Your thoughts on law enforcement and jail?

Amellis

I'm fine with murder being 20 days, manslaughter doesn't seem to be treated with the respect it deserves, I don't mind getting CKed if my rp comes to it, but other people might not think the same.

When I joined I don't recall seeing several CK messages in chat every day like we have now, but criminal rp was a thing back then too.

I know some of those CKs are suicides and players wanting something new, but is it to the degree we've got? Because concern about being CKed feels higher to me, at least in the legal community.

It's not only about CKs, this topic wasn't about the crimes themselves to begin with.

7 minutes ago, Amellis said:

I'm fine with murder being 20 days, manslaughter doesn't seem to be treated with the respect it deserves, I don't mind getting CKed if my rp comes to it, but other people might not think the same.

When I joined I don't recall seeing several CK messages in chat every day like we have now, but criminal rp was a thing back then too.

I know some of those CKs are suicides and players wanting something new, but is it to the degree we've got? Because concern about being CKed feels higher to me, at least in the legal community.

It's not only about CKs, this topic wasn't about the crimes themselves to begin with.

In the same thread, you're complaining that people wouldn't want to lose their characters while advocating for illegal roleplayers to lose theirs for obnoxious amount of time(such as 20 OOC days). You can't have the best of both worlds. You, among many other legal roleplayers, are selfish with your requests because you think it's outrageous to cough up 2k in a robbery or a PF gun(which you shouldn't be walking around with 24/7 like you're the president of the USA anyway).

CKs have nothing to do with your argument either. If people have an IC reason to shoot, they won't stop to match LA murder rate, your argument makes no sense, and I'd like you to push realism on the side of legal roleplayers as well. If people don't have an IC reason to shoot, feel free to report them to the admins because that's not an IC issue, that's an OOC issue. You derailed your thread yourself by going on rants about illegal roleplayers committing "dumb third world crimes", and talking about how incompetent cops can be. This will be my last reply, and the last thing I'll say is this; if you genuinely believe you're better than others who are roleplaying as cops, or people who are roleplaying in the illegal community, then by all means, make a character and join one of those communities and lead by example. Your "mostly legal character" doesn't give you leeway to hand out judgement to others for their roleplay.

When you're the one shooting, you have a choice, when you're the one shot at, you don't, and a CK is permanent, not 20 OOC days.

The times I've been robbed I've had 0 problem giving everything to the robbers, exceeding the nonsense 5k limit. I don't usually carry much on me for the same reason I don't do IRL, I consider there's no point on carrying things you don't need and out in the street, robberies happen, you could lose these things. none of my legal characters even had a weapon, as useful as they are, since we're apparently in such a trigger happy city, because I don't think given the setting that it's realistic. I don't think I'm better than anyone, I base my opinions on what I've seen or heard and despite being clear about it I feel like I owe an apology for those who feel offended, It's not my intention to insult anyone or their roleplay here, but to know the community's thoughts about the subject.

I wanted to start a suggestion as I said, but instead wanted to ask what you guys think first, as the community we are, this isn't about me or what I want, sure I would love for a heavy rp server to have realistic rp in every field, sure not everyone has the same quality standards, but I understand not everyone wants the same.

Edited by Amellis
  • Upvote 1

A lot of actually good and roleplayers that actively engage in the illegal side like Pluto, and high calibered legal and prison roleplayer like Kipps made their points pretty clear. Being in-game doesn't make you actually roleplay anything. You could just AFK through it like it's been done all the time on one particular server we know. Seeing nametags and players in the jail doesn't actually create any real roleplay and on-going events, which is the only thing that will keep the prison active (on-going events I mean wars, politics, drugs, gambling), if that's not happening? You can have 100 players in the prison idling and nothing will happen, obviously.

