Ruling on LEO DASHCAMS + Possible ruling on personal dashcams

Kappaurel

Enough is enough with this matter, in my humble opinion.

When it comes to court cases, that's a conflict that happens WAY TOO MANY TIMES: "Did the dashcam of the car record this? Did it only record video without audio? Did it record audio too?"

Questions I think that need to be answered, about LEO dashcams and posted somewhere well public so there is no more conflict and abuse about this (sometimes it is abused on purpose, sometimes by mistake) are the following:

• When do the dashcams start and stop recording? Do they record all the time? Only when the sirens on? Do they record a short span before turning on the sirens/strobes? Do they also record a short span AFTER turning off the sirens/strobes?
  • Do they always record audio and video together (before, during, after the strobes/sirens...), or sometimes just video? 
  • Where are the microphones that record audio? Do they only record inside audio? Outside audio? Inside audio and outside audio in a short range?
  • Is this the same for BOTH LSPD and LSSD?

This should be included in the rules, "21) Vehicle Dashcams"

And other things could be included in this section maybe, clarifications about the use of dashcams in personal vehicles, if you can roleplay installing them / having someone install them and use the footage (as long as you actually recorded it with Shadowplay / whatever)

BUT MAINLY, CLARIFY THE USE OF LEO DASHCAMS, THANK YOU.

Pinging @HaveADream as the LFM responsible

If it is needed, I'm even open to dig deep in the discord servers I am, and in court cases I have handled, to remark and show how much we need this ruling.

Edited by Kappaurel

It would depend on the manufacture of the dash-cam. This is also not something the general public usually knows. In the PD it’s clarified in our manual. I think it should be based off actual manufacturers specifications. 

Many police dash-cam’s have video of 24 hours saved to the hard drive of the camera regardless of activated or not. I would imagine this is based on the camera we roleplay having. I only know about Watchguard specifically which is not what LSPD role plays as having. 

Edited by Flemwad

There is no one rule fits all.

Not every dashcam is created equally. 

A high-tier security company which earns a lot of money might have 24/7 recording of video+audio as long as the engine is running, and store said footage for months.

A police agency might do something else because of budget and store only for a limited time because of the sheer size of their fleet.

And a civilian dashcam might be different again, saving only on a physical hard drive instead of online storage.

Edited by BjornV
2 minutes ago, Flemwad said:

It would depend on the manufacture of the dash-cam. This is also not something the general public usually knows. In the PD it’s clarified in our manual. I think it should be based off actual manufacturers specifications. 

Many police dash-cam’s have video of 24 hours saved to the hard drive of the camera regardless of activated or not. I would imagine this is based on the camera we roleplay having. I only know about Watchguard specifically which is not what LSPD role plays as having. 

I know it's in your manual, but I want it made public. There is no way people can abuse this knowledge, other than to protect themselves from people with evil intent abusing the little knowledge we have about it.

Just now, BjornV said:

There is no one rule fits all.

Not every dashcam is created equally. 

A high-tier security company which earns a lot of money might have 24/7 recording of video+audio as long as the engine is running, and store said footage for months.

A police agency might do something else because of budget and store only for a limited time because of the sheer size of their fleet.

And a civilian dashcam might be different again, saving only on a physical hard drive instead of online storage.

There is a rule that fits all the cameras of LSPD vehicles, as it's stated in your manual.

The ruling about civilian dashcams and other dashcams is nothing but a possible side benefit from this suggestion. The main part is to make public the specifics of LEO dashcams

1 minute ago, Kappaurel said:

I know it's in your manual, but I want it made public. There is no way people can abuse this knowledge, other than to protect themselves from people with evil intent abusing the little knowledge we have about it.

It wouldn't be public knowledge ICly. Do you know out of the top of your head how long the LSPD dashcam stores footage? If you want this publicized (OR any other section of the manual), you can always attempt this through IC means here: https://lspd.gta.world/viewforum.php?f=708

1 minute ago, Kappaurel said:

There is a rule that fits all the cameras of LSPD vehicles, as it's stated in your manual.

The ruling about civilian dashcams and other dashcams is nothing but a possible side benefit from this suggestion. The main part is to make public the specifics of LEO dashcams

That's a rule for LSPD. 1 faction. Not the entire server.

Go look it up on the manufacturer specifications by obtaining or figuring out what camera we use. I mean this could all be addressed and figured out IC or by a subpoena from the courts. 

PD’a don’t often label exactly how their cameras operate to the public unless specifically requested or through a FOIA request. 

5 minutes ago, BjornV said:

It wouldn't be public knowledge ICly. Do you know out of the top of your head how long the LSPD dashcam stores footage? If you want this publicized (OR any other section of the manual), you can always attempt this through IC means here: https://lspd.gta.world/viewforum.php?f=708

I don't want to know it IC. I want to know it OOC to make sure the evidence given is acceptable and not cop-abused, as simple as that. And I have seen, in the many months I have on my record as attorney, and ADA now, many cops saying different things.

I literally see no reason why someone would be against making this information public to stop possible confusion and/or intended abuse, well, I can think of ONE reason for people to be interested in others not knowing anything about it.

5 minutes ago, BjornV said:

That's a rule for LSPD. 1 faction. Not the entire server

That's what staff is for, to rule for the whole server. 

LFM can tell us about LSPD & LSSD

And in general, Management or whoever is in charge of it, can make a ruling, it can be: "Yes you can roleplay whatever with your personal dashcam" or "Your dashcam will only record as long as the engine is on" or "You will have to manually roleplay turning on your camera each time" or "No, you can't roleplay a dashcam even if you have OOC video"

Edited by Kappaurel
Just now, Kappaurel said:

I don't want to know it IC. I want to know it OOC to make sure the evidence given is acceptable and not cop-abused, as simple as that. And I have seen, in the many months I have on my record as attorney, and ADA now, many cops saying different things.

That's what staff is for, to rule for the whole server. 

LFM can tell us about LSPD & LSSD

And in general, Management or whoever is in charge of it, can make a ruling, it can be: "Yes you can roleplay whatever with your personal dashcam" or "Your dashcam will only record as long as the engine is on" or "You will have to manually roleplay turning on your camera each time" or "No, you can't roleplay a dashcam even if you have OOC video"

Staff is here to rule on OOC issues&matters.

This is not an OOC thing. Different departments have different needs.

If you have many cops saying different things, try going to higher ranking cops. The word of a police officer is not as trustworthy as the word of a member of:
Risk management (They make the manual)
Legal Affairs

Internal Affairs

Command (Captain/Commander)

Staff (Deputy chief/assistant chief/chief

1 minute ago, BjornV said:

Staff is here to rule on OOC issues&matters.

This is not an OOC thing. Different departments have different needs.

If you have many cops saying different things, try going to higher ranking cops. The word of a police officer is not as trustworthy as the word of a member of:
Risk management (They make the manual)
Legal Affairs

Internal Affairs

Command (Captain/Commander)

Staff (Deputy chief/assistant chief/chief

And this is an OOC matter. There are cops confused about this, and they give bad information to other players in general. Some other cops may abuse this too. 

How do I know if the second cop I ask is giving me truth information? Do I need to keep talking to higher rank ups? When do I stop?

Staff has also made rulings on stuff like PF License Abuse (Rule 13), that could be controlled ICly.

That's just not feasible, or logical.