Your thoughts on law enforcement and jail?

Amellis

6 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

The suggestion of time spent IC is aimed at fixing that. Obviously it is not going to get even remotely close to improving if sentences can be waited out without actually being in prison.

Yes, I already expressed my support in that thread.

6 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

People raised, and will raise issues about prison times, the whole point is, don't do the crime if you can't do the time. The other part of my post means that this server actually has active Court, Prosecutors, Public Defenders, which no one has. Post arrest you go to court, nothing's wrong with he system itself, nothing's wrong with the prison sentences. I never said anything about murders, nor do I care about them. I am answering to some posts, and title of this topic too.

Yes, they will because some of them are not feasible with the current jail population(which is increasing thanks to the amazing efforts of countless people on both SD's side and illegal roleplayers). I appreciate all that, and I do acknowledge that no one is paid to deal with all the increasing numbers of cases every day. However, it's frustrating on the side of illegal roleplayers because some of us are stuck with jail roleplay for months, and while I do appreciate jail roleplay, my faction needs me too, and I don't want to create throwaway characters. This creates a problem that has to be solved. The murders were directed at the OP, not you.

2 minutes ago, Amellis said:

Little Timmy steals Bob the builder's hammer, bob the builder kills little Timmy, then Little Timmy's friends kills Bob the builder.
I, as a mostly legal rper, with not that much illegal rp experience, have seen that happen more than once, let alone hear about friends who are more into it.

As a side note, if Little Timmy's friends can find out Bob the builder killed Timmy, LSPD / SD can find out too, with dedication and some thinking.

Uhhhh... okay but what does that have to do with what I've just said? LSPD/LSSD already find murderers. I can literally tell you that as a past homicide Detective, and a current PD member.

1 minute ago, WooWoo said:

Yes you nailed it on the head! That's one of the beauties of having mandatory serving time. Jail will have more activity now that they have to serve their sentence in game!

Once again, my guy, you cannot expect people to be in game for 480 hours. That's 240 days if you spend 2 hours a day. That requires jail time adjustments, which I've already stated so I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

7 minutes ago, RufioCas said:

IThe first sentence is quite cliche, and is the wrong mindset to approach things. If people stop doing crimes, you won't have cases to fight for, right?

Moving on from that, it really isn't the best law system either considering you cannot get plea deals until your court date which can take up to 2 OOC months to conclude.

PD/SD can charge you with anything as long as they have "probable cause" which basically means you can be charged as long as they can articulate why they suspect you of committing the crime.

This results in people being locked up for a prolonged time under suspicion. It's especially a painful process if you plead not guilty instead of no contest. There's no point in cooperating because you won't get a plea deal until your court(at which point you'll sit out the original sentence anyway).

First sentence is pointed out to people who cried and who will cry about big prison sentences. 

You can get a plea deal before your court case starts, the problem is in PD/SD rarely working with DA's Office, in the past, they started pinging us on the pager more often in the past week.

They can charge, and I personally drop the charges if I can't prove the guilt beyond the reasonable doubt, everyone in the DA's Office does.

All the things about the plea deals are wrong, when I was actively roleplaying in December in DoJ, and not just handling court stuff, many people got the deal and went out even before their court case started. 

This is the best law system because we actually have active Courts, DoJ, Public Defenders etc., which no one has.

2 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

First sentence is pointed out to people who cried and who will cry about big prison sentences. 

You can get a plea deal before your court case starts, the problem is in PD/SD rarely working with DA's Office, in the past, they started pinging us on the pager more often in the past week.

They can charge, and I personally drop the charges if I can't prove the guilt beyond the reasonable doubt, everyone in the DA's Office does.

All the things about the plea deals are wrong, when I was actively roleplaying in December in DoJ, and not just handling court stuff, many people got the deal and went out even before their court case started. 

This is the best law system because we actually have active Courts, DoJ, Public Defenders etc., which no one has.

That's fine but that hasn't been my personal experience with my latest arrest. I guess the responsibility's in PD/SD's hands in that case, but I was told by a PD member that it was the responsibility of the DA, and not theirs. So there's certainly some type of miscommunication there, and it has to be addressed.

Just now, RufioCas said:

That's fine but that hasn't been my personal experience with my latest arrest. I guess the responsibility's in PD/SD's hands in that case, but I was told by a PD member that it was the responsibility of the DA, and not theirs. So there's certainly some type of miscommunication there, and it has to be addressed.

If someone decides to snitch, post arrest, for, let's say, possession of a firearm, PD can easily call DA's Office to dismiss the charges and cut them a deal. Even with bigger crimes, yes, cooperation is still low, but it's getting better now.

Your faction needs you, but you commit a "dumb" crime (drive-by shooting in a populated area for example) and get caught with that.

Back to page 2, that's why jails trend to be packed with gangbangers.

It's realistic for a gangbanger, many gangbangers get long sentences when they're young for such crimes and get released 10, 20 years later.

That's also realistic, you know what isn't realistic? The same gangbanger doing a drive-by shooting once a month.

Okay, yeah, I get it... It's a game, a game trying to mimic reality, you choose to rp in a gang, that has it's good things and bad things, like everything in life.

Edited by Amellis

My thoughts on law enforcement are a bit off topic perhaps. LSPD rarely display emotions and actually roleplay character development. Almost every police officer is a tough guy. Robocop, if you will. I can't say anything negative about SD, I know some of these people and I also know their RP standards are the highest among law enforcement factions. 

Edited by griggs
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • effion unlocked this topic