Sure, the system we have now? As you guys said it, some people might not even log in for a murder. But they will definetly adjust the roleplay of their character coming out of jail, because a lot of stuff happens in 3 weeks, and their stay in jail will be roleplayed. Believe it or not, some people who get in prison actually stay quiet, follow the race program, and get out with just the time passing - it's a very boring stay and that could be portrayed as someone who doesn't log in-game. People also need to realize the point that Kipps put out on this thread, prison is a vital place where criminals make more links and it's a vital part of a criminal's lifecycle. If a player doesn't do that, it's counted as a loss on his own character, not anyone elses.

Upping/lowering the sentences or changing anything won't do shit, crime is still going to happen because it's fun, it's what people want to portray. Nobody wants to roleplay making scrambled eggs in the morning and then going to work, then hopping off work and roleplay sleeping - it's what most of us do IRL, and it doesn't bring any fun. The current system promotes smart crime and it's what we should keep.

Police definetly need to up their calibre of roleplay and get rid of the robocop attitude, bring more realistic characters to the table, and the whole illegal scene just needs a bit more direction. It's all a weird mix but I do believe it's gonna get sorted out as time goes.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, undefined said:

A lot of actually good and roleplayers that actively engage in the illegal side like Pluto, and high calibered legal and prison roleplayer like Kipps made their points pretty clear. Being in-game doesn't make you actually roleplay anything. You could just AFK through it like it's been done all the time on one particular server we know. Seeing nametags and players in the jail doesn't actually create any real roleplay and on-going events, which is the only thing that will keep the prison active (on-going events I mean wars, politics, drugs, gambling), if that's not happening? You can have 100 players in the prison idling and nothing will happen, obviously.

Sure, the system we have now? As you guys said it, some people might not even log in for a murder. But they will definetly adjust the roleplay of their character coming out of jail, because a lot of stuff happens in 3 weeks, and their stay in jail will be roleplayed. Believe it or not, some people who get in prison actually stay quiet, follow the race program, and get out with just the time passing - it's a very boring stay and that could be portrayed as someone who doesn't log in-game. People also need to realize the point that Kipps put out on this thread, prison is a vital place where criminals make more links and it's a vital part of a criminal's lifecycle. If a player doesn't do that, it's counted as a loss on his own character, not anyone elses.

Upping/lowering the sentences or changing anything won't do shit, crime is still going to happen because it's fun, it's what people want to portray. Nobody wants to roleplay making scrambled eggs in the morning and then going to work, then hopping off work and roleplay sleeping - it's what most of us do IRL, and it doesn't bring any fun. The current system promotes smart crime and it's what we should keep.

Police definetly need to up their calibre of roleplay and get rid of the robocop attitude, bring more realistic characters to the table, and the whole illegal scene just needs a bit more direction. It's all a weird mix but I do believe it's gonna get sorted out as time goes.

Not to break any illusions, but robocop attitude is kinda enforced in every armed forces organization. Simply because of nature of their work. Sure they can be friendly, but don't have to add emotions to their approach and believe me irl cops mostly don't do that. Their job is to pull you over, recite your violations and collect the money or take your license. It's what they are paid to do, it's what they are trained for. I have been to a PD station multiple times, what I am always seeing there, are machines. Yes they are normal among their own, but if they are on the scene or showing a convict around, there is no emotion on their face whatsoever. Also for you waking up in the morning, doing the jog then having breakfast is maybe boring roleplay, but that's literally daily rp for most of civ roleplayers. They chose to roleplay mundane things. And of course if someone with such attitude gets into jail, they are just gonna slide along undetected if they can, just serve their sentence quietly and on best behaviour. Otherwise is pretty much as you and Knipps said. Thing is that, given it's a heavy roleplay server, everyone should chip in, if only for few minutes of roleplay while in prison. People working in scripted venues actually have to roleplay if they wanna get paid, no afking there.

Edited by Engelbert
11 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Not to break any illusions, but robocop attitude is kinda enforced in every armed forces organization. Simply because of nature of their work. Sure they can be friendly, but don't have to add emotions to their approach and believe me irl cops mostly don't do that. Their job is to pull you over, recite your violations and collect the money or take your license. It's what they are paid to do, it's what they are trained for. I have been to a PD station multiple times, what I am always seeing there, are machines. Yes they are normal among their own, but if they are on the scene or showing a convict around, there is no emotion on their face whatsoever. Also for you waking up in the morning, doing the jog then having breakfast is maybe boring roleplay, but that's literally daily rp for most of civ roleplayers. They chose to roleplay mundane things. And of course if someone with such attitude gets into jail, they are just gonna slide along undetected if they can, just serve their sentence quietly and on best behaviour. Otherwise is pretty as you and Knipps said. Thing is that, given it's a heavy roleplay server, everyone should chip in, if only for few minutes of roleplay while in prison. People working in scripted venues actually have to roleplay if they wanna get paid, no afking there.

That's SD's work as well and its been mentioned in this topic and many other places, SD having higher RP quality tan PD, both factions having more and less dedicated RPers and of course the more dedicated RPers can vary their roleplay too, which makes me believe we can get a better PD.

Edited by Amellis
  • Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

Much too lax, but nobody with any ability to do anything about it has an incentive to brave the whining masses and fix it.

And so the percentage of the community that's not a cop or a robber will continue to shrink.

You’ve been saying that here since 2018. I honestly have no idea what you do on the server, or what happened to you that has made you so adversarial and inhospitable towards illegal roleplay. It’s like a massive part of the community is just invisible to you. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Engelbert said:

Not to break any illusions, but robocop attitude is kinda enforced in every armed forces organization. Simply because of nature of their work. Sure they can be friendly, but don't have to add emotions to their approach and believe me irl cops mostly don't do that. Their job is to pull you over, recite your violations and collect the money or take your license. It's what they are paid to do, it's what they are trained for. I have been to a PD station multiple times, what I am always seeing there, are machines. Yes they are normal among their own, but if they are on the scene or showing a convict around, there is no emotion on their face whatsoever. Also for you waking up in the morning, doing the jog then having breakfast is maybe boring roleplay, but that's literally daily rp for most of civ roleplayers. They chose to roleplay mundane things. And of course if someone with such attitude gets into jail, they are just gonna slide along undetected if they can, just serve their sentence quietly and on best behaviour. Otherwise is pretty as you and Knipps said. Thing is that, given it's a heavy roleplay server, everyone should chip in, if only for few minutes of roleplay while in prison. People working in scripted venues actually have to roleplay if they wanna get paid, no afking there.

Just a small opinion on this topic above.

By meaning that cops need to roleplay emotion, we're not talking about cops crying because you shot at them or anything like that. Yeah, you're trained, but you're a human being. A human who has opinions on things, on neighborhoods, on the car you're pulling over, wondering where you're going, how much was the car. Cops ask these questions intentionally, yeah - but our cops base their traffic stops and interactions on 3-4 basic sentences being:

Evening, sir. License and registration...

Can you please step out of the car?

We'll be giving you a ticket for insert traffic violation, you have 72 hours to pay it at any goverment building or online, by paying you admit guilt and you can't contest it in court.

Cops just need to spice up their characters with more personality and realism, to depict what a real-life LA cop is doing on his regular, yeah - cops on the first interaction are pretty boring people, but they're not coming down to 4 lines of text and a command for writing tickets and searching you and your car for guns. People need to actually develop their characters on the events that happen, and not just stay the same dude doing the same traffic stops to the same people in order to get them in jail. You're here to create RP, not chase anyone who doesn't look like a civi roleplayer. More realism into the LA cop characters and more developing is what's gonna get the faction better, not anything else. 

If a bad mindset is glorified in a faction, then the people who are doing the right thing will never get a chance to be noticed or influence anyone else. People who are in SD's teams that are making faction related decisions are all very expirienced legal roleplayers who influence the lowers members into following the good roleplay , they also put a really good job at filtering out the bad apples by actually gettird rid of them, I hope PD isn't reverse to this.

18 minutes ago, undefined said:

cops base their traffic stops and interactions on 3-4 basic sentences being

Imagine you’re a cop, and you don’t have the energy or inspiration to conduct a meaningful and engaging traffic stop. Why make the stop in the first place? 

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • effion unlocked this topic