hentai!'s ultimate shit PC FPS squeezing guide for GTA V and GTA World.

Hello. 

I'm hentai!, and I've been squeezing FPS out of this (only recently) badly optimized game for the past two to three years. My current system is an i3 2120 with a Radeon 6750HD (1GB VRAM) and 6GB of RAM. I recently bought a SSD and it is the only upgrade I have ever made to this almost ten year old PC.

This guide is here for people with shitty, old computers who strive to get as many FPS as possible in order to have an enjoyable experience on GTA World. If you're here with a 3090Ti and 420GB of DDR69 RAM then feel free to try some of these things out, though I assure you they will be next to useless.

With my system, I am getting at least 45/50FPS, sometimes 60-70 when the area is clear enough or the server is right after a restart. With that said, here's the guide.

The first step is having the right mentality.

Us, potato computer players are no worse or better than all the people with beefy, 2016+ computer hardware. In order to play on GTA World and enjoy it on such a bad system, you must learn to live with compromises. You must learn to live in peace with a few bugs, some FPS drops, occasional textures missing and other inconveniences. My example is proof that you can have a stable gaming experience even on a shitty computer, you just need to make the right compromises.

Things to remember and live by:

- use as little resources in the background as possible, do not use Discord, browsers etc. in the background when you play GTA World. If anything, use the Steam browser but remember to disable hardware acceleration in the Steam settings.
- use GTAWorld Assistant instead of recording software. Logs are usually enough to prove your point in a report and they can be easily checked by the administrators without the need to upload hundreds of megabytes worth of footage onto streamable or YouTube.
- learn to live with your shitty hardware. It will serve you to it's best potential, keep it in mind that your computer is trying it's best.
- remind yourself that Rockstar Games is a bunch of monkeys who can't properly deploy updates or fix their game. Most issues that cause missing textures for example were brought by the LS Summer Update, and then they were momentarily fixed by a silent patch two weeks later before shit hit the fan again and things came back to not so great.
- remember that not everyone is going to be targeted by these issues, there are people I talked to who have PCs at last five times stronger than mine and they still run into missing roads, stuttering when driving et cetera. It's bad game optimization and Rockstar Games is to be blamed for it.

Tips, applications and ways to squeeze more FPS out of your game without making it look like absolute dog crap. Not sponsored by any of these, just speaking from experience.

1. QuickCPU 

https://coderbag.com/product/quickcpu

QuickCPU is a program that is going to let you get the most out of your processor, but mainly it will unpark any parked cores you might have and in return it might boost performance. Games really love single core performance, but this is still a good thing to do for games like CS:GO for example, which might be more CPU-hungry. In the case of GTA V, the jump in performance will not be significant.

2. Intelligent Standby List Cleaner (ISLC)

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1256

ISLC is a program that purges the standby list and allows you to set a bunch of other options. If you're running into issues with RAM, trying this software out is worth it. Keep in mind that unused RAM is wasted RAM though. This might boost your performance or in some cases make things worse. Try it and judge for yourself. In my case, I didn't notice much difference when using it.

3. SSDs

If you're still playing on a hard drive, move on to a SSD as soon as possible. Remember that for the smoothest experience you should either have your system and game on the same drive, or have separate drives but both that are SSDs. I have only noticed a huge difference recently when I moved BOTH my OS and GTA V onto an SSD. When I had the OS on a HDD and the game on a SSD, the loading times improved but not much else. Now, I gained probably 5-10FPS and my computer runs like it's brand new. This is the single best upgrade you can get and SSDs nowadays are cheap, easily available and require zero knowledge to install. Remember that you might need a seperate SATA cable if you choose to buy one for an old PC.

4. RAGEMP settings

Ticking "Low Quality Server Assets" and optionally "Accelerated CEF Rendering" in your RAGEMP settings can improve framerate and stability due to less load being thrown at your PC by high-res textures et cetera.

z0o02pQ.png

In some cases, running RAGEMP as an administrator can also make it run smoother and be less prone to crashing.

5. GTA V Settings

The only settings to look out for are Tesselation, VSync and Windowed Borderless mode. I found that in some cases, when you come across road loading problems and similar issues, having VSync and Borderless enabled makes for smoother gameplay and minimizes the impact. You will still come across said issues but they will "recover" in a matter of seconds.

Tesselation only really drops FPS in the county because of the grass and leaves and whatever, therefore if you experience issues in those areas, turning it off could prove helpful.

If you don't mind your game looking a little bit less HD, then change your frame scaling to 5/6. It is a subtle, but very good change when it comes to getting more frames.

For extremely low end systems, you might find settings files such as this one HD Low End helpful.

6. GPU settings

Overclock your GPU to the best of it's abilities. If you have an old PC like me, you probably won't get much higher than 100mhz above memory and clock speed, but this guide is about squeezing as much FPS out of your game as possible. In my case overclocking the GPU even 85mhz up gave fantastic results.

If your GPU ends up running at over 95 celcius, consider slowing it down a bit. Though in my case, my Radeon 6750HD has been running like a champ for over eight years and I've seen it reach temperatures between 95 and 98 celcius. The higher I've had it was 105 degrees and after disassembling the card to clean it, I have noticed zero burns, molten plastic or other damage caused to the card. Do I recommend it? No. But if you are desperate and brave enough, let your GPU run at somewhat high temps. I do not believe in thermal throttling because it's a shit GPU from the 2010 era anyways. From personal experience over the years I have noticed that it's better off pushed to the limit than left at stock speeds. Anyone who tells you 85 degrees is a safe spot is technically right, but also spoiled enough to not have to put up with low end hardware bullshit and the high temperatures that come with using it over all in gaming.

7. Windows, commonly used apps and registry tweaks.

Referring to, mainly, YouTube guides on how to "Optimize Windows for FPS in games". Any screwing around in the services or registry is going to be your responsibility. There's plenty of guides on the internet along with videos which explain which services may and may not be disabled in order to gain more performance or release stress on your components. Beware that we are aiming to gain more FPS and not release as much RAM as possible or whatever. Like I said in the beginning - free RAM is wasted RAM.

I have spent the last five or so years tweaking, testing and over all messing around with the registry and such, but I can not confirm that anything many YouTubers, sites and forums recommend really helped. Do not touch the registry or services if you do not know what you're doing.

With all that said, things that actually work are:

- disabling startup programs. Talking to you, Discord.

- changing your power mode to Efficiency or using the QuickCPUScheme if you're using QuickCPU.
- closing background applications or unnecessary shit you don't need when you're playing on GTA World
- frequently restarting and shutting down your computer when you're done using it
- disabling your UAC (User Account Control), antivirus (Windows Defender or anything else). Antivirus software is a massive scam and the best antivirus is common sense. Don't click on shady links, be careful what sites you visit and you shall not need overpriced software to protect you. If you happen to get a virus, try things like Malwarebytes just to remove the infection and if that does not help, restart your system to factory settings.
- disabling hardware acceleration if you decide that you absolutely need to use Discord or a browser in the background
- performing a clean install or factory reset of Windows every 6-12 months

Conclusion

In conclusion, like I said before, these are ways that could potentially help you out with getting more FPS. It's hit or miss with a few of these things, just like how it is hit or miss with the issues themselves. Like I said, I know people with seriously beefy hardware who run into issues in areas like Davis and Strawberry because of the sheer amount of cancer that takes place there - from people forming up in groups to hundreds of cars being parked there throughout the day by people who join for an hour and then dip.

This post is not here to stir shit up with Rockstar Games, but it is worth pointing out that Rockstar Games have been terrible at optimizing this game for the last year or so and that the game has been running significantly better on lower end systems back in 2018 and 2019. It is also worth pointing out that GTA World is a big ass mod at it's core, just like how RAGEMP is a mod, a third party multiplayer client. GTA 5 modding requires a beefy computer even for small single player things, therefore do not be mad that your computer is not able to handle certain things. It's normal, it's how life is. I really wrote this guide just so people would feel better about their shitty hardware and low FPS, and I hope that some of these tips and software can help you out like they helped me out.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

I just have a problem where sometime the game doesn't load the road and the buildings (and players as well), this happens because of my cpu always on 90-100% while I play gta V, and the gpu is on 50%~. But framerate is stable. Do you have any tips for this? Without downloading these softwares or closing apps in background? 

30 minutes ago, bncal said:

I just have a problem where sometime the game doesn't load the road and the buildings (and players as well), this happens because of my cpu always on 90-100% while I play gta V, and the gpu is on 50%~. But framerate is stable. Do you have any tips for this? Without downloading these softwares or closing apps in background? 

Same issue here, but buildings very rarely disappears and I know it happens because of my HDD. I usually have a stable FPS around 60-63, but no matter what I do, my CPU usage is stuck between 90 and 100. Usually nearing 100. i5 4507S here.

Edited by colorlessrainbow

i7 7700 

8GB RAM 

GTX 1050

I experience stuttering whereas I could if swore in the past I didn’t have such problem even on high settings and it of course bothers me because if my game is not supposed to stutter but it does then something is not right.

I’ve tried a thousand tweaks and what not, nothing seems to help. I have QuickCPU, ISLC, power mode set to Ultimate, everything optimized for high performace AND settings set to Normal with the exception of Textures which is High, VSync is on, commandlines and other stuff and I really don’t understand what’s wrong.

Basically my game just freezes for a moment/stutters while driving mostly but it does happen on foot too. Any ideas?

3 hours ago, colorlessrainbow said:

Same issue here, but buildings very rarely disappears and I know it happens because of my HDD. I usually have a stable FPS around 60-63, but no matter what I do, my CPU usage is stuck between 90 and 100. Usually nearing 100. i5 4507S here.

I got a shitty ryzen 3 3200g 

7 hours ago, bncal said:

Like I said a few times bro.

Rockstar Games is a pathetic, useless bunch of monkeys who can't be bothered. The game itself uses resources badly, therefore your issues are caused by the CPU spiking up. Other people have issues with stuttering when driving because their game uses the GPU badly and caches textures in the GPU's VRAM, making the whole system choke. As of yet, the only solution that could be a fix in your case is using borderless + VSync. It did help in my case a bit. My game also runs into these issues, because I usually get a stable 60FPS in the city and the only problems I encounter are the aforementioned missing roads and buildings which take a moment to load. In my case moving the OS and game both to a SSD helped tremendously.

Edited by hentai!
13 hours ago, Infinity said:

i7 7700 

8GB RAM 

GTX 1050

I experience stuttering whereas I could if swore in the past I didn’t have such problem even on high settings and it of course bothers me because if my game is not supposed to stutter but it does then something is not right.

I’ve tried a thousand tweaks and what not, nothing seems to help. I have QuickCPU, ISLC, power mode set to Ultimate, everything optimized for high performace AND settings set to Normal with the exception of Textures which is High, VSync is on, commandlines and other stuff and I really don’t understand what’s wrong.

Basically my game just freezes for a moment/stutters while driving mostly but it does happen on foot too. Any ideas?

have you tried to delete your junk files like temp, prefetch and also? if yes, re-install your windows, it's obviously improving performance with 30-40fps (that happened to me on a i5 7500 1050ti 8gb ram).

13 hours ago, squeezy said:

have you tried to delete your junk files like temp, prefetch and also? if yes, re-install your windows, it's obviously improving performance with 30-40fps (that happened to me on a i5 7500 1050ti 8gb ram).

I’ll try reinstalling the windows, I feel like after every single windows update, the performance decreases.