PKs and how they give you respawn free of consequences

Kappaurel

PK/CK's are really complex and loads of people have pointed out the issues if PK's were removed. Players have been known to use PK's to avoid punishments which is why forced CK's are a thing, admittedly that's rarely used. I'd be interested to see suggestions that totally do away with the PK/CK system as it's been around for years and there must be a better way of doing things, I've not yet seen something that strikes a good balance though. 

People are attached to their characters, develop them over long periods of time and it's one of the reasons people keep coming back to the server. If we were a lot stricter with CK's I think we would lose a lot of quality roleplay and player satisfaction. 

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Notbond said:

PK/CK's are really complex and loads of people have pointed out the issues if PK's were removed. Players have been known to use PK's to avoid punishments which is why forced CK's are a thing, admittedly that's rarely used. I'd be interested to see suggestions that totally do away with the PK/CK system as it's been around for years and there must be a better way of doing things, I've not yet seen something that strikes a good balance though. 

People are attached to their characters, develop them over long periods of time and it's one of the reasons people keep coming back to the server. If we were a lot stricter with CK's I think we would lose a lot of quality roleplay and player satisfaction. 

That's completely up to player. I have a personal rule, 1st death = CK, one life character. CKd 8 months character a few days ago. There can hardly be a suggestion or rule put in place to regulate it. Constantly making mistakes and taking only PKs, meaning, little to zero consequences after their death, talks a lot about the player and their roleplay quality. Then again, it's hard to be one life character if you're roleplaying on illegal side. Illegal Roleplay would slowly start dying if everyone CKs after their first death. The system is good as it is, if someone wants to wipe other player's character from the face of earth, there are CK applications. Just one man's opinion. 

1 minute ago, .Pluto. said:

That's completely up to player. I have a personal rule, 1st death = CK, one life character. CKd 8 months character a few days ago. There can hardly be a suggestion or rule put in place to regulate it. Constantly making mistakes and taking only PKs, meaning, little to zero consequences after their death, talks a lot about the player and their roleplay quality. Then again, it's hard to be one life character if you're roleplaying on illegal side. Illegal Roleplay would slowly start dying if everyone CKs after their first death. The system is good as it is, if someone wants to wipe other player's character from the face of earth, there are CK applications. Just one man's opinion. 

I think that's fair and should be left up to players, if you want to CK every time you die, all the power to you. I think we agree here, forcing a 1 life rule on players would be counter productive, but people always have the option to choose to follow that themselves. 

On 2/16/2021 at 4:49 PM, nateX said:

I don't really see it as a server rule issue as much as I see it as a flaw in the player mentality. I've always said this and will always say it - if you died next to a CK, due to your own stupidity, your own miscalculation when making a plan for a hit, or anything of the sort, then you should CK. The only exceptions I see to these are if it was a suspected or blatant breach of rules, a misunderstanding that happened which can be sorted out with server staff, an irrelevant situation where you just got caught in the crossfire, or some bizarre accident. 

• Most car accidents (the exception being desync)
  • You dying next to someone who you know is being hunted by someone else
  • You trying to choose the easy/quick way and dying instead of going the extra mile to guarantee success

These should be CKs, but people will hold onto characters for no particular reason in 60-70% of the cases because they're so afraid of losing progress which is most of the time easily obtained back on another character due to people knowing who you are OOCly. You don't really lose anything but your character's name with a CK.

It's upsetting to see people get PKed by close to every faction on the server and still go out of their way to continue a character's ''development'' when it's essentially beating a dead horse and in most cases don't lead to anything good.

If you get killed over some dumb, trollish thing that you have done, then you should CK. Using it as an opportunity to get out of consequences is stupid and in some cases is punishable.

What a loaded topic.

Want to start by saying I'm pro-consequence, in a narrative and development-oriented sense. Not a gamer/game sense. There's a marked difference here in GTAW, because play-styles vary. I mean vary.  

What's good roleplay to one person is terrible to another. Take for instance a robbery on a 'busy' public street where you're told to /showitems and not stall with rudimentary, rushed emotes. A perfectly acceptable robbery method by most faction and even the server's standards and rules. It's not quality roleplay. It's probably not even worth your time. It probably will not have any causal effect on your assailants state of mind, perspective on life, or morality only their bank account and ranking inside of a faction at best. Let's say your character dies here in this instance and it has to be a character-kill. How is that fair to say 4+ months of development when it's a meaningless scene for the most part, where narrative is concerned, overall? I'm genuinely curious. 

PKs exist to circumvent pointless deaths. Not only that, but the amount of people who do PK on the daily would make missing people/homicides rise exponentially, and that would very much alter the 'universe' we're in into a MORE dystopian pit where people won't go outside, won't take risks, won't even sit on a beach and hang out or won't do X, Y, and Z because the likelihood of immediate character death is so high, high enough to almost be guaranteed. That means less occurs across the server, there's less to bounce off of, and therefore a whole lot less roleplay to be had on account of fear.

