62 pages of game suggestions...what gives?

Ronnie two poles

I do not think closing suggestions is a good idea as a constant flow and new ideas should not be barred out for an extended amount of time. However, giving feedback and working up on the list over time will be a necessity and should be encouraged to let the playerbase know what is in the works, what priority it has or if the idea is scrapped/denied.

• Upvote 2

People suggest a lot of things that are silly. But I am sure it's a very good list of things that devs can look at or search in for inspiration for new ideas and features. So what if it has 62 suggestions, at least people care and think of things that will move us forward.

Even if a lot are stupid ideas it's kind of nice because everyone wants the server to improve in their own way.

• Upvote 1

The suggestions forums are a pit of ideas. We might not answer on your suggestion for a year, but we'll maybe find a very good idea in it once we'll be developping a similar feature / your feature.

It's just a section so your ideas can go there. If an suggestion has been already made you can bet you'll have at least ten people reminding you it's been made. 

4 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

If only we had a roadmap.

Why dont you.. suggest one?

Horrible jokes aside, the suggestion section is a yawning abyss of ideas. There are certainly very good ideas that have been overlooked over the years. But it's not like every suggestion just catches dust in the suggestion section. If a suggestion is actually good and has enough positive feedback, it has a good chance to be implemented, if it catches enough attention.

And just because something is suggested doesn't mean it's a good idea at all. Many suggestions are made and catch negative feedback, which then causes them to drown out in the mountain of other mediocre suggestions.

If something really well has been suggested and it sounds like a genuinely good idea, it will almost certainly make it in at one point.

The suggestion section is just a pool of ideas, not a to-do list.

Man 62 pages it a lot?

Shit Adobe has to get their shit together https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests

Discord also has to jump on that stuff https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Shit... Spotify is in the same gutter as well https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/idb-p/ideas_live

God these guys have paid developers, why don't they just handle suggestions?

It boils down to two things; Cherry-picking the actual good suggestions and Manpower.

Cherry-picking the good ideas isn't as easy as it sounds, within every single company management already has their own features that take priority over user suggestions. So you always need to find ideas that everyone in management will agree on and will not have much of a negative impact on the community. 

On the note of Manpower, currently, as it is, we have a development team that all are volunteers and are working on suggestions in their free-time, if you want to do something about it, apply for development. Putting all my personal projects aside, I personally have a long to-do list of things that are about 3 months old. And I work on stuff when I have free time to do it and when I feel like it. Otherwise if I just grind myself out and work on stuff all the time without pay I'm just gonna become depressed and leave the development team.

Also, Kinny made a really good point:

On 2/20/2021 at 2:48 AM, KinnyWynny said:
i mean they're suggestions not a to-do list.

suggestion
[sə(ɡ)ˈjesCH(ə)n]

NOUN
  1. an idea or plan put forward for consideration.

Although our TO-DO lists aren't any cleaner.

It would definitely be a good idea to close off the entire suggestion thread for a month or two and handle every single one of them - forward, deny or let whoever decides the outcome come to a vote on the ones that are less clear or more controversial.

The problem with postponing the answer is that they'll eventually keep on piling up more and more and have twice as many pages. The more suggestions are pending, the less likely it is for them to be handled.

It'd be pretty neat to know that the month X of each year is reserved to handling the pending suggestions posted in the last year by making a decision and creating an internal to-do list with priority and complexity tags assigned to each bullet point. The following year could be dedicated to implementing the suggestions which were forwarded and approved, based on their complexities and priorities.

A lot of them are duplicates too and it's really not something you can control. Sure, you can try searching up whether it's been suggested before or not but most of the times multiple people will use multiple ways to describe the same thing so you'll still end up with multiple versions of the same suggestion.

There isn't really a practical way to handle that forum section. You can come up with 10 suggestions in 10 minutes while the staff team has to weigh in a lot of factors and opinions regarding whether only one of those 10 suggestion is a good addition or not. There's ways to make the process more organized and efficient though.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic