'In broad daylight'

Kipps

5 hours ago, Kipps said:

But recently, I've also seen some people (including administrators) nodding along to the argument about how silly it is for X or Y to happen 'in broad daylight'.

From what I have seen, and argued in reports myself, this primarily concerns actions that realistically draw a lot of people's attention. If your action (subtly breaking into a house) does not draw a lot of attention through careful preparation (perhaps you have a van and are pretending providing some service) then a break-in request ought not to be denied solely because it occurs 'in broad daylight'. If you did experience this, then this is something we should discuss internally.

As for the time zone discussion, a thread about this was recently closed since this has been discussed over and over again. Don't derail this thread into that direction. I'll remove any replies that keep mentioning it from now on.

• Upvote 1

It is not the fact that crime is happening in broad daylight. It is that crime is committed during the day in places where anyone can see it. We are meant to RP that there are other people around us - even if there is not any actual players in that vicinity. This means committing a robbery on the Del Perro Pier during the day is unrealistic as it is supposed to be heavily populated (not to mention the fact there is a small police station there).

About a month ago, my friend’s character was held up at gun point in order to be robbed. This would have been fine… except it was in broad daylight, in a high-end neighbourhood, on busy road, next to the Mirror Park Soccer Field and close to the biggest LSPD station. On a normal day in Mirror Park, there would be people everywhere. For example, people playing soccer on the fields, people walking their dogs, people driving along that road, and lots of police officers near that LSPD station. Even though they were not there script-wise, those opportunist criminals didn't NPC that they were there.

These types of criminals take advantage of the low number of players online during the day. They do that on purpose so other players cannot catch them in the act. They will disregard the fact that invisible NPCs are walking around and have the potential to call the police on them. Quite frankly, I’m glad they get reported for their subpar day crime role-play. If you want to commit a crime during the day? Only do it in places where you will not be caught and where others (implied NPCs and players) cannot blatantly see it.

Edited by SweetDaffodil
  • Applaud 1
Just now, SweetDaffodil said:

It is not the fact that crime is happening in broad daylight. It is that crime is committed during the day in places where anyone can see it. We are meant to RP that there are other people around us - even if there is not any actual players in that vicinity. This means committing a robbery on the Del Perro Pier during the day is unrealistic as  it is supposed to be heavily populated (not to mention the fact there is a small police station there).

About a month ago, my friend’s character was held up at gun point in order to be robbed. This would have been fine… except it was in broad daylight, in a high-end neighbourhood, on busy road, next to the Mirror Park Soccer Field and close to the biggest LSPD station. On a normal day in Mirror Park, there would be people everywhere. For example, people playing soccer on the fields, people walking their dogs, people driving along that road, and lots of police officers near that LSPD station. Even though they were not there script-wise, those opportunist criminals didn't NPC that they were there.

These types of criminals take advantage of the low number of players online during the day. They do that on purpose so other players cannot catch them in the act. They will disregard the fact that invisible NPCs are walking around and have the potential to call the police on them. Quite frankly, I’m glad they get reported for their subpar day crime role-play. If you want to commit a crime during the day? Only do it in places where you will not be caught and where others (implied NPCs and players) cannot blatantly see it.

I'm NGL imagine having to factor in every single thing. Sometimes these guys don't have that kinda energy when they come here to have fun, as long as they present adequate RP standard I don't see issues with them committing crimes in broad daylight, cos while the invisible NPC argument is true, it can be legally applied to any discussion about anything taking place in game. **A man will always be tending to the graveyard**

**A man always walks down Hawick Avenue at 5AM** things like that, it's just applicable anywhere

12 minutes ago, Wynters said:

I'm NGL imagine having to factor in every single thing. Sometimes these guys don't have that kinda energy when they come here to have fun, as long as they present adequate RP standard I don't see issues with them committing crimes in broad daylight, cos while the invisible NPC argument is true, it can be legally applied to any discussion about anything taking place in game. **A man will always be tending to the graveyard**

**A man always walks down Hawick Avenue at 5AM** things like that, it's just applicable anywhere

I'm not arguing they have to factor in every little conceivable detail. All I'm saying is they have to be realistic with where they commit crimes. Just because they don't have the energy to be clever about how they commit day crimes does not mean realism should be thrown out the window. Pulling a gun on someone on a busy street in Mirror Park is inadequate RP.

I have no problems with them committing crimes during the day ONLY if they do it in places where they will not be caught. For instance, this could be dodgy alleyways, behind abandoned buildings, etc.

Edited by SweetDaffodil
19 minutes ago, SweetDaffodil said:

I'm not arguing they have to factor in every little conceivable detail. All I'm saying is they have to be realistic with where they commit crimes. Just because they don't have the energy to be clever about how they commit day crimes does not mean realism should be thrown out the window. Pulling a gun on someone on a busy street in Mirror Park is inadequate RP.

I have no problems with them committing crimes during the day ONLY if they do it in places where they will not be caught. For instance, this could be dodgy alleyways, behind abandoned buildings, etc.

you're twisting my words fam.

i didn't say that they shouldn't throw realism out the window cos they don't have energy.

im saying they shouldn't have to put energy into every conceivable detail in how they should orchestrate a crime in daylight.

especially if they're RPing illiterate gangsters and not organised crime mobsters

I think people here are getting a little carried away. It’s pretty obvious that the whole “in broad daylight” thing is just another way of saying “hey buddy, don’t forget to do that crime of yours realistically” and “please take x y x into account for your portrayal”. People get stuck up on the meaning in reports because the second a report turns to petty squabbling and it just sounds like a nice buzzword. At the end of the day, you could make a case and counter case for literally anything. In reality people just want to have crime take place where it makes sense.

57 minutes ago, Wynters said:

you're twisting my words fam.

i didn't say that they shouldn't throw realism out the window cos they don't have energy.

im saying they shouldn't have to put energy into every conceivable detail in how they should orchestrate a crime in daylight.

especially if they're RPing illiterate gangsters and not organised crime mobsters

Actually, criminals should put more effort/thought into crimes they commit during the day. Why? Simply because they are more likely to get caught. It does not matter if they are an illiterate gang banger or organised crime mobster. They still need to put energy into their plan and think about their actions before going through with it. They need to consider this:

Is this the right place to do it? Is there another way I can do it? Would anyone catch me in the act? What is my escape plan? What happens if this goes wrong? Would I be willing to do the time if I got caught? 

All of this ensures that criminals provide adequate crime RP. The more adequate RP, the less reports. Not only that but legal characters are going to suffer either way. If legal characters are required to RP fear and comply with the criminal to save their life, then criminals should be smart/thoughtful about how they orchestrate their crimes. And if they have to put more effort/energy into committing a crime during the day? So be it.

**Although I do agree with you when you say they should not have to consider every single little detail (quite frankly, there are some details that would be irrelevant and would serve no purpose to the crime RP) However, more effort needs to be put into how they orchestrate a crime especially in the day AND in public**

Edited by SweetDaffodil
9 hours ago, Kipps said:

I keep seeing this cliché of a phrase being shit into the player reports of people who're upset that their boring characters were killed.

But recently, I've also seen some people (including administrators) nodding along to the argument about how silly it is for X or Y to happen 'in broad daylight'.

Most people have real lives to plan their game time around. They can't log in at 3am in the morning to rob houses, which means that they might need to rob houses when it's only 6pm in-game. The alternative is that they just don't roleplay burglaries until they're prepared to stay up through the early hours of the morning. 

Can we please have some confirmation that it's okay for people to roleplay when they have the time to do so, and that expecting people to wait until past midnight before they roleplay robberies or whatever else is mindlessly dumb? My advice to the people who make this crap argument because they don't really have anything else to report a person for is to just not make the report in the first place. There are already more trivial reports that only exist to waste people's time and massage the egos of bad roleplayers than there are stars in the universe.

The broad daylight argument is mostly used in pointless robberies involving either a BF400 bike or just normal main street setting. And the argument is mainly about the fact, that such places are packed with people in the broad daylight so Juarez cartel wars style robbery is pretty cringe there and kinda difficult to pull off, if at all. There wasn't a single report made about breaking into someone's house during a broad daylight as far as I can remember.

• Wuhtah locked this topic