Enforce CK Applications on careless drivers and people involved in shoot-outs

OneEightSeven

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2021 at 8:41 PM, khaled said:

It has to go both ways. You can't just CK one side and not the other. Illegal roleplay as it is, is already difficult enough. There's always been an unfair balance and suggestions like this will continue to further demotivate this kind of roleplay as well as further contribute to this unfair balance between legal roleplay and illegal roleplay.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally support this idea. Tired of people poorly rping being a criminal, and having 0 consecuences.

People say its hard to rp illegal things, well please explain to me what's hard about sneaking up to someone and "/me puts gun to the head" and then demand a /showinv.

As it is, that kind of rp is high reward with low (or 0)  consecuences and it's turning the city into a very unpleasant place to rp being a normal citizen.

The current system is as good as it could possibly be without causing too much player dissatisfaction.

Shootouts? It isn't uncommon to be shot into Swiss cheese just because you were at the wrong place at the wrong time with your homies. Most of us would find it annoying to contest CK's each time we get caught in a shootout without any specific reason.

As for CK's during vehicle collisions, heh! It's not uncommon to be on the receiving end of another player's crazed 100 mph inner city, no intersection right of way any% speedrun. No one would find it correct to be CK'd just because some people disregard traffic laws and their character's life.

Enforcing CK's wouldn't coerce players to portray fear or watch out for their characters' lives — Due to the fear of losing progress, more players will be comfortable with breaking the rules or lying to the administrators. Frankly, people are already conducting "little agreements" through PMs during vehicle accidents just because they don't want to roleplay with FD, that's a minor nuisance, now, imagine what kind of avoidance would it be if there's the risk of CK at each intersection.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:30 PM, Yoo-na Whang said:

Totally support this idea. Tired of people poorly rping being a criminal, and having 0 consecuences.

People say its hard to rp illegal things, well please explain to me what's hard about sneaking up to someone and "/me puts gun to the head" and then demand a /showinv.

As it is, that kind of rp is high reward with low (or 0)  consecuences and it's turning the city into a very unpleasant place to rp being a normal citizen.

CK's are alright when robberies are idiotic and go south because the robber wasn't smart enough to stalk his target and plan ahead. And there is risks, a gun for those who aren't beneficiaries of a PF is a valuable asset, losing it would ruin their personal economies.  Also, it's been proven and confirmed by the server's administrators that /showinv robberies are sanctionable — Contribute to the improvement of the server's atmosphere, file a RPQM or player report.

Edited by meltcity

Personally, I have always been against forced permanent character kills. In my opinion, and experience on other roleplay servers where this rule is enforced, you end up creating more and more characters - and with quantity, quality of each character and their story declines, simply because I don't have unlimited resources (time and motivation) to create a new character after every death, regardless how non-sense it was.

As was already mentioned, there is apparently a rule already in place for those deemed to be "reckless with their lives" by admins, however they decide that. Personally, I'm against any kind of clauses that force a CK, because of aforementioned point I made.

And as a deterrent, I wanna create a comparison with real-life punishments that exist as deterrents, mainly the death penalty in US. 

According to https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/:

Nations that abol­ish the death penal­ty then tend to see their mur­der rates decline, accord­ing to a December 2018 report by the Abdorrahman Boroumand Center

You may ask why that is? Well, imagine yourself for a moment in shoes of someone who believes they committed a crime that warrants the death penalty. What do they have left to lose? Nothing. So, they will fight as hard as they can, as they have no reason to surrender - they'll be killed either way. This is why, in my opinion, we see that death penalty does not necessarily deter crime and may even sometimes encourage more crime.

Similarly, if a player believes their character has already acted in a way that admins would deem to be "reckless," they understand that they are at risk of losing their character upon death. In a way, yes - that puts stress and more value on them preserving their life and trying to get out of the situation they created out alive. However, on the other side of the coin, there will be many situations where admins will deem a simple act of escalation, or a situation they don't fully understand, as a "reckless act" and force a death on a character. Not to mention, players knowing that they will be given no choice but to character-kill if admins deem their actions to be "reckless," they have no reason to hold anything back - and they will take any opportunity given to them to fight anything and anyone even vaguely threatening them under the guise of being paranoid, resulting in more violence than if they are simply allowed to lose.

And that's what it all comes down to - allow people to lose without losing their entire character. Don't create arbitrary rules where unaware players don't think about how their actions may be perceived by admins, where there can be a misunderstanding. Roleplay stories always require full context to understand, admins don't have resources to scan through all the context every scene so they often make assumptions, and sometimes those assumptions are incorrect and result in false bans or jails, even without any malice on administrator's part - no one is perfect. 

I can handle a false admin jail, I can handle a false ban. I don't think I could take having my character forcefully CKed for seemingly no reason because an admin deemed my actions to be "reckless" without given context to the situation. 

I am strongly against any kind of forced CKs for these reasons. If you do end up going through them, ensure there is a proper channel to appeal all character kills that doesn't include microtransactions, otherwise people will quickly and very justifiably get pissed off. 

• Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...