Your thoughts on law enforcement and jail?

Amellis

2 hours ago, griggs said:

My thoughts on law enforcement are a bit off topic perhaps. LSPD rarely display emotions and actually roleplay character development. Almost every police officer is a tough guy. Robocop, if you will. I can't say anything negative about SD, I know some of these people and I also know their RP standards are the highest among law enforcement factions. 

That's not off topic! It's what I was aiming to get at first 😁

I've heard that too and for a while I felt like they were pushed away from the city (SD), All I see PD do are traffic stops and collect bodies, but once they collect a body feels like anyone ever talks about it again, as if it never happened.

I don't know if it's the higher ups hiring whoever shows up at the trials or most of them get lazy once they're in, last time I needed them took me a solid hour to report a kidnap and robbery, and they got the details because I basically told the officer what to do, despite a higher rank being present.

Also kind of usual to find MRPD, their main station, empty or with someone on duty afk inside.

Edited by Amellis
  • Upvote 1

I think a lot of the way criminals act is also due to how legal rper victims behave. Some kid tried to break into my car today and I said I wouldn't press charges so long as they taught him a lesson, so the SD scared him with a k9 unit and let him go. Deputies were super cool and weren't at all robotic. A lot of legal rpers just want to send you to jail for 2 days because you tried to bust into their car, regardless of circumstance.

You're expected to be merciful as a criminal by legal rpers but legal rpers are ruthless with their punishment on you.

Edited by LICE
10 minutes ago, LICE said:

You're expected to be merciful as a criminal by legal rpers but legal rpers are ruthless with their punishment on you.

Right? then they wonder why as soon as you get outta jail they get riddled with bullets, but that's neither here nor there... One thing some legal rpers don't understand aswell is that not every illegal character is gonna be merciful. Alot of my characters treat regular civilians nicely and even try to look out for them at times, but that's not something that's universal for everyone's characters. Some people's characters are cunts.'

OT though I love the way LSSD deals with criminal RPers. I also love the RP coming from the gang unit in the LSPD, every interaction i have with them is A1, that's not to say that LSPD in general is bad, because they've got alot of dope rpers.

Additionally, I don't think changing the prison sentance system in any way is gonna encourage players to roleplay in prison, it'd just become like lsrp where people either nc out of prison or just go to sleep whilst still logged into their character (Which people already do)

Edited by Garras Up

From what I can see from this suggestion it appears that OP is insinuating that if you increase the punishment for criminal role players, LS gets  safer. It bothers me whenever I have to explain this but you can't be far from wrong.

I see this time and time again and I regurgitate the same response back on over to everybody who makes these suggestions, and it's honestly tiring. Our social economy is nowhere near as close as the social economy in real life, stopping crime/increasing the punishment in this video game will not stop crime on the server. Police arresting criminals does not make Davis safer. Police upping their presence in Sandy Shores does not make it so the crime rate will drop. Whilst there is data that shows upped police presence in real life does provide a safer atmosphere, that doesn't happen in GTA:W.

As @RufioCas said, if we want to tinker with one portion of the jail system, we'll have to tinker with another half of it to accommodate those changes that were made. Additionally, as somebody who is in a senior supervisory rank in a LEO faction and somebody who role played an ex-homicide detective character, I can assure you that SD's DB does try their best with those sort of cases. But in real life, you have to remember that there will be hundreds of witnesses, CCTV cameras, etc. We do not have access to those a lot of the time. When we are fortunate to be able to role play CCTV footage, have several complying witnesses, casings etc, we do try our best to work on it in a fair manner so we are not playing to win against the criminal party.

Sidenote: For those who are willing to blame criminal role players for this, I'd actually like to commend criminal role players as my time as a detective in SD was made enjoyable due to the sheer willingness of most people wanting to cooperate with me on an OOC level so I can role play and do my IC job, whilst they were using this as an opportunity to develop their characters. Most ignorant legal role players will say all illegal role players just do "/me searches *name*, /b /showinv [ID]", if we want to pull the stereotype card we can just call all legal role players riced up car driving erpers!

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, LICE said:

I think a lot of the way criminals act is also due to how legal rper victims behave. Some kid tried to break into my car today and I said I wouldn't press charges so long as they taught him a lesson, so the SD scared him with a k9 unit and let him go. Deputies were super cool and weren't at all robotic. A lot of legal rpers just want to send you to jail for 2 days because you tried to bust into their car, regardless of circumstance.

unknown.png.aaf827afe93a9628a11749cf7bed0553.png

That right there is someone who I'm pretty sure tried to break into my car. Nobody knows about that ICly, I saw him, so did my character, the moment I stood up, said player started acting up, walking in circles, and left.

In the prison parking. With cameras pointing everywhere. That's the kind of things I want to avoid, it's not about locking characters in jail and forcing them to stay there, it's about giving being imprisoned a meaning for everyone, not just for those characters who actually go on with it.

19 minutes ago, Garras Up said:

Right? then they wonder why as soon as you get outta jail they get riddled with bullets, but that's neither here nor there... One thing some legal rpers don't understand aswell is that not every illegal character is gonna be merciful. Alot of my characters treat regular civilians nicely and even try to look out for them at times, but that's not something that's universal for everyone's characters. Some people's characters are cunts.'

OT though I love the way LSSD deals with criminal RPers. I also love the RP coming from the gang unit in the LSPD, every interaction i have with them is A1, that's not to say that LSPD in general is bad, because they've got alot of dope rpers.