The server just isn't built, as it stands, to sustain that because we're not operating in particularly realistic standards of reality. People can get robbed 15 times in a single day if you play long enough and stand in an area, alone, for five minutes. Characters will kill yours for a phone and $5,000 with little to no roleplay in between. People go to jail for a 20 days for first-degree murder. So the idea that we ought to CK for everything is absolutely bizarre to me. 

CKs should be applied for, should be case-by-case (in the instance of say, X amount of PKs or reckless endangerment of your character on a regular basis could then lead to a CK) and/or should be a person's choice. It's very circumstantial. That should be ok. 

If you suspect someone is abusing the system in this way (or any), sometimes it's just better to report it instead of having a blanket rule that cannot be applied fairly or sensitively across the board. 

Edited by shrike.

PK (FROM WHAT I'M USED TO) is usually RP'd as hospital treatment but it allows an easier yet still realistic approach that shows alternative to permanently losing your character.

People retrieve their vehicles after they've been chopped, and RP it as insurance.

Potato potato, tomato tomato, no?

Edited by Wynters
35 minutes ago, Wynters said:

PK (FROM WHAT I'M USED TO) is usually RP'd as hospital treatment but it allows an easier yet still realistic approach that shows alternative to permanently losing your character.

People retrieve their vehicles after they've been chopped, and RP it as insurance.

Potato potato, tomato tomato, no?

This.

I've also always RPed PK's as bad injuries / hospital treatments, because it simply makes no sense that you roleplay death yet you roam the streets of Los Santos 10 minutes later. Back on MTA we had the rule that if you roleplay death, you're CKed. Once you did a /me has no pulse, that's it for your character.

20 minutes ago, Pogis said:

This.

I've also always RPed PK's as bad injuries / hospital treatments, because it simply makes no sense that you roleplay death yet you roam the streets of Los Santos 10 minutes later. Back on MTA we had the rule that if you roleplay death, you're CKed. Once you did a /me has no pulse, that's it for your character.

But you literally type accept death, when you die you don’t go to the hospital on GTA W. 

I’ve always found death difficult to RP though, admittedly I believe haven’t died since end 2019/start of 2020. When I die I usually just log off for a few days or a week. It makes sense for my roleplay, I don’t engage in combat frequently like frontline gangbangers do (my character is more likely to OD than get shot) so that’s a thing too. 

It’s important to recognize and understand that some things apply to one person and don’t automatically apply to others. Like @.Pluto. perfectly outlined, we all have our own thing. There is no one fix for everything, the case by case basis is perfectly fine. Abuse can be handled by administrators. 

18 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

But you literally type accept death, when you die you don’t go to the hospital on GTA W. 

I’ve always found death difficult to RP though, admittedly I believe haven’t died since end 2019/start of 2020. When I die I usually just log off for a few days or a week. It makes sense for my roleplay, I don’t engage in combat frequently like frontline gangbangers do (my character is more likely to OD than get shot) so that’s a thing too. 

It’s important to recognize and understand that some things apply to one person and don’t automatically apply to others. Like @.Pluto. perfectly outlined, we all have our own thing. There is no one fix for everything, the case by case basis is perfectly fine. Abuse can be handled by administrators. 

You type accept death because the script forces you to. I haven't really been PKed on my character, but even if I was, how am I to RP dying and then meeting my friends the next day as if nothing has happened? Sure, I forget about the incident and whoever ''killed'' me and so on, but my character has never died. He's still around. He's still walking the streets of LS. 

You say you log off for a few days or a week, yet, you have roleplayed death. Your friends know ICly that you are /dead/, do you just pop up after a week alive and well?

1 minute ago, Pogis said:

You type accept death because the script forces you to. I haven't really been PKed on my character, but even if I was, how am I to RP dying and then meeting my friends the next day as if nothing has happened? Sure, I forget about the incident and whoever ''killed'' me and so on, but my character has never died. He's still around. He's still walking the streets of LS. 

You say you log off for a few days or a week, yet, you have roleplayed death. Your friends know ICly that you are /dead/, do you just pop up after a week alive and well?

Simply put, yes. Now of course I have to mentioned that doing so was easy in my particular situation because I died along with my friends. So when I logged back in my absence was, as I usually do when I can’t log on consecutively, put under the guise of a likely activity that would render my character unavailable. What works for me doesn’t work for everyone so you have to find your own thing that works. As for others, having been in south central frontline characters die often. Gang wars happen and leave deaths left and right. Generally when someone dies you acknowledge the death in a way that resembles another person. This works there because death is a daily aspect of life there, it’s not uncommon or unheard of. And while the party that died won’t discuss the death, the others do but you notice that even when a frontliner dies not much changes that would obstruct continuity or roleplay. Now as far as legal characters go, or characters where you don’t have death as a common reality of life - I have no idea. I don’t roleplay legally, I always roleplay around gangs, or drugs. Both of which are places of death. I couldn’t tell you how legal role players handle death, if you or your friend gets stabbed to death clubbing I can’t tell whether going to the club together the next day ruins anything. I assume most legal characters have a solution, but considering they don’t die often I doubt there’s much of a need for it. Essentially it comes down to how, what and where you roleplay. And ultimately what works for you personally, and your play style. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic