What is your perspective on political roleplay?

cxn

I personally think that political roleplay should always be tailored to the game we play. That means, making laws on things that matter and within reason. Take into effect GTA physics and the likes. This is a very general statement but I believe it should be taken as a premise whenever legislatures draft bills.

Less out of character management over legal affairs, more in character management - that philosophy underpins a competent political roleplay system.

The main challenge of political roleplay is retaining a small pool of players that are motivated, knowledgeable about government, and friendly with LFM. This niche genre of roleplay takes work and grit, and it’s not always a rewarding experience. It can become extremely demotivating, especially when OOC and IC blend so much.

Edited by Eriks
  • Applaud 3

I actually have a ton of faith in the political RP scene on the server. I'll admit I was pretty skeptical when it was first announced and like others I assumed they'd just go inactive after a few months. But from what I can see? They've done and continue to do a great job. My biggest concern going into the elections over the summer is that these characters would just become forum characters rarely ever seen IG but I'm glad to say I constantly see politicians mulling around at different high end restaurants and businesses, engaging with the community as a politician would. 

I don't believe the political RP scene on this server is going to collapse anytime soon, but it's going to take awhile to get every facet working and active on it's own. 

I'm unfortunately inclined to agree with certain people who have already posted here previously. Political roleplay is extremely interesting and I was hoping that we would've learned from LSRP and the mistakes they made there. I was super excited to see how things were going to play out on this server that advocates hardcore roleplay. Until an unelected official veto'd a law that would've been super fun to see unfold. Forcing the opposition to actually start caring about politics too instead of ignoring its existence. The OOC interference with these kind of things make it really dull for me and not even fun to follow as an outsider. I've seen staff say it might be a one off thing. But to me personally, it's already one too many. It just sets a really bad precedent and is a huge turn off.

I do hope that in the future this'll be rectified and they'll be given the same freedom to roleplay that you'd expect any other player to get within the boundaries of the server rules. I respect the political roleplayers who sticked around despite the veto, that's dedication right there. I hope it'll be worth it in the long run. This community deserves it.

Edited by Martyn
  • Upvote 2

i think it's lame that people were allowed to invest huge amounts of time in writing and roleplaying around this issue, only for it to be vetoed OOC - if the intention was always to veto, let people know before they waste their time.

staff interference will drag this scene the way of lsrp's, where you can legislate anything as long as it doesn't actually matter.

• Upvote 2
32 minutes ago, Eriks said:

This niche genre of roleplay takes work and grit, and it’s not always a rewarding experience. It can become extremely demotivating, especially when OOC and IC blend so much.

My first thought when hearing of the weed topic first ic on gtaw: "oh shit here we go again".

My reflection after the thing got vetoed:

This, here, actually makes sense. From an ooc perspective, the legal sector offers tons of variation in jobs and enterprises (up to playing a senator or corrupt mayor, d'oh, not legal anymore, anyway;) ).

Marijuana, on the other hand, is the most demanded product on the illegal sector- for the simple reason it's a considerably harmless drug so same as irl a lot of people consume it regardless of it being illegal.

The same can be said of other drugs, yes, but in our nutshell society/economy you'll easily notice that when pushing coke or pills or hard stuff, you'll not have as easy a time finding customers for the simple reason that consuming hard drugs doesn't fit in every character concept, so people do what they'd do irl and deny such stuff.

13 minutes ago, Kipps said:

if the intention was always to veto, let people know before they waste their time.

And this of course, and in addition:

If the intention to veto it only got clear that very last moment, please more guidelines and communication on what's expected from characters in such responsible positions to prevent such situations.

Barely anything's more frustrating than to build up structures intended for a mid or long term run to then be shut down or pushed back over something that came unexpected (to me as observer it looked like the weed bill would simply pass for quite some time, and I just kept up to date on public sources on the forum on this matter, so it was not like secretly planned in smokey backrooms ingame only lol).

13 minutes ago, Свето said:

@Redke 🤝

I have been summoned.

I can talk about my perspective when it comes to illegal versus legal roleplay, and the LEO side versus the political side thus far. Both illegal and legal roleplay have their perks - you're able to have a lot of creative freedom both but it's expanded on in different ways. For one, one of the best experiences I had while a part of the illegal roleplay community was a huge underground fight tournament that happened (before it was squashed by SD, thanks retards). I have met some really cool and chill people through there and I wouldn't be where I am in the community without my start in the illegal circle. However, I grew tired of this side of things because it seemed very repetitive. Not sure if it's because I've done all the same stuff before, up and down the chain of command, but it wasn't fun after a minute. The only thing that kept me going was the close circle I had.

As for legal roleplay, that's been a fantastic experience overall. Especially in my time in SD, I loved almost every minute of it. Sure, there were times it was monotonous (like traffic stops and stuff like that) but when you start to turn your character into an almost grey-area perspective, where his morals start to become flexible, it's a lot more enjoyable. Especially in SD, you're given a lot of freedom to be able to create the roleplay you want and have with little restrictions. Similarly to illegal roleplay, I was close with a circle in SD and they kept me going in the faction up until my removal.

Finally, onto political roleplay. I have a bias towards this, so just keep that in mind (if you're even reading up to this point). I absolutely love the behind-the-scenes work when it comes to politics, both IRL and RPly. Whether your character is a submissive politician that bends at the will of corporations or you're one of those go-getter attitude types where you're borderline an independent with a political party attached to your name. The opportunities are a bit restrictive, because you have a class you're roleplay as. It's unlikely you're going to head down to Davis in the first place, and even more unlikely you're going to head to clubs and party. Overall, there's a reputation you have to keep up and it's not for everyone. I've loved every minute of my time so far, especially now that the campaigns are starting. It's a lot of dialogue and relationship maintenance. Both political parties have their own standard when it comes to their candidates and members, and it's great to see the contrast between the two. Not only that, but the fact independents are a part of the server is amazing.

That's my 2 cents on the sides of roleplay. Overall, it depends on your personality and ultimately what you've already experienced on the server. If you've done illegal roleplay on places like LS-RP and now GTAW, maybe give legal roleplay a try. Wouldn't hurt.

• Wuhtah locked this topic