a bit better, ik there's a lot of people that actually know what they're doing but the stigma of how much crime is actually happening is still there from the days where you could walk into the area and do nothing wrong and still get shot for nothing. just like gang rpers tell civilian rpers "its an ic thing deal with it ic" this is also an ic thing and you need to roleplay it the way it is. the gang areas are hounded, what does one do in a criminal environment when things are far too hot to actually commit crimes? stop commiting crimes in that area and go somewhere else where it's safer to commit a crime and get away with it. common sense. that would equate to the consequences of the cop RPers making it too difficult to do criminal acts in the hood, forcing criminals to find their marks elsewhere. complaining about it ooc gets nowhere. it's not something you can just go "HEY FUCKER STOP DOING THAT" and everyone stops. it's something the gang community has to fix ICly by slowing down the criminal activities in the areas. Gang RP isn't about going around doing crime. Your focus should be more on the gang and the politics of the gang life, hanging around doing random shit with the homies, just living. RP is playing a normal human being, not a video game gangsta gangsta 50 cent shootemup. 

the way it is right now is literally caused by y'alls own actions, deal with it accordingly, don't whine about it out of character. the police KNOW oocly /and/ icly that there's gonna be shit popping off left and right if they leave it unmonitored which is why they focus on that area. it's a problem when every single person on the server refers to these areas like warzones and physically avoids them out of fear of being shot over nothing. gang roleplayers created this reality and defended it on forums for ages. if you want it to change, ICly the communities have to come together and stop any problems, squash it with fist fights not nines. bring the heat down so you guys aren't held on a leash. if civilian rpers have to 'deal with it' when the crime is skyrocketing unrealistically, then so do gang rpers when the pressure from the police is skyrocketing unrealistically.

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1

You know it all really depends on so many factors. Availability of police, volume of emergency calls coming in, volume of back up requests, priority situations, where each police officer is located.

Also, it’s not as unrealistic as you think. Now, I speak on behalf of the NYPD in NYC. I once had to call the emergency hotline about a break in at a property. After the phone call, it took police about 1 minute to arrive. 8 officers ready to clear the property.

Response times vary. It’s also a game. There’s no way to fix this. Police won’t set a cruise control at 30 MPH just to arrive slower. Doesn’t make much sense. If you’re going to shoot someone in broad day then expect consequences is what I would say.

Edited by Saccs
  • Wuhtah locked this topic