What is your perspective on political roleplay?

cxn

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest problem I see with political RP is certain players & staff not allowing IC to remain IC when a decision makes perfect sense.

If a political decision is realistic for US politics in today’s world then IC democracy and the legislative process should be allowed.

That should be true for weed legalisation, gun laws, abortion laws, taxation levels, death penalty etc.

OOC decisions should not overrule IC ones unless there are large RPQ / portrayal issues.

Just using the weed argument as an example, anyone who even has a clue about California and weed would know that the illegal market for weed still flourishes because the black market can produce and sell weed far cheaper than the heavily taxed legal option. It also turns out that RL crime still happens in California and didn’t stop the day weed was legalised.

All that has to happen here is LFM tax every gram of weed to a level you can’t buy it legally for less than say $1,000 a gram and illegals would still have plenty of customers because people would still rush to the black market to buy it for a fraction of the price.

Instead of working to find such solutions, OOC has been allowed to govern IC decisions poorly and so we find ourselves stuck in an outdated and old political landscape that is absolutely no fault of those players trying to portray politicians and their RP restricted entirely unnecessarily.

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Angela said:

Elections are fun, yes. They are a good show and create roleplay with events and to the media talking about them. But after the election, nothing really happens.

We might have a PR problems but a lot goes on with both the political parties and the legislature. Last year following the city council elections? Yeah. It was mostly OOC until December. But as you can see from here and even if you go under the Senate forum section you can see a lot goes on, it's just hard to see it as an outsider since the only thing that you can attend are public committees and they're fairly boring for the average person. 

We'll probably try to start posting more on our faction threads.

Political role-play will always be inherently tied to the server's legal faction management body & server management as a whole because certain aspects becomes OOC matters very quick. For example, how liberal you want to be with gun ownership & use is certainly one of them since having readily available guns makes a whole lot of people more susceptible to questionable use of it up to and including deathmatch, and that trumps how pro-gun a character gets.

Most importantly, staff intervention is often needed to keep the system running: there's the other side of the marble that no one likes to admit to when it comes to political role-play — it has to potential to crash every time you may have a much lesser role-player to portray a councilman, senator, or what have you. This results in the system being lax on those who role-play it well and don't overstep & constricted on those who go head-on with things that just won't fly because it'd be in the detriment of the server in the eyes of the server's administration.

The system enjoys periods of being pretty liberal to the people involved (I feel it has been with myself, Eriks, Vrb, Hugi, Jola and who were in it the first time around.) for as long as those people seem like they know what they're doing & won't go ballistic on things that will realistically never ever happen because it'd be in the detriment of the server (e.g. you will never defund the police department because it has an OOC intention to function & pay its members for their online hours; and nobody pushes the issue as much; e.g. 2) you will never have a plethora of firearms readily available for legal use with little to no oversight because people DMing > any role-play that comes out of those guns being readily available; e.g. 3) the weed argument — it would indeed cripple illegal role-play if it went legal; it's actually decriminalized right now).

You'll experience more staff intervention if you try to push more controversial agendas on an IC basis. There's a line that isn't (read: shouldn't) be crossed. The easiest one I can think of right now is police oversight. Whilst police oversight & the police is more often than not under heavy scrutiny in real life, we can only do so much to actually have that here. We role-play it to a lesser extent, the factions themselves have a duty to realistically portray themselves accurately, but those who role-play politics can't start stepping on faction leaders' and faction members' toes about what they do and how they do it. Why? It's not our lane. We're just here to role-play political figureheads.

As any other facet of legal role-play, you just play the OOC politics behind it. It's really fun tho. I've had two characters involved so far and a whole lot more that weren't directly involved but piggybacked off of it. It's pretty rewarding if you've got the time & drive for it. It's the perfect place for seedy characters.

Make no mistake that elections are indeed OOC popularity contests. I've been directly apart of a few & even the most recent election here. A bunch of people just don't take it IC as much and vote for characters. They vote their friends, their real life political affiliation, or who they think is the better role-player between who's on the ballot. It's dead to rights a popularity contest that can easily be manipulated if you're appealing enough.

Edited by liq
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, arkan said:

it just sucks.

Never really see any changes that reflect the server in it's entirety. Which you would expect a Government Faction to be able to do, I've seen Mayors in GMOD DarkRP influence a server more than the GOV Faction here, that could be due to my ignorance of legal roleplay as a whole but what has Gov generally changed/done?

Also, I'd be interested to see the statistics of the votes that happen, 'cos I'm under the impression it's very little which in itself would show how much people care about this type of roleplay.

13 minutes ago, Oaks. said:

Never really see any changes that reflect the server in it's entirety. Which you would expect a Government Faction to be able to do, I've seen Mayors in GMOD DarkRP influence a server more than the GOV Faction here, that could be due to my ignorance of legal roleplay as a whole but what has Gov generally changed/done?

They tried to legalize marijuana, but staff vetoed that over concerns about the illegal market, of all things - never mind how a governor's veto actually works.

They also keep rebooting the business licensing nobody asked for.

They're trying to create a department of education. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

So far as I can parse from the state senate, there's next to nothing that will impact 99% of the player base. It feels more like GOV is just there to launder the ideas staff has so they can turn around and claim the server is player driven - or to scratch someone's itch to craft fantasy legal documents without having to consider how it'll impact the server.

48 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

They tried to legalize marijuana, but staff vetoed that over concerns about the illegal market, of all things - never mind how a governor's veto actually works.

They also keep rebooting the business licensing nobody asked for.

They're trying to create a department of education. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

So far as I can parse from the state senate, there's next to nothing that will impact 99% of the player base. It feels more like GOV is just there to launder the ideas staff has so they can turn around and claim the server is player driven - or to scratch someone's itch to craft fantasy legal documents without having to consider how it'll impact the server.

Similar answer I thought I'd get, shame really because Gov is capable of a lot of good things IF allowed to impact players.

• Wuhtah locked this topic