Ruling on LEO DASHCAMS + Possible ruling on personal dashcams

Kappaurel

2 minutes ago, Kappaurel said:

And this is an OOC matter. There are cops confused about this, and they give bad information to other players in general. Some other cops may abuse this too. 

How do I know if the second cop I ask is giving me truth information? Do I need to keep talking to higher rank ups? When do I stop?

Staff has also made rulings on stuff like PF License Abuse (Rule 13), that could be controlled ICly.

That's just not feasible, or logical. 

Can you condense your question into one sentence?

Just now, eTaylor said:

Can you condense your question into one sentence?

The questions about dashcams are many, all of them posted at the beginning of this topic, but I can repeat them for you.

• When do the dashcams start and stop recording? Do they record all the time? Only when the sirens on? Do they record a short span before turning on the sirens/strobes? Do they also record a short span AFTER turning off the sirens/strobes?

• Do they always record audio and video together (before, during, after the strobes/sirens...), or sometimes just video? 

• Where are the microphones that record audio? Do they only record inside audio? Outside audio? Inside audio and outside audio in a short range?

• Is this the same for BOTH LSPD and LSSD?

So the solution is to go OOC and attempt to get information which can be obtained IC through various avenues like the courts and police departments themselves?

Brand pens write differently. Different brand dash-cams function differently. 

Edited by Flemwad
14 minutes ago, Kappaurel said:

When do the dashcams start and stop recording? Do they record all the time? Only when the sirens on? Do they record a short span before turning on the sirens/strobes? Do they also record a short span AFTER turning off the sirens/strobes?

This is dependent on the system each department has chosen to roleplay, and which configuration they roleplay. The most common setup has always been that the dashcam always records video, which is remotely uploaded to the cloud and as such remotely accessible. Audio is recorded as well using either an on-board microphone or a worn microphone. Audio is typically recorded when the beacons are activated. The audio records the 30-60 seconds prior to activation, the time between, and 30-60 seconds after deactivation.

Do they always record audio and video together (before, during, after the strobes/sirens...), or sometimes just video? 

Depends on the system, logically one would include the consideration that this is a government agency and that government agencies are notorious for cutting cost inefficiently, and most departments short on data storage budgets. 

Where are the microphones that record audio? Do they only record inside audio? Outside audio? Inside audio and outside audio in a short range?

Microphones can be and are typically worn devices, but can be embedded in the vehicle as well. The range of a microphone is not a specifically hard border. It can be anything from a few yards to a mile or beyond. Depends on the sound and the quality retention. 

Is this the same for BOTH LSPD and LSSD?

These are two different departments, both based on massive agencies who themselves use different systems simultaneously. Logic would dictate that both bodies of leadership over the LSSD and LSPD have or will have chosen their preferred system and configuration. 

Ultimatley this is an in character question, that can be answered in character by the bodies responsible. 

Edited by eTaylor

Without reading all the replies.

There's a detailed explanation in the LSPD manual about the dashcam (or Digital In-Car Video System as the manual calls it) such as recording duration, failsafe systems, automatic/manual saving et cetera. Meaning there shouldn't be any confusion there. There are still some unclarities such as where audio is recorded though. Details about audio recording (where, when) are also in the manual.

As for civilian dashcams, I RP'd buying and installing a very specific model in my car, screenshotted with a vstats and timestamp to avoid issues. If you Google this very specific model dashcam, you can find every single detail about how it works. Very simple.

Edited by LennyBE
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 9:00 PM, LennyBE said:

Without reading all the replies.

There's a detailed explanation in the LSPD manual about the dashcam (or Digital In-Car Video System as the manual calls it) such as recording duration, failsafe systems, automatic/manual saving et cetera. Meaning there shouldn't be any confusion there. There are still some unclarities such as where audio is recorded though. Details about audio recording (where, when) are also in the manual.

As for civilian dashcams, I RP'd buying and installing a very specific model in my car, screenshotted with a vstats and timestamp to avoid issues. If you Google this very specific model dashcam, you can find every single detail about how it works. Very simple.

• 2 years later...

Law enforcement dashcams have their information written in their respective manuals, both departments have different policies on them. I cannot find the case, but I did rule once that if there is no video footage and the player is OOCly contesting the dashcam footage and the LEO is unable to disprove those contests, the dashcam footage must be roleplayed as a no-employee fault and scrapped from the legal record. This is still the case.

As for personal dashcams, you simply need to have a camera item within the vehicle, or a dash-cam item. The same as above applies.

LEOs hold weight of statement in-character only, dash-cam roleplay is purely out-of-character and an player that plays a cop will never have their word taken at more value than another player when it's out-of-character.