Additionally, I don't think changing the prison sentance system in any way is gonna encourage players to roleplay in prison, it'd just become like lsrp where people either nc out of prison or just go to sleep whilst still logged into their character (Which people already do)

I'd say killing someone as soon as someone gets out of jail is a dumb thing to do, and revenge killing is, from my point of view, in many scenarios, poor escalation.

I'll go ahead and say it again, it's 2021, this isn't the 30's anymore, from a few decades back if there's a crime, someone is likely to serve time, the right person or someone on their behalf, I see many people acting like "Eh, who cares, if I get jailed I'll just play another char for a bit".

Edited by Amellis
43 minutes ago, Amellis said:

That's not off topic! It's what I was aiming to get at first 😁

I've heard that too and for a while I felt like they were pushed away from the city (SD), All I see PD do are traffic stops and collect bodies, but once they collect a body feels like anyone ever talks about it again, as if it never happened.

I don't know if it's the higher ups hiring whoever shows up at the trials or most of them get lazy once they're in, last time I needed them took me a solid hour to report a kidnap and robbery, and they got the details because I basically told the officer what to do, despite a higher rank being present.

Also kind of usual to find MRPD, their main station, empty or with someone on duty afk inside.

That's an awkward assumption to make. You have little to no idea how things work on the inside. Detectives pursue cases, it's only natural you wouldn't know about a murder, that's not the fault of PD or SD, that's the fault of the press.

I won't even bother with responding to the rest of your accusations, lol

And once again, you're talking assumptions rather than facts. Do you even bother with putting in research before expressing your opinion? It's honestly tiring. Repeat offenders are a very serious thing in real life, and there's an example I can give you right away. A gang member called Dozer from CVTF in real life got locked up, got released, and got locked up once again only 5 days after. People might get rehabilated, they might not. It's rather comical for you to say "dumb" crimes when you were defending drive-bys are dumb a few hours ago until you were proven wrong, at which point you tried to twist it. Read through this and decide if it's the "30's" even though that's the worst argument I've ever seen on this forums.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7.com/amp/lapd-gun-violence-2021-crime-in-la-violent-south/9757544

Edited by RufioCas
2 minutes ago, RufioCas said:

That's an awkward assumption to make. You have little to no idea how things work on the inside.

Well, I've said from the beginning and repeated enough times that I don't, same as I keep saying that's how I see things, based on what I've heard, since, as I just said again, I don't have much experience with criminal RP.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone here, I'm genuinely curious and wanted to know the opinions of more experienced people.

1 minute ago, Amellis said:

Well, I've said from the beginning and repeated enough times that I don't, same as I keep saying that's how I see things, based on what I've heard, since, as I just said again, I don't have much experience with criminal RP.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone here, I'm genuinely curious and wanted to know the opinions of more experienced people.

It's fine to not have much experience, it's not fine to call things "dumb" and "unrealistic" if you don't have much experience.

10 minutes ago, Amellis said:

I'd say killing someone as soon as someone gets out of jail is a dumb thing to do, and revenge killing is, from my point of view, in many scenarios, poor escalation.

It can be a bad thing, yes. You're right. Cause the thing is depending on the charges, if you go kill the witness after you get out, you might catch more charges, or it might just be pointless. Once the person's done testifying and you've served your time, your character realistically would have no reason to pursue it. I once went to jail for a robbery and it was obvious that the victim told, but simply because it'd bring too much heat to my character, he decided not to retaliate. Some people don't consider those factors, though.

The thing is too in the gang world, if you go to jail, you're pretty much upping your status in the gang world, especially when it comes to Hispanic gangs. Most players don't take that into consideration and become hellbent on killing the person who put them in jail, when in reality the other person was indirectly helping them develop.

10 minutes ago, Amellis said:

I'll go ahead and say it again, it's 2021, this isn't the 30's anymore, from a few decades back if there's a crime, someone is likely to serve time, the right person or someone on their behalf, I see many people acting like "Eh, who cares, if I get jailed I'll just play another char for a bit".

Yes, that's a valid point. In 2021 most criminals try to operate more in the shadows than they normally would. Retribution against characters who testify should really only be a factor in some situations. One thing I will say though is that the current year isn't the only thing that causes less crime by gangs/organisations in America. One factor that influences gang crime in Los Angeles for example (And results in less open crime) is the fact that 99% of gangs in LA have active and for the most part, permanent injunctions on them, these injunctions were placed on the gangs during the late 90's and early 2000's because they had terrorised their communities for so many years that it was pretty much the only thing the city could pursue.

There's also RICO acts and shit like that that can keep criminal organisations in line, but the thing is that law enforcement and other groups rarely pursue these things in character. Which IMO is a problem.

Edited by Garras Up
2 minutes ago, Garras Up said:

It can be a bad thing, yes. You're right. Cause the thing is depending on the charges, if you go kill the witness after you get out, you might catch more charges, or it might just be pointless. Once the person's done testifying and you've served your time, your character realistically would have no reason to pursue it. I once went to jail for a robbery and it was obvious that the victim told, but simply because it'd bring too much heat to my character, he decided not to retaliate. Some people don't consider those factors, though.

It's petty much obvious and easy to chase your ass for it, even if they can't prove it they will search for other stuff for bringing you down... It's basicly poor escalation.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • effion unlocked this topic