What is your perspective on political roleplay?

cxn

6 hours ago, Koko said:

This is also a major issue. Since I started playing in 2018, there have been countless iterations of the political system lasting 3 months, crumbling to the ground, rinse and repeat. I think there needs to be some sort of system in place that works as a fail-safe if players are going to run for positions of relative power. One way would be to have a pre-prepared cabinet of admin/"trusted" characters that could step in and take over to pick up the pieces with a plan for whatever political character that a) disappears b) chimps out royally and messes up beyond repair.

We had the whole Oswald fiasco and since then City Hall has just been quiet as far as the public is concerned and it's all just moved a step up onto the Senate, which is still a pretty small circle and I think more attempts have to be made so that people understand who the players there are. I understand the need to be informed citizens politically, but right now I do think it would help to have a sort of OOC tree of who's who and who's where and what offices are active, since depending on your timezone you might never come across some of our politicians.

There's a lack of trust towards political RP because some of us have already seen it crash and burn several times.

This comment summarizes my opinion on Political Roleplay, Management needs to not interfere with IC law making unless there's foul play like in Oswalds case was.

5 hours ago, Eriks said:

Less out of character management over legal affairs, more in character management - that philosophy underpins a competent political roleplay system.

The main challenge of political roleplay is retaining a small pool of players that are motivated, knowledgeable about government, and friendly with LFM. This niche genre of roleplay takes work and grit, and it’s not always a rewarding experience. It can become extremely demotivating, especially when OOC and IC blend so much.

Moreover, this comment:

4 hours ago, knppel said:

My first thought when hearing of the weed topic first ic on gtaw: "oh shit here we go again".

My reflection after the thing got vetoed:

This, here, actually makes sense. From an ooc perspective, the legal sector offers tons of variation in jobs and enterprises (up to playing a senator or corrupt mayor, d'oh, not legal anymore, anyway;) ).

Marijuana, on the other hand, is the most demanded product on the illegal sector- for the simple reason it's a considerably harmless drug so same as irl a lot of people consume it regardless of it being illegal.

The same can be said of other drugs, yes, but in our nutshell society/economy you'll easily notice that when pushing coke or pills or hard stuff, you'll not have as easy a time finding customers for the simple reason that consuming hard drugs doesn't fit in every character concept, so people do what they'd do irl and deny such stuff.

And this of course, and in addition:

If the intention to veto it only got clear that very last moment, please more guidelines and communication on what's expected from characters in such responsible positions to prevent such situations.

Barely anything's more frustrating than to build up structures intended for a mid or long term run to then be shut down or pushed back over something that came unexpected (to me as observer it looked like the weed bill would simply pass for quite some time, and I just kept up to date on public sources on the forum on this matter, so it was not like secretly planned in smokey backrooms ingame only lol).

I do not agree, IRL, states like Washington legalized weed, without care for drug-dealers loosing money there. Lets be honest, those drug dealers adapted, a drug dealer in essence is a hustler, they find ways to make money.

As long as we have too much OOC interference just cause "It'll destroy the drug market", I ask, WHAT market? There is none. Most if not all dealers prefer to scam or rob the client instead of actually delivering product. Telling me to find better Plug as a supplier, yea', considering that it won't be realistic for my character to go to areas of city where you might find one I think it's self explanatory why there's no market, at least real market.

So yes, this was Vetoed by Management is why I do not believe or really want to consider Politics as something that will be self-operating like PD/SD/FD are to a degree they operate without intervention from Management. I shan't remind you all another community where Management demanded a step down of a Police Chief who "sat too long" on the position (where most officers were okay with him at the helm!), was removed by force, almost entire high-command left their positions and perhaps the server too.

Management needs to intervene when there's clear rule breaking, not when politic characters try to change something and it gets vetoed just cause of OOC basis.

1 hour ago, Vash Baldeus said:

-snip-

I think you're buying your drugs from the wrong people if you keep getting killed and robbed.

I don't really think it's a good idea to turn this post into the veto of the marijuana legislation, it was done for good reasons and nobody inside the senate really objects to it. There's so much more we could discuss and moving forward we, in the senate, realise the kind of things we need to get clarified prior to submitting for debate, for me that closes the issue. I'd rather talk about other concerns and issues 🙂

1 hour ago, Vash Baldeus said:

As long as we have too much OOC interference just cause "It'll destroy the drug market", I ask, WHAT market? There is none.

That's why I sold amounts that you wouldn't even imagine in the past four days, because we don't have a market. This topic isn't just about marijuana veto, things like legalization of marijuana, RICO, KINGPIN, those legislations needs to go through illegal FM OOCly. Why? Because what if we implement for example, RICO, that will allow DA's Office and Courts to seize million dollars penthouses if people don't want that? Big decisions always require help from faction and server management, weather you like it or not.

