Thoughts on police response times?

Yoshijira

As of right now, it simply feels ridiculous and straight up unrealistic, at least from the perspective of a South Central Gang RP'er, as to how quick PD responds. Go ahead and fire off a firearm within the heart of Davis, Rancho, Chamberlain or Vespucci. You'll almost certainly have seven cruisers, one helicopter and a dozen more units within five to ten seconds flat. And this isn't hyperbole, its legitimate personal experience. The average IRL Los Angeles South Central police response times range from a solid "8-30" minutes for reported violent crimes. While there are server and map limitations, yes, the absolute contrast between less than second seconds in game and more than ten minutes in real life is just unimmersive.

However, an almost opposite thing occurs to higher upper class areas. Places such as Mirror Park, Rockford Hills and so forth will seldom EVER have police respond at the same rate that cops patrolling in South Central do. The fact that it is somehow easier and legally safer for an illegal RP'er to commit crimes in middle to upper class areas than South Central is something that in my opinion should be addressed.

• Upvote 6
  • Applaud 1

This is unfortunately not something that can be changed due to the size of the map. We can't really hold people back in responding when they are just driving to the scene, unless you want OOC magical barriers in place. People already have to call it in over their radio, onto the computer aided dispatch and then drive there. 

If there are cruisers in the area, they'll be there within seconds just because of how small the map is. People patrol in areas more populated for obvious reasons. If I drive in Rockford or in the hills, there are barely people around but you'll always encounter players in the more centralized/southern area of the map. 

I understand cops responding quick to a scene. However, at this stage you stand a higher chance of getting away with a shootout in one of the richest areas in the city, than south central for example. When I see units being the first on scene, I usually see them responding all alone, and

rarely with backup.

The response times within places like Davis and Rancho are sometimes just too fast compared to Alta, Vinewood or even Vespucci.

I would like to see a more realistic approach as to how fast people respond to crimes within an area and with how many, rather than to have 20 units on a scene, 30 seconds of it popping off. Or have cops not even realize a crime happened until 2 hours after it happened somewhere in Alta.

10 minutes ago, Yoshijira said:

Los Angeles South Central police response times range from a solid "8-30" minutes for reported violent crimes.

Map sizes are mainly to blame here, but also the LAPD handles hundreds of calls in the South Central Area daily, I think, and they don't have the staffing to handle so many calls. They get there when they can. 30 minutes seems a bit exaggerated, I would like to see some data to back this up. However, for the LSPD we have somewhere close to 200 members and about 25-45 people online at peak. Most of those are near the South Central Area (mainly due to MRS, but also due to assignments in the area). Also, with the high crime rate in South Central, cops tend to flock there.

13 minutes ago, Yoshijira said:

However, an almost opposite thing occurs to higher upper class areas. Places such as Mirror Park, Rockford Hills and so forth will seldom EVER have police respond at the same rate that cops patrolling in South Central do.

Yeah, this is sort of true. From what I've seen people do tend to take South Central calls over the ones in Rockford, Mirror Park, etc. However, if the call is something high priority like a shooting, units will respond. Supervisors also take initiative and send officers to places if a 911 goes unanswered. At the end of the day, South Central has a higher crime rate which means more cops. I do think the other areas could do with a few more cops though.

6 minutes ago, JackMiller07 said:

I understand cops responding quick to a scene. However, at this stage you stand a higher chance of getting away with a shootout in one of the richest areas in the city, than south central for example. When I see units being the first on scene, I usually see them responding all alone, and

rarely with backup.

The response times within places like Davis and Rancho are sometimes just too fast compared to Alta, Vinewood or even Vespucci.

I would like to see a more realistic approach as to how fast people respond to crimes within an area and with how many, rather than to have 20 units on a scene, 30 seconds of it popping off. Or have cops not even realize a crime happened until 2 hours after it happened somewhere in Alta.

I've seen plenty scenes on Grove street where a body had been there for an hour.

People go to find roleplay. There is no fun in driving around rockford hills for 2 hours and not finding any police RP.

Besides, just like police responds quick, the criminal could get away just as quick. 

ofc it's unrealistic lmfao. we live in a 'huge' city with a population avg of 600, of course the response times r gonna be unrealistic. not much we can do unless ur gonna want all PD players to afk for 2 mins before responding to a 911 call/hearing shots (which is as stupid as it sounds lol.)

Edited by joshua
9 minutes ago, Bauer said:

Map sizes are mainly to blame here, but also the LAPD handles hundreds of calls in the South Central Area daily, I think, and they don't have the staffing to handle so many calls. They get there when they can. 30 minutes seems a bit exaggerated, I would like to see some data to back this up. However, for the LSPD we have somewhere close to 200 members and about 25-45 people online at peak. Most of those are near the South Central Area (mainly due to MRS, but also due to assignments in the area). Also, with the high crime rate in South Central, cops tend to flock there.

Yeah, this is sort of true. From what I've seen people do tend to take South Central calls over the ones in Rockford, Mirror Park, etc. However, if the call is something high priority like a shooting, units will respond. Supervisors also take initiative and send officers to places if a 911 goes unanswered. At the end of the day, South Central has a higher crime rate which means more cops. I do think the other areas could do with a few more cops though.

There are a decent amount of cases and complaints being made by denizens of a given area for cops taking an upwards of thirty minutes after a murder/armed robbery/attempted murder was reported.

9 minutes ago, BjornV said:

I've seen plenty scenes on Grove street where a body had been there for an hour.

People go to find roleplay. There is no fun in driving around rockford hills for 2 hours and not finding any police RP.

Besides, just like police responds quick, the criminal could get away just as quick. 

Getting away quickly is not a possibility when there are quite literally seven cruisers and a ghetto bird on your tail after five seconds plus. The point is that the quick police response times and heavy police presence is not only

A. Borderline unrealistic.

B. Actively repressing and stamping out forms of illegal RP.

I have no issue with LEO RP, quite the opposite really. I thoroughly enjoy the interactions my char has with gang enforcement and the LSPD, but RP should not suppress the potentiality of other forms of RP.

Just now, Yoshijira said:

There are a decent amount of cases and complaints being made by denizens of a given area for cops taking an upwards of thirty minutes after a murder/armed robbery/attempted murder was reported.

And I imagine that that's during graveyard hours or after/during a situation occupying a lot of police officers.

I can drive from ULSA to the heart of South Central in about two minutes.

There's always going to be one police officer around South Central if not severeral.

If shots are fired, said police officers are going to hear it. They'll call it in, and officers will respond.

At any given time, if an officer reports something, they'll get backup sooner than a 911 call will get answered. Officers will tend to their own first.

If a robbery has been reported, the danger has likely already passed. Officers will be responding to take a crime report rather than to catch someone in the act. If a call comes in: "Active shots in X area", officers will respond to it much sooner than a call saying: "I got robbed 5 minutes ago".

• Wuhtah locked this topic