Politics just feel irrelevant and insignificant. A bunch of names you see passing Facebrowser or in-game ads. It’s a nice there’s something for people who want to roleplay that, I just wish it had more impact. I remember when elections were running and everyone was being bombarded with campaign ads and news. It was the first time

the system was kind of interesting. Mostly because the government would (or was) suppose to become a real tangible thing. I don’t remember who won Blaine County, I think it was some

Indian character, and everyone declared that the worst was to come for the local community. Except nothing ever happened, it just disappeared as soon as it appeared. Kind of disappointing. 

2 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Politics just feel irrelevant and insignificant. A bunch of names you see passing Facebrowser or in-game ads. It’s a nice there’s something for people who want to roleplay that, I just wish it had more impact. I remember when elections were running and everyone was being bombarded with campaign ads and news. It was the first time

the system was kind of interesting. Mostly because the government would (or was) suppose to become a real tangible thing. I don’t remember who won Blaine County, I think it was some

Indian character, and everyone declared that the worst was to come for the local community. Except nothing ever happened, it just disappeared as soon as it appeared. Kind of disappointing. 

It was actually @vrbwho's done quite a lot of good work in the county, they even have a Discord full of county roleplayers that that discuss ooc issues facing the county and host events as far as I know.

I agree that district-local politics didn't really have the influence, outside of that case, which is why the system reverted to a Party List. This was mostly because, well, nobody really engaged with district-level politics.

Edited by HaveADream
Just now, HaveADream said:

It was actually @vrbwho's done quite a lot of good work in the county, they even have a Discord full of county roleplayers that that discuss ooc issues facing the county and host events as far as I know.

It wasn’t. It’s nice that people have a discord with OOC discussions but that’s not roleplay. Outside of that it’s not tangible. That’s what I mean with having more impact l. In the real world politics effect your life, even in ways you won’t necessarily notice. But that’s not the case, it’s irrelevant unless you’re part of it. And that’s speaking for me and anyone around me. 

8 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

It wasn’t. It’s nice that people have a discord with OOC discussions but that’s not roleplay. Outside of that it’s not tangible. That’s what I mean with having more impact l. In the real world politics effect your life, even in ways you won’t necessarily notice. But that’s not the case, it’s irrelevant unless you’re part of it. And that’s speaking for me and anyone around me. 

I think the best way to make politics more relevant is engaging with it. For instance, there was a Q&A last night in which some people petitioned a state senator to push for a namechange of TTCF due to the connation to the 9/11 attacks, financial support for people roleplaying veterans and pushing folks roleplaying energy companies (Aurum Energy) to move towards green energy which will allow for RP at the wind farm and so on, a candidate was in Little Seoul campaigning tonight, there's an event planned tomorrow from what I know, too. in the past month open-carry was legalised in the county and hate crimes are about to be legislated on. Security firms are about to face tougher IC measures including regulation/stricter GC approvals as a result of the shooting at Fantasia Hall. Outside of the senate a bid was offered to construct a flight school in Blaine County to provide small-load flights and air lessons and the Port of Los Santos is functioning to provide quality blue-collar roleplay, Maybe it's less of 'this has no impact' and more 'this isn't being marketed enough.'

Edited by HaveADream
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, HaveADream said:

I think the best way to make politics more relevant is engaging with it. For instance, there was a Q&A last night in which some people petitioned a state senator to push for a namechange of TTCF due to the connation to the 9/11 attacks, financial support for people roleplaying veterans and pushing folks roleplaying energy companies (Aurum Energy) to move towards green energy which will allow for RP at the wind farm and so on, a candidate was in Little Seoul campaigning tonight, there's an event planned tomorrow from what I know, too. in the past month open-carry was legalised in the county and hate crimes are about to be legislated on. Security firms are about to face tougher IC measures including regulation/stricter GC approvals as a result of the shooting at Fantasia Hall. Maybe it's less of 'this has no impact' and more 'this isn't being marketed enough.'

Which is synonymous if you ask me. All of these things serves only the people who are part of it, it doesn’t mean or do anything for anyone else. 

4 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Which is synonymous if you ask me. All of these things serves only the people who are part of it, it doesn’t mean or do anything for anyone else. 

In my eyes at least, everyone takes a different approach to politics and how they do things. But the key is be the change you want to see. Run for office, try get those changes which will impact everyone. Rn at least speaking as someone decently high up in city gov, there's a lot of things happening and the public get a chance to see it.

11 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

????????????????????????????????????????????????

One example, open carry in the county serves everyone in the county. RICO will serve everyone, and it's on its way. The fuck? Bro, go out of the hood one time, support someone who runs for the senate from your neighborhood, check their roleplay. If it doesn't serve you directly, it doesn't mean it's not serving anyone lol. They are there for you, ICly, for everyone for your district, of course it serves and impacts people from your district, and all over the server. 

Edited by .Pluto.
  • Wuhtah locked this topic